Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

New coffee shop on Wine Street just caught my eye. Oscars, just before you turn into the Quayside pedestrian street.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    New coffee shop on Wine Street just caught my eye. Oscars, just before you turn into the Quayside pedestrian street.
    Saw it last week alright.. quite easily missed I thought. Almost walked past it, but they may not have signage while I was going by.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I heard that the guy from Café de Paris was moving to a spot around there, might be that? If it is, it's a much better part of Quayside to be on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I heard that the guy from Café de Paris was moving to a spot around there, might be that? If it is, it's a much better part of Quayside to be on!
    it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I see Feehilys Bar (aka McCullaghs) on the corner of Stephen St/Bridge St is being refurbished into a new bar - Lillies. At least I presume it's a bar the sign says something like join us for a quiet drink. Hope they don't mean coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Plazaman wrote: »
    I see Feehilys Bar (aka McCullaghs) on the corner of Stephen St/Bridge St is being refurbished into a new bar - Lillies. At least I presume it's a bar the sign says something like join us for a quiet drink. Hope they don't mean coffee.

http://www.facebook.com/lillies.sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Did they say when they are offically opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Cavanaghs O'Connell St, will it re-open ever again? the fleadh? It would be great to see anything in that space after so long

Cavanaghs O'Connell St, will it re-open ever again? the fleadh? It would be great to see anything in that space after so long

At this rate, by August, there will be plenty of empty stores in O'Connell street that may be available for rent for Fleadh weekend.

On a side note, for the 1990 Fleadh, I remember a guy taking out the windows of his house in Union Street and making a ton of sandwiches to "make a fortune". I think he sold three all weekend. Not as nice as my apple tart that I got beside the old Gaiety and ate with a pint of Guinness in the Bohemian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

"Ali's Kebab Shop and traditional takeaway" opening soon where Borza used to be on Mail Coach Road according to sign in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Any truth in the H&M rumours?

Where for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

You're right fillefatalle, the marketing for that new pub Lillies is not coming off well.

I don't like the name, sounds weak, you want your local to have a good sturdy name. Also, I had assumed it was Lily's, as in the possessive form of the womans name, when I heard it said, as many pubs are named that way (for example: Foley's, Furey's).But the signs and facebook say Lillies, which would be the plural form of the flower called the lily, and that's an odd thing to call a pub. And even then it's spelled incorrectly, should be with one L as 'Lilies'. Lily's looks much better typed out than Lillies as well IMO.

And the logo is just some random frame from shutterstock or somewhere similar.

Also word of mouth in town is really important and the rumor was that it will be cocktail bar, which sorta fits the name but tbh I don't think many people round here want to pay through the nose for weak sugary drinks which is what you get when you order cocktails on nights out, and those drinks take ages to serve as well. So I wish them well but what I'm seeing and hearing so far doesn't appeal to me. Though maybe the wimmins will take to it, and if they do, the men will be in to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

sligoface wrote: »
    You're right fillefatalle, the marketing for that new pub Lillies is not coming off well.

I don't like the name, sounds weak, you want your local to have a good sturdy name. Also, I had assumed it was Lily's, as in the possessive form of the womans name, when I heard it said, as many pubs are named that way (for example: Foley's, Furey's).But the signs and facebook say Lillies, which would be the plural form of the flower called the lily, and that's an odd thing to call a pub. And even then it's spelled incorrectly, should be with one L as 'Lilies'. Lily's looks much better typed out than Lillies as well IMO.

Also word of mouth in town is really important and the rumor was that it will be cocktail bar, which sorta fits the name but tbh I don't think many people round here want to pay through the nose for weak sugary drinks which is what you get when you order cocktails on nights out, and those drinks take ages to serve as well. So I wish them well but what I'm seeing and hearing so far doesn't appeal to me. Though maybe the wimmins will take to it, and if they do, the men will be in to be sure!

Probably some take on Lillie's Bordello in Dublin. Funnily enough I asked the bouncers in Toffs one night if he thought he was on the door of Lillies the way he was carrying on but thats a rant for another day

Considering the rate in which high street shops are closing down in town, I highly doubt it.

sligoface wrote: »

Could be a deliberate tactic to nancify the place to deter the usual degenrates that are barred from everywhere else that flock to new pubs to chance their arm and test out the water. A fluffy cocktail bar won't attract that kind of clientele (hopefully).

