Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

agree with you ... partly :)

got to be in the right location with the right rent and rates innit

Unless there is a supermarket with a grocery to anchor it - then it will fail. There's nothing in the likes of Homebase/Currys/Smyths ...etc. that can't be bought cheaper online. If you're not absolutely stuck for an ink cartridge, or a light fixture, there is absolutely no sense in spending your money up there at all.

The day of the big street chains and retail parks are all but done. They can't even keep the big shopping malls in consumer meccas like America going anymore.

You wanna build something that will see use? Build a huge parcel motel. That'll do rapid business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Unless there is a supermarket with a grocery to anchor it - then it will fail. There's nothing in the likes of Homebase/Currys/Smyths ...etc. that can't be bought cheaper online. If you're not absolutely stuck for an ink cartridge, or a light fixture, there is absolutely no sense in spending your money up there at all.

The day of the big street chains and retail parks are all but done. They can't even keep the big shopping malls in consumer meccas like America going anymore.

You wanna build something that will see use? Build a huge parcel motel. That'll do rapid business.

as good as Online buying is, you still cannot beat the good old fashioned bricks and mortar shop especially for looking/touching/playing with the item before you buy it ......and easily return it for refund if it goes kaput in the warranty - I know you can do this with online purchases but it does end up a hassle most of the time

I think online shopping is killing normal shops business to an extent but i still believe the normal shops have not had their day for a long time off....

Tell you who I am surprised is still functioning these days are Post Offices.. with all the emails people send instead of letters these days and most of the online items ordered being delivered by couriers and online banking and stuff .. yeah, very surprised post offices are still hanging on in there ...

Tell you who I am surprised is still functioning these days are Post Offices.. with all the emails people send instead of letters these days and most of the online items ordered being delivered by couriers and online banking and stuff .. yeah, very surprised post offices are still hanging on in there ...

Auld ones collecting their pensions along with the dole and children's allowance are keeping them above water. If it hadn't been for that Icelandic volcano a few years back they wouldn't have any of that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Auld ones collecting their pensions along with the dole and children's allowance are keeping them above water. If it hadn't been for that Icelandic volcano a few years back they wouldn't have any of that either.
    It should be posted online tbh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I see work taking place at the old Opel garage in carraroe,something must be moving in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

sligono1 wrote: »
    I see work taking place at the old Opel garage in carraroe,something must be moving in there.
    Burger King as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Basq wrote: »
    Burger King as far as I know.

On the old Dublin road? Seems like a very odd place to have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

On the old Dublin road? Seems like a very odd place to have one.
    Yep, my opinion too... but that's the rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A bit off the beaten track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Sure it's literally just down the road from McDonald's etc so if they do go in there don't see how it's that odd.

• Advertisement

mewe wrote: »
    Sure it's literally just down the road from McDonald's etc so if they do go in there don't see how it's that odd.
    Well if it was my money going into purchasing a franchise for a substantial sum, I would want it as close as possible to a large urban area or be very visable or accessible from a very busy road. That's why I find it odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Noticed lights on there my self the other day. If it was going to be a Burger King, would be more than likely a drive-through.

Can't see it being of the beaten track at all. Would catch the same amount of traffic as Maccy D's, and the KFC, maybe even more as on the road, plus way nicer than both of them put together. Thought Supamacs was off the beaten track when that opened, but look how well that does.

That's just opinion. The couple of times a year that I eat in KFC or McD's is when I am in the retail park. They are on the other side of town from me. Much better quality food available in town.

Would have thought the old banana warehouse site across from Mullens on the Donegal road would have been a great location for something like Burger King, a lot more slow moving traffic than the old Dublin road, closer to walk to as well, more teenage customers that aren't driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Heard rumours myself that it's another Applegreen opening on the Opel garage site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

ShazGV wrote: »
    Heard rumours myself that it's another Applegreen opening on the Opel garage site.

Very possible. Applegreen are expanding their network at a serious rate nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

red sean wrote: »
    Very possible. Applegreen are expanding their network at a serious rate nationally.

Heard that rumour some time ago...plenty of room for fast food (and parking) too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

red sean wrote: »

Would make sense, Burgerking in a lot of their sites, could well be a drive-through there's plenty of space on that site.

That's just opinion. The couple of times a year that I eat in KFC or McD's is when I am in the retail park. They are on the other side of town from me. Much better quality food available in town.

Would have thought the old banana warehouse site across from Mullens on the Donegal road would have been a great location for something like Burger King, a lot more slow moving traffic than the old Dublin road, closer to walk to as well, more teenage customers that aren't driving.

Would probably slow the traffic even more, having another place to turn off/on to, on what already is a slow moving road, and only main route into town from the North.

Carraroe is also not much further out of town compared to Mullens, and still has the population from Perase Road, Crozen, Caltragh, plus traffic coming from the south into town to make it an option for somewhere.

