Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Tiger, Unit 9 Quayside Shopping Centre, Sligo, opens Wednesday March 25 at 10am, and subsequently Monday – Saturday from 10am – 6pm, with late opening on Thursday. (Sligo Today)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Was in Tiger earlier, it's a really lovely spot. Great bargains too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Yeah although it's not really a big store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Vlove wrote: »
    Yeah although it's not really a big store

I thought it was quite cramped my self, although that may have been down to extra customers on opening day.

Any idea what their other stores floor size are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,950 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was in Tiger this morning... not for me, stuff a little too kitschy - just a glorified arts and crafts shop with a few household items thrown in. Far too small also.

Hope it does well.. but can't see it to be honest!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Anyone know if Quayside is managed or who it is managed by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Basq wrote: »
    Was in Tiger this morning... not for me, stuff a little too kitschy - just a glorified arts and crafts shop with a few household items thrown in. Far too small also.

Hope it does well.. but can't see it to be honest!

Thought of it as a glorified pound shop myself. Good for few bits for christmas stocking presents, but that's all I think.See how it does in a few weeks when the buzz dies down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone know if Quayside is managed or who it is managed by?

http://www.quayside.ie/contact-us

Manager: Christine Dolan (details in the link).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Great to see work being done on the Bella Vista Bar in Strandhill. The lads from 5th on Teeling have taken it over. It's completely gutted at the moment so that's no harm as I never liked the layout of it from the getgo, too much like a hotel foyer. Hoping to reopen on the May Bank Holiday.

• Advertisement

Sweet Beat Cafe is opening where Chapters use to be this Wednesday!

Was really hoping it wasn't going in there. Useless location. No passing trade. Very few will make a continuous effort to walk over there from town. Read that old Aviva building got planning for change of purpose to a restaurant (not a takeaway), was nearly sure that was where she was going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree....no coffee shop that has opened here has ever lasted.
    Was really hoping it wasn't going in there. Useless location. No passing trade. Very few will make a continuous effort to walk over there from town. Read that old Aviva building got planning for change of purpose to a restaurant (not a takeaway), was nearly sure that was where she was going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Yeah I posted about it in the restaurants thread.

Well some of the other cafes weren't very good at marketing themselves. I'm confident and optimistic for the Sweet Beat Cafe.

Official launch from 11am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

How the hell are all the cafe's managing to survive in the town and over 50% of them serve bland food and average service.

sligono1 wrote: »
    How the hell are all the cafe's managing to survive in the town and over 50% of them serve bland food and average service.

You've got me there - maybe people are afraid to try something new, their loss. Sampled Carolanne's stuff over the years, and it delivers on taste, quality, and I imagine the service will be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

No I'm talking in general here I'm going to name names but the better let's say smaller cafe's seem to struggle yet the bigger throw out bland food with zero personality by staff

sligono1 wrote: »
    No I'm talking in general here I'm going to name names but the better let's say smaller cafe's seem to struggle yet the bigger throw out bland food with zero personality by staff

Oh I know exactly where you're talking about - Bland with a capital B, but its mostly people of a certain age I see in these places, who prefer it safe and unadventurous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

New Dry Cleaners opening where The Bistro used to be on High Street, and whilst not a new store, its finally great to see, self service laundry machines have been installed at Cannings Spar/Texico at the top of the Pearce Road.

It seems there's gonna be a new store called 'Knox' beside Boots opening soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I was looking forward to going in there on Saturday last week, round 1ish; closed.
    Tried it again yesterday at around 4; closed.

Wont be going out of my way to try again.

I was looking forward to going in there on Saturday last week, round 1ish; closed.
    Tried it again yesterday at around 4; closed.

Wont be going out of my way to try again.

It's closed at weekends for the first few weeks of opening as she is still training at the weekend in different areas. Don't know why it closed early on a Friday afternoon tho! But ya it's an effort walking over there from town....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It's closed at weekends for the first few weeks of opening as she is still training at the weekend in different areas. Don't know why it closed early on a Friday afternoon tho! But ya it's an effort walking over there from town....

To be fair, if walking to Bridge street 'from town' is an effort the town is doomed, not a dig at you, but it's a common opinion, the town is more or less a square of 4 or 5 streets, any of the streets off of this are nearly forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Does anyone know if Curleys furniture store is still open? Based over in Collooney business park. I phoned them on Friday and got no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

To my knowledge there are no furniture places there at all now. Oxmount was the last one to leave last year.

rizzodun wrote: »
    To be fair, if walking to Bridge street 'from town' is an effort the town is doomed, not a dig at you, but it's a common opinion, the town is more or less a square of 4 or 5 streets, any of the streets off of this are nearly forgotten about.

I totally agree with you. IMO 'town' is from Heaton's on Castle Street across Grattan Street, up/down O'Connell Street and over as far as Quayside on Wine Street and up as far as Henry Jewelers on High Street.

If you're turning off O'Connell Street to go over Stephen Street, imo, you have a specific purpose, such as going to the bank, CU, solicitor, accountant, estate agents etc. What else would take you over that direction?

Even when I want to go to the Gourmet Parlour, 9 times out of 10, I drive around and park on double yellows, primarily because they have a crap stock level and going in to look for a scone or bread or an apple tart after 11am is a fruitless task and I have been agitated many times having 'made the effort' to walk over to come out empty handed, mostly in the rain.

However, if Bridge Street, in it's current proximity to O'Connell Street was say in Galway, a street that near to Shop Street, then it would be considered no distance at all and right bang in the centre but in Sligo it's the general opinion that it is out of the way.

I really hope the cafe works out for her but I just wish she had chosen a better spot for it, I also wish she had kept the name Green Warrior but that's irrelevant to location.

I totally agree with you. IMO 'town' is from Heaton's on Castle Street across Grattan Street, up/down O'Connell Street and over as far as Quayside on Wine Street and up as far as Henry Jewelers on High Street.

If you're turning off O'Connell Street to go over Stephen Street, imo, you have a specific purpose, such as going to the bank, CU, solicitor, accountant, estate agents etc. What else would take you over that direction?

Even when I want to go to the Gourmet Parlour, 9 times out of 10, I drive around and park on double yellows, primarily because they have a crap stock level and going in to look for a scone or bread or an apple tart after 11am is a fruitless task and I have been agitated many times having 'made the effort' to walk over to come out empty handed, mostly in the rain.

However, if Bridge Street, in it's current proximity to O'Connell Street was say in Galway, a street that near to Shop Street, then it would be considered no distance at all and right bang in the centre but in Sligo it's the general opinion that it is out of the way.

I really hope the cafe works out for her but I just wish she had chosen a better spot for it, I also wish she had kept the name Green Warrior but that's irrelevant to location.

I think its a lovely location, near enough to the riverside - brings a bit of life to Bridge Street too. I'd pass by there frequently from Connaughton Rd car park on my way into town via Castle st.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

rizzodun wrote: »
    I would cosider that side of bridge street out of the way, more so than the side with the Gourmet Parlour, for the simple fact that every car going through town has to pass through it. It being at the end of a footpath doesn't help. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a path on that side of the bridge.
    whatswhat wrote: »
    To my knowledge there are no furniture places there at all now. Oxmount was the last one to leave last year.
    There's not. Was Curleys and Oxmount the same place? From what I gathered they moved back out to Easkey?

I honestly cannot believe that crossing the street to get to a good coffee shop is an effort or an ordeal !!

• Advertisement

Been there today with my daughter and must say it's worth the hassle of crossing the street !

Advertisement