Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

ah right see, I hadnt a clue - well thats a whack of a price for rent isnt it! :eek:

Nearly 4k a week. Before insurance, ESB, wages, rates, water and the list goes on. You'd want to be guaranteed some serious turnover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sligojoek wrote: »
    Nearly 4k a week. Before insurance, ESB, wages, rates, water and the list goes on. You'd want to be guaranteed some serious turnover.

ye would! - take a big brand name (known and liked all around the world) to make that kind of turnover ! ... <ahem - McDonalds> ;) and everyone's gotta eat

I cant find a proper figure of what they make in a week (well only in Dollars - even then its hard to gauge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

ye would! - take a big brand name (known and liked all around the world) to make that kind of turnover ! ... <ahem - McDonalds> ;) and everyone's gotta eat

I cant find a proper figure of what they make in a week (well only in Dollars - even then its hard to gauge)

Not a chance they'd make enough on a restaurant in Sligo town to cover 4k rent weekly.

There's a reason that most McDonalds restaurants in regional towns are drive thrus.

In store restaurants as they call them are only viable in cities with huge footfalls.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Not a chance they'd make enough on a restaurant in Sligo town to cover 4k rent weekly.

There's a reason that most McDonalds restaurants in regional towns are drive thrus.

In store restaurants as they call them are only viable in cities with huge footfalls.

true i wasn't thinking of that , mind u my (naivety part of the brain) is telling me that maybe if there was a McDonalds restuarunt was in the Town centre it would bring more footfall into the town but maybe I am away with the fairies ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

That 200k pa asking rent may not be genuine.

If so, then the landlord is utterly delusional.

• Advertisement

would Ray and Eileen Monaghan still be the owners of that source building?

irish/rich-list-2015/profiles/eileen-monahan

I'd even go as far as to say that its such a big building that it could most possibly be split up into units and house a 2 floor McD's restaurant at the front and then incorporate something like a ball pond/kiddies play area/maybe creche, and amusements (like fruit machines/snooker tables etc) on another unit/floor and possibly even a Gym in another unit/floor - just an idea like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

Someone is having serious McDonalds withdrawal 😂
    Next time you in letterkenny/derry/dublin try hillbillies... Now there's a fast food chain worth having!

overshoot wrote: »
    Someone is having serious McDonalds withdrawal &#55357;&#56834;
    Next time you in letterkenny/derry/dublin try hillbillies... Now there's a fast food chain worth having!

can i not just have a discussion about what I think should open up in the old Source building in town without someone thinking i'm addicted to Big Mac's ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

can i not just have a discussion about what I think should open up in the old Source building in town without someone thinking i'm addicted to Big Mac's ? :D

How about an Avoca Handweavers and cafe/deli instead - fast food with a side of notions :)

• Advertisement

Hi,

I was walking into quayside today and there were workman in one of the units opposite easons.

Hi,

I was walking into quayside today and there were workman in one of the units opposite easons.

wouldnt be Starbucks could it thats supposed to be coming to Sligo ... but surely they wouldnt open up that near to Insomnia .. surely?

I heard it was McDonalds

I heard it was McDonalds

no, I think you will find they are opening up a place in the old Source building ;)

All joking aside.

There's a new coffee shop / restaurant open in Grange. It's called The Jam Pot. Down past Barry's where the pharmacy and the Credit Union used to be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So is McDonalds opening in the town centre again? Or is this all just rumour and speculation?

Could a town of 20k support 2 McDs?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So is McDonalds opening in the town centre again? Or is this all just rumour and speculation?

do we not factor visitors/tourists coming into town that want to eat in McD's ? ... or is the 20k including residents and tourists visitors from other counties ? :D

JupiterKid wrote: »

Lest us not forget that for a period there was a time where there were 2 at one time, one in O'Connell Street and the drive in one up at the carraroe retail park - it operated like that for quite a while and both were equally busy it seemed (well when i used to frequent them anyways)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

All joking aside.

There's a new coffee shop / restaurant open in Grange. It's called The Jam Pot. Down past Barry's where the pharmacy and the Credit Union used to be.

I remember there used to a be a pool hall/video arcade where Chain Driven Cylcles is now that was called that back in the early 80's. Good times.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Is this what Trump means by fake news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I remember there used to a be a pool hall/video arcade where Chain Driven Cylcles is now that was called that back in the early 80's. Good times.:cool:

It was a pub before that and they never took down the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

wouldnt be Starbucks could it thats supposed to be coming to Sligo ... but surely they wouldnt open up that near to Insomnia .. surely?

That's pretty much exactly what they do, it's part of theor strategy to drive out the competition, they've even been known to open on either side of a competitor, or on each corner of a crossroads. Once the original café is gone then they keep whatever is profitable.

ectoraige wrote: »
    That's pretty much exactly what they do, it's part of theor strategy to drive out the competition, they've even been known to open on either side of a competitor, or on each corner of a crossroads. Once the original café is gone then they keep whatever is profitable.

Oh no, i hope they dont drive insomnia out i really like them. Isnt Starbucks one of those organizations that (alledgedly) pay very little tax but still operate within the law?

Is this what Trump means by fake news?

It is i'm afraid, i will try not to peddle the news any more (if thats what i am being accused of) until they actually move in and open up :)

Isnt Starbucks one of those organizations that (alledgedly) pay very little tax but still operate within the law?

Starbucks™, Passion for Coffee Accountancy™.

you'd be raging though wouldn't you if you was happy pootling along with your quaint little small little business cafe and a big conglomerate like SB opened up directly across from you or in spit distance. - is there not some kind of , I dunno, any type of rule that states if there is already a similar business within so many hundred yards that you cannot open up a similar business? - or do they not go through any planning process where a nearby cafe can object to the likes of them setting up? - I would have thought there were?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

you'd be raging though wouldn't you if you was happy pootling along with your quaint little small little business cafe and a big conglomerate like SB opened up directly across from you or in spit distance. - is there not some kind of , I dunno, any type of rule that states if there is already a similar business within so many hundred yards that you cannot open up a similar business? - or do they not go through any planning process where a nearby cafe can object to the likes of them setting up? - I would have thought there were?

Why would there be a rule like that? It would really hurt competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hasn't stopped hair dressers doing it.

:D

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Hasn't stopped hair dressers doing it.

:D

where/who is the big chain hairdressers?

• Advertisement

There's a new tattoo parlour on Union Street where Marian Harkin's constituency office used to be. I'm not sure what it's called though, I actually had to stop a second time to read the sign but it's barely legible. It's something like Mister B Tattoos, or maybe Mister H's Tattoos. Whatever it is, I hope their tattoos are better than their shop-signs, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their design talents.

Advertisement