Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Isn't this meant to be the stores opening or re-opening thread? It's sounding a bit like the Favourite Restaurant thread or the stores closing thread.

Just passing Xtravision/HMV in Wine Street to see if HMV have opened in it yet, and couldn't help noticing that the tree in front of the store is blocking the view of the shop front,should be removed really! HMV haven't moved in yet by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I think it is open today for the last time as XV. I am just hoping hmv will open befor the will send us new giftcards:)

So there will probably be a rebranding and refit over the weekend. Roll on HMV,even it will only be on a smaller scale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Just passing Xtravision/HMV in Wine Street to see if HMV have opened in it yet, and couldn't help noticing that the tree in front of the store is blocking the view of the shop front,should be removed really! HMV haven't moved in yet by the way!

Ah no, that tree provides a bit of character. And it's noy nice cutting down trees.

Was in yesterday evening - some stock of CDs were being put out and they looked like they had a huge delivery to be processed, so it looks like HMV are (kind of) back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Saw this poster in the Xtravision window :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Apparently Michael Flannery Car Sales (formerly Citroen) in Rathcormac is re-opening.
    I'd imagine without a main dealership.
    Been closed about a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Oisink238

It looks like HMV / XtraVision is moving into the old Josef store in johnstons court. Was walking past today and all the shelves from the old HMV store were being moved in and all the posters from the old store were being put up on the walls in the josef store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Just waiting for my gift card:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Oisink238 wrote: »
    It looks like HMV / XtraVision is moving into the old Josef store in johnstons court. Was walking past today and all the shelves from the old HMV store were being moved in and all the posters from the old store were being put up on the walls in the josef store.

Just for storage maybe? I thought the HMV/Xtravision venture was going into the old/existing Xtravision outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

The Xtravision shop appears to be getting alot of stock ordered in and maintenance this week. I noticed the Josef store was open on Thursday with little activity. Assumed the Yankee Candle store was just popping up for Christmas.

As Xtravision and HMV are now a co-brand, I can't envisage how the former would operate with DVD returns/rentals after Johnston Court closes at 6pm

Well I think we can very safely now assume HMV/Xtravision are NOT moving in the Johnsons Court. Have no links for this, its purely word of mouth, but its an independent CD/DVD/Gadget shop that is moving into the former Jean Scene/Joseph Unit.

;)

Couldn't see an independent opening if HMV were to move in right next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Well I think we can very safely now assume HMV/Xtravision are NOT moving in the Johnsons Court. Have no links for this, its purely word of mouth, but its an independent CD/DVD/Gadget shop that is moving into the former Jean Scene/Joseph Unit.

;)

Couldn't see an independent opening if HMV were to move in right next door.

Indeed one might assume that, but its not always the case. Sometimes the best place to open say, a shoe shop, is beside another shoe shop. Cos if someone wants to buy a pair of shoes, they are more likely to go to where 2 or 3 shoe shops are close to each other, for the increased choice and to compare prices.

A rumour that I heard was that the guy in Derry who was in dispute with HMV over the name he called his store, is looking for a unit in Sligo!

A rumour that I heard was that the guy in Derry who was in dispute with HMV over the name he called his store, is looking for a unit in Sligo!

Well the Jean Scene/Joseph Unit is already currently been fitting as my description above, and planned to open within next couple of weeks. Dont know if its the same guy in Derry or not.

Could it be CEX? What happened to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I was thinking the same thing.

Are they not part of a chain or a franchise?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Are they not part of a chain or a franchise?

That they are, but the much-rumoured store was supposed to open around the start of September.

Two shops that I've just noticed.
    One is called Smart Cubby they sell baby and children's wear, equipment, toys boys etc. Just off O'Connell Street near the Shoe Hospital. They also pay €1 per kilo for baby clothes and sell equipment for customers.

The other one is Fashion Den on John Street. Good quality second-hand clothes. They also sell new jewellery and accessories and do clothes alterations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

magnumlady wrote: »
    Two shops that I've just noticed.
    One is called Smart Cubby they sell baby and children's wear, equipment, toys boys etc. Just off O'Connell Street near the Shoe Hospital. They also pay €1 per kilo for baby clothes and sell equipment for customers.

The other one is Fashion Den on John Street. Good quality second-hand clothes. They also sell new jewellery and accessories and do clothes alterations.

Thumbs up for fashion den, lovely ladies and already have had some items altered there, with no delay as I've had to wait up to two weeks for some items in the Alteration Centre on O'Connell street, they must be very busy now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A new gift shop called Cadeaux is opening up in the corner shop across the road from the cinema. They're opening up later this month. Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/cadeaux.ie

There is a new women's clothes shop in Johnsons Court called Ruby Lane. I think it's owned by the guy who owns E.Js because I seen him standing about the shop when I walked by.

A new gift shop called Cadeaux is opening up in the corner shop across the road from the cinema. They're opening up later this month. Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/cadeaux.ie

There is a new women's clothes shop in Johnsons Court called Ruby Lane. I think it's owned by the guy who owns E.Js because I seen him standing about the shop when I walked by.

Ruby Lane has been there a long time, they used to be upstairs (above Cactus Jam).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

magnumlady wrote: »
    Ruby Lane has been there a long time, they used to be upstairs (above Cactus Jam).

Never knew there was anything up stairs in Cactus Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

There's a shop next door to the new post office on Castle st. called Marys discount store, didn't go in, but looks like it's selling the same crap discount items that Marys of Sligo used to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

There's a shop next door to the new post office on Castle st. called Marys discount store, didn't go in, but looks like it's selling the same crap discount items that Marys of Sligo used to

But a much smaller range of products.

For once a rumour has turned out to be true.Spotted workers fitting out this store on Saturday,its to be called MAD,cds,dvds and gadgets.The same name as the store in Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

I know it's not exactly a store, and maybe this is the wrong place but has anyone heard that the Crozon Inn is supposed to be opening soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I know it's not exactly a store, and maybe this is the wrong place but has anyone heard that the Crozon Inn is supposed to be opening soon.

Do we know what as? A soup kitchen?

• Advertisement

There's something going on in the Tesco Arcade where Broderick's used to be. No idea what it's going to be though.
    Also work going on where Four Star Pizza used to be.

Advertisement