I'm sure they'll have draft beers though, won't they?

Could be a deliberate tactic to nancify the place to deter the usual degenrates that are barred from everywhere else that flock to new pubs to chance their arm and test out the water. A fluffy cocktail bar won't attract that kind of clientele (hopefully).

I'm sure they'll have draft beers though, won't they?

Being close to Shenanigans, and Toffs, can imigine it may be a young crowd. Still nice to see a new place opening though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I would love to have a really nice cocktail bar, but good proper cocktails lots of choice. It's not something you'd go to often but would be nice to have it there :)can't imagine how that kind of business would survive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Lillie's. It's gonna be a tough job to still be open by Christmas. Only chance in my opinion is students or offering something extra special to attract a different kinda customer. Good luck to them whatever it is.

• Advertisement

sari wrote: »
    I would love to have a really nice cocktail bar, but good proper cocktails lots of choice. It's not something you'd go to often but would be nice to have it there :)can't imagine how that kind of business would survive though

Yes a dedicated cocktail bar in town will be a hard sell, considering cocktails are typically €6 upwards. I had a cocktail in 5th on Teeling shortly after it reopened and when I asked for a whiskey sour the barman began making a manhattan and was going to add whiskey to it instead! I had to point his error.. A cocktail place would probably work if it was offered in a pub that was already in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Is it definitely a cocktail bar or are people just going by the rumour? Fairly sure they had live music in there tonight and last night, can't imagine much of that in a fancy cocktail bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was in Lillie's tonight.. nice little place, good atmosphere and they were selling a fair few cocktails while I was there!

Only thing I'd say is the smell of fresh paint and varnish in the place was a bit much..

Some nice shots on the wall - mostly music based. Myself and a mate were particularly intrigued by a photo of Phil Lynott and some of Thin Lizzy in a row boat where The Glasshouse would be now. Very cool shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bodidly

The landlord of the old bistro on o'connell st. is apparently opening an Italian restaurant there with wood burning oven in May

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Bodidly wrote: »
    The landlord of the old bistro on o'connell st. is apparently opening an Italian restaurant there with wood burning oven in May

There's a good few of Itailian restaurants in sligo in which there should be a lotta variety that hasn't been to sligo before. Although I have to say bravo to the Itailians for lifting Sligo's spirits.

Vlove wrote: »
    There's a good few of Itailian restaurants in sligo in which there should be a lotta variety that hasn't been to sligo before. Although I have to say bravo to the Itailians for lifting Sligo's spirits.

How many are genuine italian [owned] restaurants though? Rugantino trumps them all by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Same as what was there before then and now moved around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

We'll soon be tripping over pizzas on the streets there will be that many pizza places in town.

Does anyone remember the Simpsons episode where Bart goes into a mall to have his ear pierced and by the time he leaves, all the shops in the mall have been taken over by Starbucks coffee shops? Could the same happen with Italian places in Sligo?

Ah well, maybe when they open they might be able to take your correct order the first time you give it to them, unlike Robertos where you come back 10 minutes later after placing your order and they look at you like you have 2 heads. Then theres a conflab and an arguement between the staff who ignore you for another 5 minutes then the girl who originally took your order (and looks like she has no desire to be there) eventually says there was a mix up with the order. Eventually when you get your pizza and take it home, it is the wrong order and probably theres some other sap standing in Robertos continuing the cycle.

• Advertisement

Ah well, maybe when they open they might be able to take your correct order the first time you give it to them, unlike Robertos where you come back 10 minutes later after placing your order and they look at you like you have 2 heads. Then theres a conflab and an arguement between the staff who ignore you for another 5 minutes then the girl who originally took your order (and looks like she has no desire to be there) eventually says there was a mix up with the order. Eventually when you get your pizza and take it home, it is the wrong order and probably theres some other sap standing in Robertos continuing the cycle.

I've fallen out of love with the place too - too many orders of undercooked chips and when I complained I was told that's how they did them there, no apologies. I won't be returning.

Advertisement