Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 8gb media player - €39.99 - 09/07/2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I was given a cheap MP3 player that looks like that one to put songs onto and it was a piece of shíté. Looks like the same menus from the picture as well. Really slow putting songs on it and the menus where terribly slow.

iPods are the best MP3 players IMO. Had a Creative for a while but then got a 120gb iPod Classic and its the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

jenno86 wrote: »
    I was given a cheap MP3 player that looks like that one to put songs onto and it was a piece of shíté. Looks like the same menus from the picture as well. Really slow putting songs on it and the menus where terribly slow.
    Hmmm... that would definitely put me off a lot.
    iPods are the best MP3 players IMO. Had a Creative for a while but then got a 120gb iPod Classic and its the biz.
    I can't stand iTunes, and to this day, I haven't figured out the controls on an ipod so I was hoping this would be a cheap alternative.

Meh, guess I'll stick to using my phone for music and video then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I used to hate iTunes as well but it started to grow on me. You can just use it for transferring songs to your iPod. Love the way it organises your music though. Just don't make it your default music player.

The controls on the iPod are really easy to get the hang of, just using it for a while and you pick it up really easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The Microsoft Zune will be released here in europe soon (i think). I bought mine from a u.k site that imported them, a few months back and it is great, with superb sound quality. Nice screen real estate on it also:)

Just an alternative to the ipod.

That aldi player would be ok for the gym i guess as if it dropped and got damaged it would not be a big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Can't abide apple, anything is better IMO. It's just an MP3, if there's one for €40 then that's fine once the music sounds the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

bladespin wrote: »
    Can't abide apple, anything is better IMO. It's just an MP3, if there's one for €40 then that's fine once the music sounds the same.

Ok,this was my mindset before,until I got an Apple Nano 2g 8gb (just the other week in fact) I've spend a countless amount of money on absolute pieces of shite such as the MP3 Player above,there such a pain to use!

The menus are ridiculously slow,bugs, and changing song takes < 3 second gap,now these MP3's are all well and good for kids or people who dont care much for proper mp3s but in all honesty you'll save yourself misery and money if you buy good quality mp3/4s such as Creative,Zune,iPod or Meizu (quite cheap+good) etc Just my 2cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭dubrov

Beware of really cheap Mp3 players. I have seen some that are completely useless and won't even sort songs or allow creation of playlists.

Sure the IPod menu system is great but there are plenty of very good alternatves. I would check reviews online or try to get a trial test in the shop first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I got a 8GB Sansa Clip for €55 (€59 before haggling) in Harvey Normans a couple of weeks ago. You can get it slightly cheaper online.

It's only an MP3 player (no videos), it's tiny, battery lasts for ages, supports audiobooks, has a radio and will work and charge with any PC with a bog standard USB cable. No need for any software especially iTunes :)

I've no hesitation recommending you spend the extra €15 / €19 on a good MP3 player. I don't know if the Aldi one is good or bad so I'm not recommending against it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Apologies for changing the thread, but if you hate itunes (as I do as well), just use Winamp instead, whole lot easier

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

I bought a Aldi mp3 player before. (4 of them for pressies) You had to create 4 folders (max) and drag and drop the mp3's into these folders. I did this. I tried to play the music and I could hear that it was clicking to a folder but it never played any music. I returned all 4. I know I could have been unluck but I wouldn't by a cheap mp3 again. I have a shuffle, classic, iriver and phillips, which I'm happy with, and 2 other very cheep players (these 2 were a waste of money also)

My preference is the iriver clix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've a friend who got another Aldi player a while back. It works fine but the interface is a kludge. I'm a Sansa Fuze person myself (you can buy them in Dunnes now) - lovely little drag 'n drop mp3 player with a radio. Having said that, you can't go too wrong with a cheap mp3 player out of Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭ronano

what do you think will be the dealo with these in limited supply or not? i'd like to get one but cba doing early morning lark

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

bought the iriver clix nearly two years ago after owning an ipod
    its the best thing out there imo
    sadly i paid twice the price to whats available now
    http://www.techreviews4u.com/2009/01/08/irivers-clix-2-now-less-than-100/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

My local Dunnes (Carrigaline) has a load of SanDisk stuff in their half-price bin. Mainly SD cards and so on but they have Sansa players and similar SanDisk players (I don't know the details). There was a 1G player for 9.99!. I have a 2GByte Sansa player at home - with radio and voice recorder - battery life is dire and the user interface is clunky. Prefer my iPod Nano despite the fact that it has been replaced under warranty already and can hang up a couple of times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

ronano wrote: »
    what do you think will be the dealo with these in limited supply or not? i'd like to get one but cba doing early morning lark

I'm not sure, I bought mine within the first 1/2hour or the shop opening so I don't know if they had enough for the day or days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

sedohre wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I bought mine within the first 1/2hour or the shop opening so I don't know if they had enough for the day or days after.
    My local ALDI (Douglas) still seems to have them in stock - at least there is still a sign near the checkouts saying "Ask Staff" or whatever - along with loads of other previous offers like TVs DVD players etc - ie there's stuff in the manager's office if you ask.

Advertisement