Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Anyways EZ furniture has opened in the retail park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

if i were in charge (whether id be doing the right thing or not) first thing I would lift is that stupid environs rule that dictate what shops cannot open up at the cararoe retail park, that might help with filling up the empty units up there! - are there any other towns in Ireland with such a stupid rule/plan like this or is it just Sligo?

I'm going right off topic here. I'm sure a threat has been done on this already, but I think there some logic to the rule; imagine if some or all of the following were to up sticks and go to the retail park: Tesco, Pennys, Next, TK Maxx, Lifestyle sports, Elverys, etc. I'm not suggesting that some of them couldn't already go, but if a big one like Tesco left it probably wouldn't be long before the rest followed suit. What would be left in the town then?? I think you'd see a lot of smaller businesses closing their doors due to the reduced footfall in the town. It might not be great now, but it'd be worse if this happened IMO.

(Mod, feel free to move post to a more suitable thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Kevin3

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I'm going right off topic here. I'm sure a threat has been done on this already, but I think there some logic to the rule; imagine if some or all of the following were to up sticks and go to the retail park: Tesco, Pennys, Next, TK Maxx, Lifestyle sports, Elverys, etc. I'm not suggesting that some of them couldn't already go, but if a big one like Tesco left it probably wouldn't be long before the rest followed suit. What would be left in the town then?? I think you'd see a lot of smaller businesses closing their doors due to the reduced footfall in the town. It might not be great now, but it'd be worse if this happened IMO.

(Mod, feel free to move post to a more suitable thread)

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. I think the holding of businesses hostage in the town centre is the biggest thing holding the town back. Tesco in its present location is an utter farce. There is absolutely no space in the shop, everything is all over the place and the layout is pathetic. Pennys is the same. The store fronts then have the aesthetic appearance of something out of the 70's. Then you have the chronic parking issues in Wine Street car park because of the footfall for these shops. Going around and around in circles at snails pace looking for a space and then having to pay for that parking. Does this sound like somewhere you would like to shop? Is it any wonder you have people willing to travel to towns further away to shop in comfort?

What's wrong with having bigger stores and supermarkets out in purpose built units with plenty of free parking? I might then be more inclined to go into the town centre to visit the other shops knowing I'll be able to get parking and browse in comfort. Why does Sligo have to be so different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

the powers that be in sligo would do no harm at looking what they have done in nearby Carrick-on-Shannon and doing the similar kind of thing - they seem to get on OK with the retail park there, and a big tesco and the town centre still has footfall - and castlebar town is good, how comes these places have got it right but sligo town keep citing that if you dont put everything bang in the town centre then no-one would shop in the town centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 popnbox

Vlove wrote: »
    Well its better then having another charity shop- we have enough of them around and dont leave as House of furniture or house of value did!
    ...the retail park would b the perfect choice for a supermarket..badly needed..traffic around town and parking fees ect sucks, and speaking frm a consumers point with kids..i would prefer stress fee shoping and a choice.

• Advertisement

popnbox wrote: »
    ...the retail park would b the perfect choice for a supermarket..badly needed..traffic around town and parking fees ect sucks, and speaking frm a consumers point with kids..i would prefer stress fee shoping and a choice.

well, all that mucking about with (what was it treasury holdings or whoever it was) that never ever went ahead then thats when they should have decided to move Tesco up to the retail park at carraroe - if not up there move it to the retail park in cleeveragh retail park where smyths used to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

they should have decided to move Tesco up to the retail park at carraroe

No, towns should be developed from the centre out, with proper planning. As someone else said, if a big one like Tesco left it probably wouldn't be long before the rest followed suit. What would be left in the town then? I lived in England a few years ago and the town centres where supermarkets were allowed up sticks and move to a site a few miles outside a town only leaves the town centres dead, full of decaying buildings and charity shops. Urban sprawl is like bungalow bliss ribbon development which blights the Irish countryside - at least the planners are learning from past mistakes. Dunnes / Tesco / Pennys should be rebuilt in Sligo, and proper car parking facilities added. Also a McDonalds or such like would be no harm in Sligo, for cheap fast consistent grub. If Sligo wants to call itself a city it should act like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

