Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Driftwood Bar and Restaurant opened in Rosses Point last week.

Was that previously the Waterfront?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

sligojoek wrote:
    Was that previously the Waterfront?

I believe so yeah!

There's a coffee truck called Driftwood coffee cart owned by a couple in Strandhill Market, been around a few years now, wonder how the name of the restaurant went down with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

mcgiggles wrote: »
    There's a coffee truck called Driftwood coffee cart owned by a couple in Strandhill Market, been around a few years now, wonder how the name of the restaurant went down with them!

yeah i know the lady with the coffee truck nice girl. that's a funny one alright, it is a nice name for a restaurant. hope it does well and good to see the building in use again. were some local objections but glad it made it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I see they are gutting out a casa mia.

• Advertisement

I see they are gutting out a casa mia.

Aw crap I heard what was going in there and can't remember! (Could have been here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

Regatta opening in Quayside after all(and hiring!)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

New menswear shop opening soon, possibly on Wine Street. Saw it on FB

What ever happened the plan for a Lidl on the Finiskiln Rd? Was it turned down on appeal on is there a decision still to be made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What ever happened the plan for a Lidl on the Finiskiln Rd? Was it turned down on appeal on is there a decision still to be made?

Its been approved, but they need to do remedial work on the the Craig & McGowan / old KG building before anything else happens.

Not like them to hang around though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Its been approved, but they need to do remedial work on the the Craig & McGowan / old KG building before anything else happens.

Has it been approved since the objection to Bord Planala?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

I was told it’s opening in February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Has it been approved since the objection to Bord Planala?

Sligo Weekender today says the appeal ( of CoCo's decision ) to Bord Planala was thrown out. Construction to now go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

red sean wrote: »
    Sligo Weekender today says the appeal ( of CoCo's decision ) to Bord Planala was thrown out. Construction to now go ahead.
    Who objected?

Somebody from Cootehall, Boyle.

Great to hear. Could this be the start of the complete regeneration of the area as recreation/retail/commercial area moving away from the complexities of building in the town centre? I recall around 10-15 years ago there were plans for a commercial and retail development for along the docks devised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Somebody from Cootehall, Boyle.

Ha! - someone from out of the area objects to something being built in sligo ... that figures! :rolleyes:

Great to hear. Could this be the start of the complete regeneration of the area as recreation/retail/commercial area moving away from the complexities of building in the town centre? I recall around 10-15 years ago there were plans for a commercial and retail development for along the docks devised.

would make a lovely handy spot for a good retail park down there , just swing off the new road and there you are (look at that I still call it the new road after all these years hehe :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Retail park? There's a million different things that could go down there instead of a retail park. It is prime land, close to the town centre and along the shore. Opportunities to develop land like this which is so key to Sligo don't come around often. It should be a centrepiece for the town and benefit people who live in it, outside of another method to extract money from people to British mega-corporations.

Any town can build a retail park, and how many empty ones does Sligo have already? You've huge historic buildings there with massive potential. Bring the White Hag in from Ballymote, offer it to the Lough Gill Brewery or even start a third local brewery, or a Sligo based distillery. Open a bowling alley and arcade, climbing wall, or even offer a recreational space to clubs around the town that have none, like Sligo AC.

What will make Sligo grow isn't money leaving it, but more money coming into it or even keeping money that is earned by Sligo people in Sligo for as long as possible.

Retail park? There's a million different things that could go down there instead of a retail park. It is prime land, close to the town centre and along the shore. Opportunities to develop land like this which is so key to Sligo don't come around often. It should be a centrepiece for the town and benefit people who live in it, outside of another method to extract money from people to British mega-corporations.

if done properly (and thought out properly) its such a big expanse that area down there I cannot see why it cannot be a retail park as well as other features you mention

- its also a sure thing that town centre itself is not ideal these days (small streets/narrow roads/congestion/ parking issues/ delivery truck access issues) also why does it have to be (all) British mega corporations? why couldnt some of the existing retail shops already in town centre move down into there???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yeah, what Sligo needs right now is another retail park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/248255.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Who objected?

The only objections to the application were from the appellant and Tesco
    Ireland, both of whom have retail interests in the town.

The appellant is named in the ABP report.

would make a lovely handy spot for a good retail park down there , just swing off the new road and there you are (look at that I still call it the new road after all these years hehe )

You're not alone.. I still call it the new road too!! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I call the bridge the new bridge..

Is there someone who calls it something else? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

...which will never be more than half occupied.

Retail parks arrived ten years too late in Sligo - just around the time people began to discover the convenience, and cost saving, of online shopping. They're soon to go the way of the dinosaur.

...which will never be more than half occupied.

Retail parks arrived ten years too late in Sligo - just around the time people began to discover the convenience, and cost saving, of online shopping. They're soon to go the way of the dinosaur.

agree with you ... partly :)

got to be in the right location with the right rent and rates innit

• Advertisement

always have thought and still think the cleaveragh one is in a stupid place ....

Advertisement