Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Might be part of a general tidy up of the town for the tidy towns competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

No, the grey two-story building next to old Western Wholesale building, that was all boarded up, now has big new windows put in on the ground floor.

http://www.sligotown.net/western-wholesale-building-large.shtml

That grey building was the Western Wholesale shop. Next door were the offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

red sean wrote: »
    That grey building was the Western Wholesale shop. Next door were the offices.

Was in it a couple of times as a gossoon. Even got a look out from the tower on top which is still there. It was originally to used by the harbour master iirc to see ships coming into the docks. Pity it isn't done up as a tourist attraction (OK it'd be a shíte tourist attraction but hey).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The building was originally owned by Middleton & Pollexfen and built in 1858. The turret was used by Middleton ( grandfather of WBY) to see his ships coming up the channel. He could then dispatch a man to hire the best crew of dockers available before any one else and so have his delivery in stock ready for sale before the opposition!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

The building is being considered for the development of a big Art/Yeats centre but it will all come down to funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

thebuzz wrote: »
    The building is being considered for the development of a big Art/Yeats centre but it will all come down to funding.

I knew there had to be something more to our final year multidisciplinary project!
    It was the refurbishment of Pollexfen house and was to be like you said, a Yeats centre/cafe/library, etc.

We were the structural engineers for the refurbishment, with the Interior Architects taking care of the look, quantity surveyors and projects managers doing their part. Obviously none of our schemes would be used, but it was a nice project and would be great to see something like it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Could HMV be reopening as HMV/Xtra-Vision?

https://www.xtra-vision.ie/news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Could be but beside cinema not in JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

loki7777 wrote: »
    Could be but beside cinema not in JC.

Very small for a joint venture though would you not think?

That's what i am thinking - but i think the rent will be a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Can't see it going in Johnson's court. For dvd rentals/drop off Johnson's court wouldn't suit imo, access, opening hours, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Supposedly is true though no idea where they'll operate from.

The old HMV is still unoccupied so it's possible they could move in there. Put a collection box attached to a wall somewhere near the entrance and problem fixed regarding DVD returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Supposedly is true though no idea where they'll operate from.

The old HMV is still unoccupied so it's possible they could move in there. Put a collection box attached to a wall somewhere near the entrance and problem fixed regarding DVD returns?

Problem fixed for returns but not rentals, can't think of many people would decide to rent a movie until they get home, which would mean after closing time if they stayed in JC.

I'd say they would stay where they are, established base, good passing trade from cinema goers etc, I'm sure they could squeeze it all in there if it was done right, seeing as xtra vision sells cd's dvd's and games already.

Ah yes good point. I overlooked the rental part of it :o

So Marys of Sligo is opening up again right beside where they used to be (as the Post Office have taken over that spot). What has changed I wonder since the recession closed them as we still have 2 or 3 other discount stores in the town.

Landlords are probably copping on that their rent prices are way out of the depth of most retailers. Most likely reduced their costs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Proof that "We are closed due to the recession" is a load of old bollox in an awful lot of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Proof that "We are closed due to the recession" is a load of old bollox in an awful lot of cases.

How?

Because they are opening again on the same street after few months.
    It's a good excuse to lower your wages etc.

Or not pay their debts owed to the previous landlords and then re-open under a new name just a few doors down...

• Advertisement

Or not pay their debts owed to the previous landlords and then re-open under a new name just a few doors down...

You could be right, it could also be someone new opening a discount shop up under the Mary's name, I'd need more information myself before making judgement.

rizzodun wrote: »
    I'd need more information myself before making judgement.
    It's definitely the same crowd.

It's definitely the same crowd.

Let the conspiracy theories continue!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

When/where is CEX opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

When/where is CEX opening?
    I saw a sign outside where Broderick's Card Shop once was in Tesco Arcade..

.. but was gone a few days later.

Not sure what the status is there.

I am looking forward to the return of Hmv to Sligo,albeit in a smaller capacity!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I am looking forward to the return of Hmv to Sligo,albeit in a smaller capacity!

Are they re-opening here? I don't see Sligo on the to do list. :(

Hopefully eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Plazaman wrote: »

Hopefully eventually.

Was in the paper, one of those HMV/Xtravision merge shops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Plazaman wrote: »

Hopefully eventually.
    https://www.xtra-vision.ie/news scroll to the 29th of august

• Advertisement

Any1 know is this one HMV in Dublin accepts old gift cards?:) Or is it too soon to say?

Advertisement