Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to Half Marathon in 6 months

• 07-07-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Been cyber stalking a couple of the discussions here the last few months and I'll like to start by thanking ye for all the advice for us newbies!:)

I started outdoor running for the first time at the end of March. Last week I signed up for the 5 mile (end of next week:eek:) and half marathon (Sept) runs in the Phoenix Park as part of the adidas series. I have never ran a race like this before. If any of ye have any advice, suggestions etc it would be much appreciated. My goal is to finish.

Before March I would go to the gym maybe on average once or twice a week running about 2 miles on the treadmill. I found outdoor running much more challenging at the beginning but I prefer it now.

I run three times a week, taking a rest day between each run.

I started from scratch by following the Couch to 5k program. This strectched into the One Hour Runner program and am now on my last week. First one hour run tonight!:eek: I will be starting Hal Higdons half marathon training program after the 5 mile race. The furthest I have run without stopping so far is just over 5 miles.

There is a nice park near where I live that I usually go for my runs in. However the last week or so I have gone road running instead to get a couple of hills in and to get used to running on the footpaths (I usually run on the grass in the park)

I am a 29 year old guy, 5 foot 9. I was about 13 and a half stone starting this, down to about 13 stone now (carrying extra weight since I quit smoking three years ago). I tend to run at a steady, slow pace with the priority to complete the distances rather than any time while I improve my fitness. The overall goal is to finish a full marathon next year.:cool:

Advertisement