It will always catch passing traffic as well. I thought Subway as part of Applegreen on the MCR was a bad location, but it has as much customers, as any other petrol station deli in town.

all seem to be revolving around people having cars these days. - If i am shopping on o'Connell street and fancy popping in for a Mcd's , or burger King or Subway then i'm stuffed! - why cannot Sligo be like some other towns where they have these well known establishments on the main street alongside drive thru restaurants satisfying both people on foot and driving past them.

Dont get me wrong I like the 4 lights too, and frequent that every now and again if i want burger and chips or something like that if I am shopping in the town centre - but its just a shame for locals and visitors that there is not a popular fast food store such as McD's or BK or Subway on the streets any more and they are all opening up outside the main town centre and you (really) need a car/transport to get to them - could you be arsed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

all seem to be revolving around people having cars these days. - If i am shopping on o'Connell street and fancy popping in for a Mcd's , or burger King or Subway then i'm stuffed! - why cannot Sligo be like some other towns where they have these well known establishments on the main street alongside drive thru restaurants satisfying both people on foot and driving past them.

Dont get me wrong I like the 4 lights too, and frequent that every now and again if i want burger and chips or something like that if I am shopping in the town centre - but its just a shame for locals and visitors that there is not a popular fast food store such as McD's or BK or Subway on the streets any more and they are all opening up outside the main town centre and you (really) need a car/transport to get to them - could you be arsed! :D

Others might argue that it's nice to see a town whose centre has a good few independently owned cafes and restaurants, rather than being lined with the same old multinational franchise operations seen in towns all over the world.
    I'm always surprised that there's no Supermacs in Sligo town centre though - have they been kept out, or have they never tried to establish one in the town does anyone know?

• Advertisement

I wouldnt be one to regularly eat in say McD's (for example) but i do like every now and again, and I am pretty sure if there were one back in O'connell street/town as their used to be years ago (think bank is there now where it was or that jewellery place) then i reckon I might use it more than I do now that its up the retail park (and most probably put on weight - which wouldnt be a good thing!) - but no, these days when I do go into the likes of that place I seem to order the wraps now - thing i like about those places is familiarity/ you know where you are , its clean (most of the time) , you know what you are going to pay and most of the time the price is reasonable (especially meal deals and happy kids meal) and plenty of place to sit and plenty of tables, plenty of choice on the menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

People forgetting that both McDonalds and Burger king have been in O'Connell St before and I doubt if they left because they had too much business!

Exactly, and they both left during the tiger years - which says a lot.

Neither did a rapid trade when in town because people simply didn't care for the food.

Exactly, and they both left during the tiger years - which says a lot.

Neither did a rapid trade when in town because people simply didn't care for the food.

Only went in either for the McP1ss tbh, was the most accessible toilets in town, and BK was always empty to my surprise, although would eat there anyday ahead of MDs. The Angus Burger is something to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Mint Sauce wrote:
    Only went in either for the McP1ss tbh, was the most accessible toilets in town, and BK was always empty to my surprise, although would eat there anyday ahead of MDs. The Angus Burger is something to behold.

I think it felt so empty all the time cos of the size of it, it only needed to be half the size! The only times the tables at the door were full were after a night out when everyone and their mother sat in there either out of the rain and/or waiting for friends/ taxis/ eating food from elsewhere haha

Certainly I'd rate BK over McDonald's. I'm honestly mystified as to the global popularity of the latter. The food is like cardboard and the portions are laughable.

I never ever had seen the O'connell street mc'Donalds ever empty and that was the gods honest truth. in fact some times found it hard to find a free table ... however walk across the road to Burger King and i did find that empty quite a few times or more schoolkids hanging around and smoking in there to be honest (at that time Mc'D was a no smoking family friendly restaurant and BK had some non-smoking tables/areas and the rest smoking was allowed. This was before smoking ban so you can see how far back both Mc'Ds and BK were situated in o'connell street .

Anyway suffice to say we are living in 2017 and not 1990/2000's something and there is more on the menu, more population than the 90's/200's , more tourists/visitors so the argument of it always being empty could be null and void these days - totally different era now from back then.

love BK Chicken Royale , bit pricey though....

Certainly I'd rate BK over McDonald's. I'm honestly mystified as to the global popularity of the latter. The food is like cardboard and the portions are laughable.

the moons your oyster - the more you pay the bigger portion you get. Try the wrap of the day, they are lovely, and pretty filling

No thanks.

• Advertisement

Anyway I doubt we will ever see either of them in the town centre again. Commercial rates and daytime parking charges make it very difficult very difficult to survive. IF someone was willing to take a chance with franchise of that nature and expense, the ground floor (and maybe the 1st floor) of the Source building would be ideal (with 2 maybe 3 hairdressers on the top floor).

Advertisement