malibu4u wrote: »
    No, towns should be developed from the centre out, with proper planning. As someone else said, if a big one like Tesco left it probably wouldn't be long before the rest followed suit. What would be left in the town then? I lived in England a few years ago and the town centres where supermarkets were allowed up sticks and move to a site a few miles outside a town only leaves the town centres dead, full of decaying buildings and charity shops. Urban sprawl is like bungalow bliss ribbon development which blights the Irish countryside - at least the planners are learning from past mistakes. Dunnes / Tesco / Pennys should be rebuilt in Sligo, and proper car parking facilities added. Also a McDonalds or such like would be no harm in Sligo, for cheap fast consistent grub. If Sligo wants to call itself a city it should act like one.

With respect sounds a lot like Sligo's town centre at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

rizzodun wrote: »
    With respect sounds a lot like Sligo's town centre at the moment...

It would be worse if Pennys and Dunnes and Tesco left the town. Then if that happened, as a relation who lives in Sligo says, you could build a fence around Sligo and declare it to be a wildlife sanctuary. Cheaper and more car parking in the town should be the first thing the planners should ensure. This would encourage people ( eg people who live between Sligo and Carrick, or Sligo and Ballina ) to visit Sligo, and like tourists to stay for longer, sample the excellent cafes etc. Without worrying about excess car parking tickets and charges. Its a country town/city, 1.20 per hour is too much. Make it 50 cent an hour,and provide more parking spaces convenient to the inner relief road. Let everyone enjoy the spinoff from increased business activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

New gym in sligo down by the quays. Best of luck to keith the owner he's a good fella

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1504868066423898&refid=46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Cullens Bar has closed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

What's going on in the old Awear unit on O'Connel St?

You could look into it yesterday and all lights were on. Nothing blocking the windows. Are they renovating it for something?

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    What's going on in the old Awear unit on O'Connel St?

You could look into it yesterday and all lights were on. Nothing blocking the windows. Are they renovating it for something?

cor - it couldnt be the burger king we were supposed to be getting in sligo could it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cor - it couldnt be the burger king we were supposed to be getting in sligo could it???

I thought that was rumoured for Gratten/Castle St.

i dont want to come across un-caring but it is not our issue as consumers / customers to matter what happens to other shops in the town centre should say a couple of stores such as Tesco or Penneys up sticks and go up to retail park if they were allowed. Im sure if there are still a good rake of shops (where people want to shop) will still draw shoppers to the town centre as well as the retail park. I dunno put them up there, run a cheap/free shuttle bus from retail park, lower price of rent/rates in the town centre so more businesses can afford to open up shops there

- you dont necessarily have to have all boarded up shops in the town centre when a couple of anchor stores up sticks to a retail park - if you have then the issue of boarded up shops and a town centre that no-one wants to visitis the powers that be or chamber or whoever who runs things for not having enough imagination to replace the space left by the anchor stores.

in any case its too hypothetical at the moment if Tesco would open up a supermarket at carraroe retail park anyway or anywhere else at the moment because i read a statement somewhere that owing to poor retail figures they are ceasing opening any more new stores in the UK and ROI and are supposed to be lying off staff - but I still think when things were going good they should have considered it and anyone wishing to open up a store up there should fight this environ plan to the very death and get them to lift this ban on opening up any store up there.

Tesco Sligo has to one of the worst, if not the worst Tesco store in Ireland, charged for parking in a car park it's impossible to get around at the best of times , not to mention the fact that every single time I go into the place I'm falling over trolleys of stock left sitting in the aisles. It's dank, dirty and impossible to get around, want to get books/dvd's printer ink and toys? Upstairs, but the opening hours of that side are inconsistent and if you need to use the lift to get up it's like a game of roulette whether it is open or not.
    The car park is rutted, and pushing a properly weighted trolley acroos the car park can be difficult.

