Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Welcome to Sligo.

Could happen anywhere to a recently opened establishment, it's hard to gauge what's going to happen. If they're pro's it won't happen again. :) Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Nice one! What is their selection of craft beers like,is there a good selection available?

i don't know it was a lunch i was in for and didn't get a chance to get a beer but look forward to it next time i'm in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

red sean wrote: »
    Thats a bad start. Very amateur.
    Surely they could only take as many orders as they had seats for, and the kitchen couldn't handle a full house ????

hopefully it's just a starting wobble, i'm sure they'll be on top of it knowing the people involved in running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mayoabc

Just curious has anyone heard anything new about a h&m coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

mayoabc wrote: »
    Just curious has anyone heard anything new about a h&m coming?

They are not even in Galway, there is not a hope in hell they will come to Sligo, especially at the rate high street stores have closed down in this town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

There's a new butchers opening in collooney called......
    For Petes Steak!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

For Petes Steak!

Class name:)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

They are not even in Galway, there is not a hope in hell they will come to Sligo, especially at the rate high street stores have closed down in this town.

TK Maxx were in Sligo for years before they opened in Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

catreyn wrote: »
    TK Maxx were in Sligo for years before they opened in Galway

Fair enough but I think it's irrelevant taking that into account following the last few years.

If I were head of a major fashion label deciding where to open our next store in Ireland and I had the choice between Galway and Sligo, I know where I'd pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Fair enough but I think it's irrelevant taking that into account following the last few years.

If I were head of a major fashion label deciding where to open our next store in Ireland and I had the choice between Galway and Sligo, I know where I'd pick.

You could also add Letterkenny, Donegal town or Carrick on Shannon as better choices than Sligo too I would say.

• Advertisement

Galway apparently has the highest rates in all of Ireland. I was talking to someone in Homebase who said that the rates there were so expensive that they chose Sligo instead because it was so expensive it would have eaten into any profits

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

For Petes Steak!

Not exactly what that village needs, there was also a butcher about 30m further up the road, along with the meat counter in the Centra. Heard there's to be a hairdresser moving into the unit next to it. Another one! All Collooney seems to have in it is hairdressers, butchers and pubs, and alot of people who haven't learned how to park, or drive!

There was a mention of Wetherspoons on Ocean Fm this morning,on Niall Delaneys show.Didn't quite hear it all,does anybody have any more information?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There was a mention of Wetherspoons on Ocean Fm this morning, on Niall Delaneys show.Didn't quite hear it all,does anybody have any more information?

It'd be great if one opened in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

There is work going on in the old post office on Castle St (the one that closed a couple of years ago). The planning notice on the window suggests it is going to be a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

There is work going on in the old post office on Castle St (the one that closed a couple of years ago). The planning notice on the window suggests it is going to be a restaurant.

Is the town not getting a bit crowded with restaurants by now? Although I haven't eaten out in quite a while, and there's not many that cater for coeliacs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

rizzodun wrote: »
    Is the town not getting a bit crowded with restaurants by now? Although I haven't eaten out in quite a while, and there's not many that cater for coeliacs

Yes it seems there's lots of cafes in town know, and all capitalising on the Yeats link whilst being totally unremarkable in other respects. The Sweet Beat on Bridge St offers gf options. I'd say we'll see a few more empty units in years to come... Particularly as on Sundays the trade in Sligo town doesn't offer much return on costs.

There is very little variety though. Pizza, pasta, burgers, Chinese or Indian dominate what is available in the town. Even the cafes are roughly the same. Sweet Beat I have to say is very good, and that is coming from a carnivore

There is very little variety though. Pizza, pasta, burgers, Chinese or Indian dominate what is available in the town. Even the cafes are roughly the same. Sweet Beat I have to say is very good, and that is coming from a carnivore

Never heard of that one, is it a vegetarian restaurant?

Vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Vegan but they do offer organic dairy milk for their 3FE coffee. I'm a big fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone been to, or know about the new restaurant on O'Connell St called Knox. A Google search only gives location and number, and that its name is possibly in reference, to O'Connell St former name, Knox Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Front page of weekender or champion last week i think.
    http://sligoweekender.ie/2015/06/04/opportunity-knox-for-local-duo/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Anyone been to, or know about the new restaurant on O'Connell St called Knox. A Google search only gives location and number, and that its name is possibly in reference, to O'Connell St former name, Knox Street.

Tried to go in for lunch earlier today & the place was packed so had to go elsewhere. Looked more like a cafe than a restaurant from what I could see, smaller than I thought it would be.

Facebook page here, spotted a lunch menu in the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

It'd be great if one opened in Sligo.

There is already a pub in town that provides top quality alcoholic beverages at knockdown prices. We don't need another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Henlars67 wrote: »
    There is already a pub in town that provides top quality alcoholic beverages at knockdown prices. We don't need another one

Harry's bar isn't exactly everybodies cup of tea.

Err, I mean that place on the hill that's beside the place that used to be a hotel, over from the other place, wink wink

I'd love a witherspoons in Sligo. Good value food and drink, means we'd be able to have food out once in a while.

Harry's bar isn't exactly everybodies cup of tea.

Err, I mean that place on the hill that's beside the place that used to be a hotel, over from the other place, wink wink

I'd love a witherspoons in Sligo. Good value food and drink, means we'd be able to have food out once in a while.

Best of all,Wetherspoons also have John Smiths Bitter on tap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

A Wetherspoons would be fantastic and keep prices in check. Its good to have a pub that doesnt play music and is a great place if you want a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SOOISTSSB

A Wetherspoons would be fantastic and keep prices in check. Its good to have a pub that doesnt play music and is a great place if you want a conversation.

Keeping prices in check?
    I thought most bars in Sligo had fair prices. How much profit do they make per pint after the cost of buying it in and tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

SOOISTSSB wrote: »
    Keeping prices in check?
    I thought most bars in Sligo had fair prices. How much profit do they make per pint after the cost of buying it in and tax?

Its not so much the pubs prices that are the problem, its the prices the breweries are charging the pubs. The pubs have no voice in Ireland are being held to ransom and many forced to close. With the likes of Wetherspoons telling them to "fcuk off" it can only be a good thing.

I could rant all day about this topic, but there is an entire thread dedicated to it so I will save it for there.

I would love a Wetherspoons because it offers a fair product for a fair price. Im from the UK and have been to many of their pubs over the years and Ive always found them to be consistent value for money.

Advertisement