Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

prodsc wrote: »
    ARGENTO!
    Had a look in the other day and saw red-brick walls.. wouldn't be Argento's style I would have thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Spotted a sign up on the window of the premises next to Higgins' pharmacy. Some 'fix 'i' place, assume it's a phone fixing place? Wards seems to be moving to the old McGuires shop next door. Not sure if anyone mentioned Mountain Warehouse opened up in the old Stauntons Intersport shop. If it's the same shop as the one in Blanchardstown, it'll be a great addition to the place, good quality, cheap walking/hiking kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

Basq wrote: »
    Had a look in the other day and saw red-brick walls.. wouldn't be Argento's style I would have thought..

Sign outside and branding inside on the red brick walls inside. They were to expand the shop on Market st but must have run into problems as next door has been boarded up after initial work. Didn't opposition open up in O'Connell st..might have an influence too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Work going on inside the old Cadeaux building beside Video City. No signs yet of what it might be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Work going on inside the old Cadeaux building beside Video City. No signs yet of what it might be though.

good little newsagents shop that was for many years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Camile Thai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Camile Thai?

That space is so small. I would be shocked.

Speedwell wrote: »
    That space is so small. I would be shocked.

The old Adelaide maybe? It was supposed to open at the end of August. No work started in the lower unit. And I agree it's very small.

I wonder if the kitchen will be in the old nightclub and the seat area in the smaller unit? Maybe that's the work that was going on at the entrance to the nightclub, fire exit and fireproofing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

FoxyVixen wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

ShazGV wrote: »

Saw it today, Una Donna or something, Italian and does kids as well.

Insomnia looking for staff in Sligo...where is that gonna be??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

Where the men's shop used to be on the street corner of Quay St shopping centre on Wine St.

ShazGV wrote: »

nooooo perleeze not another shoe shop! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

nooooo perleeze not another shoe shop!

At least its not another cafe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

At least its not another cafe

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Vlove wrote: »
    Seems like work is going on between Claire's Accessories & Vodafone in Johnson's court!

Is that where Quiz is? (Womens clothing shop - they have another in Menarys in Carrick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

We are really outrun by clothes shops, restaurants, cafes, jewellery stores, pharamacies and pubs in sligo. There should really be more varieties here as well as Dublin. They have everything up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

We are really outrun by clothes shops, restaurants, cafes, jewellery stores, pharamacies and pubs in sligo. There should really be more varieties here as well as Dublin. They have everything up there!
    They also have a population of 2 million.
    So what else do you propose thats missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

red sean wrote: »
    They also have a population of 2 million.
    So what else do you propose thats missing?

Well we don't have much stores such as game shops, M&S, Starbucks, comic shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

We have had games and comic shops, both closed, and already have 2 Costas.

Take your point on a M&S though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

We somewhat do have a Starbucks.. well, the coffee.. in the IT.

I have no solutions on this one its tricky. I do like shopping in sligo but part of me think it is uninspiring with so many businesses doing the same thing, and then I get excited when I hear something new is opening up... only to be shot down to earth and think to myself "we already have one of them similar shops/businesses in the town already or already loads of them already in the town)

I do feel Sligo town (when its announced that a new shop is opening up) should have more of a variety but do you know what if you were to put me on the spot nd say "come on then andy - what?" - my mind would go blank and I wouldnt be able to give you an answer or answers... but there definately something(s) Sligo are missing in the way of retail shops etc , as I say I cannot put my finger on it.

I do know the odd few times when I have gone out of Sligo to shop in other counties towns I have though or said "Now why cant Sligo have one of these?" or think "Why cant Sligo do this" - but i never write it down or make a note of it and then it goes out of my head.

- But then again I am not a retail expert, I am looking at it from a customer/consumer view - plus the powers that be are hardly going to turn down someone and say "no thanks, we already have one of those (3 of those) already in the town so we are rejecting your application, no obviously they are gonna bite their hand off and just be grateful of any extra businesses that want to set up shop in town.

It does make you wonder sometimes though that for such a small town as sligo and the small footfall it gets at times (sometimes i have been in the town centre and it like a Ghost town with staff in shops bored waiting for customers to come in! - and i'm not talking at off peak times I am talking about in the daytime when by rights they should be really busy with customers - of course the big name Penney's and dunnes and tesco and the like are busy, Im not talking about them) but the shops or eating establishments where there are duplicates/triplicates or more I think how on earth do they make enough money between them to actually stay open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Shops will only open and stay open if they have a sustained demand for the product they are selling. That is why we have what we have, and even those shops struggle to stay open with so much competition from other provincial towns and the internet.

There has been work going on at the old Ulster Bank on Pearse Road. Anyone know what is opening there?

There has been work going on at the old Ulster Bank on Pearse Road. Anyone know what is opening there?

Café ??? - Shoe Shop??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Café ??? - Shoe Shop???

Thats my line 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Café ??? - Shoe Shop??? :D

Have they stopped opening discount stores??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Caf ??? - Shoe Shop??? :D
    Hairdressers? sure we haven't enough of those!*

*sarcasm

• Advertisement

I would love a decent music store in Sligo but it won't happen as is evidenced by HMVs demise. Liber is great though and a very friendly chap that runs it, anything I asked he ordered it if not in stock!

Advertisement