Penneys has a very crowded layout, very hard to get through and look at anything off of the main aisle if you have a buggy.

All in all shopping in these stores in Sligo is not a pleasant experience.

Dunnes stores in Cranmore has free parking, a car park with a smoother surface for trolleys, and a much better laid out and presented store, I would pick Dunnes over Tesco/Penneys any day of the week, for me those stores do not persuade me to shop in the town centre, they dissuade me from it.

Tesco Sligo has to one of the worst, if not the worst Tesco store in Ireland, charged for parking in a car park it's impossible to get around at the best of times , not to mention the fact that every single time I go into the place I'm falling over trolleys of stock left sitting in the aisles. It's dank, dirty and impossible to get around, want to get books/dvd's printer ink and toys? Upstairs, but the opening hours of that side are inconsistent and if you need to use the lift to get up it's like a game of roulette whether it is open or not.
    The car park is rutted, and pushing a properly weighted trolley acroos the car park can be difficult.

Penneys has a very crowded layout, very hard to get through and look at anything off of the main aisle if you have a buggy.

All in all shopping in these stores in Sligo is not a pleasant experience.

Dunnes stores in Cranmore has free parking, a car park with a smoother surface for trolleys, and a much better laid out and presented store, I would pick Dunnes over Tesco/Penneys any day of the week, for me those stores do not persuade me to shop in the town centre, they dissuade me from it.

I tell you the Tesco I like, I cant think whether its the castlebar or the carrick on shannon one, but it has like a little cafe with very reasonable priced snacks and meals, very big and well laid out and free clean toilets and plenty of good parking space .

And as for Penneys well my daughter loves the 2 storey penneys in Ballina , she wishes they could have that size one in Sligo - I admit its such a nice bright clean large airy store that one in Ballina - in fact if Ballina was the same distance as sligo or just a bit further I would not bother with shopping in Sligo town at all! - Now sligo could do no harm in looking at places like Ballina and carrick on shannon and that lot and seeing if they could change the layout and do something similar, I cant see why not, but first thing that would have to go is the stupid environs plan and any other plan which dictates where people can set up shop in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Technically Tesco's carpark is free if you spend over €25/€30 (can't rem which), you just have to go through the council's horrible uneven bombsite of a carpark to get to it!!!
    Penneys were waiting on the redevelopment of the whole Wine Street carpark area to renovate their store. A friend of mine was chatting to the manager who claimed they're getting a refit this year (please note, "refit", not "renovation")

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The redevelopment of Wine street car park has been a disaster for the town centre. It would have been great if it had gone ahead but the fact it had been put off and delayed for so long, really held back the town. Hopefully now that the treasury holdings plan is dead in the water, all the interested parties can come together and really do something with it.

• Advertisement

Blowdry bar beside Enable Ireland just opened there yesterday

Sweet Beat Cafe will open soon according to the Green Warriors facebook page. Location will be revealed next week.

https://touch.facebook.com/GreenWarriorSligo/photos/a.524064314340755.1073741828.108414215905769/781224048624779/?type=1&source=46&ref=bookmark

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jodski

Tiger is coming to Quayside soon :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,950 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jodski wrote: »
    Tiger is coming to Quayside soon :-)
    Looks like it..

6UCdtG.png

Can't say I ever heard of them before now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Basq wrote: »
    Looks like it..

6UCdtG.png

Can't say I ever heard of them before now..

There's a trainer brand called Tiger, part of Assics. Wonder if any connection, hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jodski

It's a Scandinavian super cheap discount store with really nice quirky stuff

ive never been in one but my daughter has been in one up in Dublin and said it was good

Yep... another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,950 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep... another one
    To be honest.. from looking at their website.. some of the stuff looks a bit different from the sort of stuff you'd see in other "pound shops" etc.

Time will tell though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Yep... another one

My thoughts exactly.
    Their stuff looks a bit like the crap items you get in homestore and more.

Advertisement