Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

McHugh's opening again on paddy's day supposedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Lidl have received planning permission for a second store, off the Finisklin road, behind Lyons terrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I assume that the entrance to it won't be from Union Place? if it is Traffic will be mental trying to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

shanec1928 wrote: »
    I assume that the entrance to it won't be from Union Place? if it is Traffic will be mental trying to get out.

There'll be two access point, one at the Union Place side down the side of the Old Mill which will be for traffic coming in only. The other entrance will be down the side of the Office Supplies building, that will be two-way.

Also a café to go in where the car park is now which, despite all the giving out about all the cafés in Sligo is actually well situated.

Application can be viewed online, along with drawings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Geuze wrote: »
    Lidl have received planning permission for a second store, off the Finisklin road, behind Lyons terrace.

all the rumours were true then ... imagine that

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    There'll be two access point, one at the Union Place side down the side of the Old Mill which will be for traffic coming in only. The other entrance will be down the side of the Office Supplies building, that will be two-way.

Also a café to go in where the car park is now which, despite all the giving out about all the cafés in Sligo is actually well situated.

Application can be viewed online, along with drawings

now normally at this point i would go "oh shíte not another cafe in Sligo" ... but I think I might have to sample this one when it opens up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

now normally at this point i would go "oh shíte not another cafe in Sligo" ... but I think I might have to sample this one when it opens up

Are there any cafes out further that direction? Could do well if it attracts finisklin workers on lunch

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Are there any cafes out further that direction? Could do well if it attracts finisklin workers on lunch

that little cafe opposite the bathroom place (where martin reilly motors used to be years ago ) seemed like a good cafe , always looked busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

that little cafe opposite the bathroom place (where martin reilly motors used to be years ago ) seemed like a good cafe , always looked busy

Closed for years - Margarets is the only one over that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Has full planning been granted or can it be appealed? There seems to be a habit of people round these parts appealing things like this.

• Advertisement

I first heard and posted about Lidl opening in finiskillin last summer. The person that told me was involved in the design of a social space separate from Aldi but in the same area.

Closed for years - Margarets is the only one over that side.

There's also the café in Connacht Gold/Aurivo/Homeland/Whatever-It's-Called-Today that's run by Drumcliffe Tea-house, although its opening hours are limited. Personally the best thing about the development is the Lidl will have a bakery which means it's easier to send someone out for fresh scones or pastries, nothing like that in the area since Express Alley closed.

Had a look at the drawings on the planning files. The cafe seems to be fairly big as does the Lidl itself. A fair bit of the parking is single car perpendicular to the site boundary, so you will have to wait on slow parkers. Upwards of 100 spaces I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Has Hennigans bar re-opened again? I see it listed here: http://www.sligomusicians.com/
    I thought it closed a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

red sean wrote: »
    Has Hennigans bar re-opened again? I see it listed here: http://www.sligomusicians.com/
    I thought it closed a year ago.

Yes it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rdavey14

Geuze wrote: »

Is it lidl or tesco? I saw tescos name on the application

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

rdavey14 wrote: »
    Is it lidl or tesco? I saw tescos name on the application

It's Lidl, Tesco sent in an objection to the application

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rdavey14

Ah, I see. Cheers.

Not surprised they objected. If Lidl in finiskillin goes ahead, as it is looking likely, it will a huge kick in the b*lls to Tesco. I for one will be delighted, Tesco have done very little to improve their store in Sligo, improvements that are badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Has full planning been granted or can it be appealed? There seems to be a habit of people round these parts appealing things like this.
    Tesco were not happy and I'm sure there's more sligo has to be a great town for objecting against progress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 flex_manion

Here's a photo of what it will look like when finished - looks grand to me.

ABNgp8I.jpg
    direct link to image if not showing - http://i.imgur.com/ABNgp8I.jpg

Hopefully, this will force the construction of a pedestrian walkway (or two) across the motorway at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Gonna be some crack with traffic.

That drawing doesn't match up with the elevations from the plan, no café, and that doesn't look like an exit road down the side of the old mill.

ckZBBp1

http://imgur.com/ckZBBp1

sligojoek wrote: »
    Gonna be some crack with traffic.

There is no way this development would have been granted planning if bridge had not been widened. Oh wait, this is Sligo so it probably would have been granted with the bridge as it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EireGrif

Anyone know site is sold, opposite to SummerHill school and beside private hospital. Roundabout on Dublin Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hopefully, this will force the construction of a pedestrian walkway (or two) across the motorway at some stage.

Motorway? You mean the relief road with traffic lights and pedestrian crossings every 100m or so.

:D

Does anyone know what is planned for the big new building in Finiskillin? My money is on a cafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Does anyone know what is planned for the big new building in Finiskillin? My money is on a cafe.

It's an advanced technology building being built by the IDA with the aim of attracting local or FDI. Nice looking building. Hope it's full soon with a high value proposition.

promethius wrote: »
    It's an advanced technology building being built by the IDA with the aim of attracting local or FDI. Nice looking building. Hope it's full soon with a high value proposition.

Was the empty building (the one that was ever occupied) up from that recently sold?

• Advertisement

promethius wrote: »

Sorry, what is an advanced technology building? Is it supposed to attract one company or several?

Advertisement