Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

zorro2566 wrote:
    I would love a decent music store in Sligo but it won't happen as is evidenced by HMVs demise. Liber is great though and a very friendly chap that runs it, anything I asked he ordered it if not in stock!

Yeah Brian's a nice fella. Knows his music too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Camile Thai?

Work looks to have started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I would love a decent music store in Sligo but it won't happen as is evidenced by HMVs demise. Liber is great though and a very friendly chap that runs it, anything I asked he ordered it if not in stock!

would you not class the record Room in Castle street as a music store though, at least its a dedicated music store or have you had some bad experience with them. i like liber .. but still class it as a book shop , that deals with music as well , but not a dedicated music store I wouldnt call it.

blimey i thought work started months ago!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Another hairdressers has opened on Harmony Hill, Hair Stories Studio, that's 3 now including KAOS and Michaela's.

• Advertisement

would you not class the record Room in Castle street as a music store though, at least its a dedicated music store or have you had some bad experience with them. i like liber .. but still class it as a book shop , that deals with music as well , but not a dedicated music store I wouldnt call it.

Never liked that place, too much emphasis on Irish music (which I don't like) and and always seems to have rte1 radio playing. The stock doesn't seem to change much either. No, Liber is great, suits my musical tastes down to the ground and Brian can't do enough for you!

Work looks to have started stopped.

Work looks to have started stopped.

More stop and starts than a car in a traffic jam!....

More stop and starts than a car in a traffic jam!....

I'm starting to think Camile Thai is not going to happen in Sligo

What's the deal with the new bus stops on the first sea road? Are they replacing the current bus stop locations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

I'm starting to think Camile Thai is not going to happen in Sligo

website no longer has a location for the 'opening soon' branch:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Caution another café
    I see Insomnia is opening outside Quayside

Caution another café
    I see Insomnia is opening outside Quayside

AAAARGH! :eek:

whats their prices like? - if they are cheap, i'm in ...

if they are pretentious and dear/expensive they wont see me frequenting their premises any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Noooooooooo. Just what town needs.........

How are they all in business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

There's a pop up shop where Mary's of Sligo use to be. It's selling Halloween stuff and boy, the kids love it! Just seen it today and it's called "Halloween Haunt".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Saw on Facebook Camile Thai (or camel toe as the young ones are seemingly calling it) "hope to be open before the end of the year" now. Feck sake!!!!

Just heard a big well known supermarket is going to be opening up at the Retail Park in carraroe soon free parking, no congestion, no searching for car parking spaces, just pull up buy your weeks groceries and lob it in the back of the car - its gonna be so easy! ....... sorry only joking :D ,

- hell will freeze over before that happens no doubt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

Just heard a big well known supermarket is going to be opening up at the Retail Park in carraroe soon free parking, no congestion, no searching for car parking spaces, just pull up buy your weeks groceries and lob it in the back of the car - its gonna be so easy! ....... sorry only joking :D ,

- hell will freeze over before that happens no doubt :D

hell will freeze over before that happens

How right you are!!!!!!:mad:

This town is dying and they have no one to blame but themselves.
    Soon they will be asking the people not to go to Enniskillen and shop
    Local and line their own pockets again.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I cannot understand why you would have a perfectly good modern facility with relatively easy to get to, plenty of parking spaces (that most of the time are not being used and are just empty) with no congestion and right near to the inner relief road why they wont lift this stupid restriction that they have about who can set up at carraroe (such as supermarket or certain goods) - i believe if I am correct the issue/restriction is up for renewal this November or December on this stupid environmental plan - if i was them I would take a good hard look at this and maybe take a gamble, I know they are frightened that by letting anyone sell anything up in the retail park could effectively have an effect on the Town centre shops (I get it and sure we have most probably seen other towns where there have been retail parks open up and town centres falling into dis-repute and getting less business because of retail parks) yes I get it, do we know for certain thats what would happen in Sligo? - course we dont , can we risk that? - I dunno, should it be tried out - hell yes! - should the town be held back and risk shoppers going out of the area because other towns dont have any silly environmental plans or restrictions on who can set up business in their retail parks because Sligo is not keeping up with the times/modernisation and what the consumer wants?

I think by putting a supermarket up there it will give more business to the existing tenants up there (I bet they would be more than welcome of that)

Without wishing to sound chauvinistic , (and this is what tends to happen a lot of the time) mum could be in the supermarket getting the weeks shopping in , Dad could go looking in PC World & Currys or Homebase whilst the children who normally are bored when they go food shopping could look in Smyths all up the same place, and when shopping is finished all off to Costa or McDonalds or KFC afterwards for a treat

- Thats how it should be, now only if the powers could be take their blinkered vision off and see how other towns are doing it with good retail parks and still people shopping in the town centre and other parts of Ireland instead of thinking the worst and that it will make sligo town a ghost town, and just move along with the times we might just be able to keep more business actually in Sligo and not see people from Sligo spending their money out of the area in other towns.

Noticed recently that there is a restaurant above the railway pub, sidings I think it is called. Anyone been? Is it open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

Noticed recently that there is a restaurant above the railway pub, sidings I think it is called. Anyone been? Is it open?

Is that where the Silver Apple was?

I remember talk a while back about Lidl trying to get permission for a food distribution centre in Sligo. Saw this earlier today: http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=42729

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

They're probably looking to build another store. No chance in hell of a distribution centre.

Digiby wrote: »
    Is that where the Silver Apple was?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

Digiby wrote: »
    I remember talk a while back about Lidl trying to get permission for a food distribution centre in Sligo. Saw this earlier today: http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=42729
    Unless im missing another application... Lidl havent even answered the FI from Sligo County Council on their application yet (for a standard shop not distribution centre)... so it is impossible for Tesco to appeal a grant that doesnt exist. Even if it was granted, Tesco didnt write a submission in the initial 5 weeks which makes a valid appeal very difficult.
    Basically Sligo Today jumped the gun as ABP made a mistake uploading the weekly lists... there was no address for a reason, every other application has one! That 'sligo' ABP reference number now corresponds to a Wicklow project. Top notch journalists at Sligo Today obviously. Nothing like a bit of click bait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

https://www.facebook.com/events/1791126701142519/ MERCEDES-BENZ car store opening tomorrow where Collooney Retail park is located!

How does conoly do it, he must have a bottomless pit or some serious backers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

zorro2566 wrote: »

Galway, Athlone and Letterkenny being the nearest current dealers, that's a huge slice of the country going unatttended....

http://mercedesdealersearch2015.webzone.ie/contentv3/

zorro2566 wrote:

More like who can afford to buy a Merc these days, they must have a bottomless pit of money!

I will most probably drive up there in my clapped out motor car and sit in the car park of it and wish I could afford a Mercedes :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Looks good for sligo in a way though, to have a mercedes dealership.
    Not that it means a thing, but, you know......:o

Its certainly better than closures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

There will ALWAYS be people who can afford to buy a Mercedes :)

(I am not one of them! Though I wouldn't drive one anyways even if I COULD afford one!:))

Advertisement