Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Was the empty building (the one that was ever occupied) up from that recently sold?

afaik it's an IDA building also. Been sitting there unoccupied for a long time now.
    The new one is a fine looking building though. I hope it attracts some companies. Looks like an expensive build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

ryanch09 wrote: »
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2017/02/28/major-sligo-town-development-hopes-to-attract-post-brexit-business/

Finally some work to be done with the old ESB building on the corner of castle street

This was on the Irish Independent online

"The ground floor which was previously the ESB shop floor will house a large-floor retailer and the building's existing entrance at the corner of Castle Street and Thomas Street is being retained.

A cafe restaurant thought to be a well known chain will front onto Rockwood Parade which, as our designs show, (right) will benefit from a newly created garden and terrace.Damien says:"This river side cafe, terrace and garden will dramatically re-energise what has become a dilapidated area along the Garavogue river."
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/work-starts-on-town-project-35486632.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

This was on the Irish Independent online

"The ground floor which was previously the ESB shop floor will house a large-floor retailer and the building's existing entrance at the corner of Castle Street and Thomas Street is being retained.

A cafe restaurant thought to be a well known chain will front onto Rockwood Parade which, as our designs show, (right) will benefit from a newly created garden and terrace.Damien says:"This river side cafe, terrace and garden will dramatically re-energise what has become a dilapidated area along the Garavogue river."
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/work-starts-on-town-project-35486632.html

A cafe! ;) .. mind u a well known chain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dilapidated!!

Bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Dilapidated!!

Bit harsh.
    Was just thinking the same myself. Not dilapidated, just empty..that building is empty and one beside it on the Rockwood side but the rest of the buildings from there down are grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Sorry, what is an advanced technology building? Is it supposed to attract one company or several?

it's marketing speak i'd imagine, they'd want a medical device or pharma company to move in i'd think. they'd want to set up their clean rooms etc in a certain way so it's probably flexible on the inside. most companies wouldn't want to share for business reasons and to be able to have and show potential for expansion as required. would be great to see a solid company going in there it's a fine looking addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Dilapidated!!
    In fairness, I think we all know what he meant.
    Good to hear the building is being utilised again in such a prime location. But some will knock it before they even know the details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Well known chain cafe.. Starbucks? 
    Its a great building it will be good to see it used again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

mcgiggles wrote:
    Well known chain cafe.. Starbucks? Its a great building it will be good to see it used again!

Is there an Insomnia in Sligo yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

dee_mc wrote: »

Yep, on the entrance to quayside SC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

sligono1 wrote: »
    Tesco were not happy and I'm sure there's more sligo has to be a great town for objecting against progress

Nothing really to do with Sligo, Tesco`s company policy is to oppose all expansions by Lidl.

"Over the past 12 months Tesco has unsuccessfully opposed the opening of six new Lidl shops"
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/lidl-expansion-plan-passed-despite-tesco-opposition-441499.html

Anyone else not like the coffee from Insomnia? I find it has an after taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Probably my favourite café-chain coffee, to be honest. Still haven't gotten into the one in Sligo yet though.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Probably my favourite café-chain coffee, to be honest. Still haven't gotten into the one in Sligo yet though.
    Same here. Really nice coffee.

Each to his own I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm not a big fan - I drink my coffee black and I find the flavour a bit odd. But others who drink milky ones seem to like them well enough. Their staff in my local branch are great though so I go there from time to time.

I'm not a big fan - I drink my coffee black and I find the flavour a bit odd. But others who drink milky ones seem to like them well enough. Their staff in my local branch are great though so I go there from time to time.
    Yeah, I agree with you, really nice staff in Sligo branch.

I have struggled to find good decafe coffee in most places in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

I have struggled to find good decafe coffee in most places in town.

I don't know if Kate's Kitchen serves decaf in store but they certainly sell fresh roasted beans of it by Badger & Dodo, Third floor espresso and Cloudpicker.
    Kate's has a fantastic selection of fresh roasted coffee bags in town. I use it a lot for that.

Were any of local elected representatives out in the UAE last week promoting Sligo? If not maybe it wouldn't have been the worst idea in order to get this town moving. A UAE sugar daddy.

http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-shopping-mall-saudi-group-2-3299964-Mar2017/

• Advertisement

afaik it's an IDA building also. Been sitting there unoccupied for a long time now.
    The new one is a fine looking building though. I hope it attracts some companies. Looks like an expensive build.

I don't know why but I have it in my head that that building was built about 10/11 years ago as office space rather than industrial. If it was an IDA building would they sell it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

It seems theres an Australian stationery store in place for Sligo called Smiggle. Reminds me of Tiger or Dealz a lot to be honest with ya, I dont think we need another stationery store in Sligo tbh...... http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=44992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Noticed work being done on the Forecourt of the former Excol/McCormicks Petrol Station/Mace on Mail Coach Road this morning. Then later noticed that their former outlet in Manorhamilton has be reopened as Top Fuel. Could the two be linked?

They've been sold by the receiver. Was in the papers a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Noticed work being done on the Forecourt of the former Excol/McCormicks Petrol Station/Mace on Mail Coach Road this morning. Then later noticed that their former outlet in Manorhamilton has be reopened as Top Fuel. Could the two be linked?

Applegreen are taking them over so I hear.

I see they are gutting out Korona on Castle St.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

I see they are gutting out Korona on Castle St.

New coffee shop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Is there a new book shop open on Connolly Street? Red Door Books maybe, or some name similar to that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Is there a new book shop open on Connolly Street? Red Door Books maybe, or some name similar to that....

That's a seasonal schoolbook shop, run by the owners of the creche next door. Closed most of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I see Regatta are looking for a store manager for a store in the quayside I presume there opening up there

Advertisement