Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ground between P&S and DSLR's

• 07-07-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

DOnt know if there is such a thing as the middle ground between point and shoots and DSLR's ,A friend of mine has about €500 to spend and he doesnt want a P&S but yet is afraid of getting some thing like a 1000D because Quoate "I'd want something that wouldn't involve a week in FAS to work out how to use " And no amount of me dangling my 450D with Batt grip :D in front of him for €600 will change his mind ,So I ask ye - Is there something he could be looking at ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Panasonic G1

Olympus EP-1

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Canon Powershot G9/10 also.

I've used the G9 for quite a while, and it really does take decent pictures - pity its me holding it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

duffarama wrote: »
    Panasonic G1

Olympus EP-1

;)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jtang

i was in a similar position a few months ago when i was deciding on upgrading my film based AE-1 to a DSLR, but I ended up getting the Panasonic LX3 instead for 450e locally. I figured I would use a P&S a lot more than a DSLR since I'm lazy in carrying stuff around. So far I've been quite happy with the LX3 and I don't really miss my old SLR and lenses too much (except for the film look and feel)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sigma DP1 is kind of in between... very limited in some ways, price aint too bad if it suited your style of photography or DP2 but thats kind of expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Panasonic FZ28-
    18X zoom optical, up to 32.1X optical (at 3megapixel)
    macro
    many, many features.
    Nice sized body, like a small DSLR.
    A lot easier to carry around than a DSLR, no lens to change etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As said above, the cameras that are in the middle are called "Bridge Cameras" as they bridge that area between the P&S range & DSLR's
    Daz R1 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has about €500 to spend and he doesnt want a P&S but yet is afraid of getting some thing like a 1000D because Quoate "I'd want something that wouldn't involve a week in FAS to work out how to use "

One has to wonder if they will be getting much advantage out of getting a Bridge Camera if they have the attitude you have described above. What they have said is that they really want a P&S Camera. I will explain why I say this. One of the biggest advantages of a Bridge Camera over the P&S Models is that these cameras will have Manual Controls rather than just the Auto Modes which are common on the lower end products. It is this ability to take control of your exposure which will allow the photo's to improve over the basic models, however to know how to use the Manual Contols takes some understanding of Photography as well as the operation of the particular camera itself. If someone buys a Bridge Camera (or a DSLR for that matter) and then just sets it in Full Auto without an understanding of Photography they will be unlikely to get much better results than if they had saved a load of cash & stuck with a P&S. Sure there may be a bit less noise due to a physically larger sensor & the glass will be of a better quality, so maybe somewhat sharper & they will luck a few shots, but they will be missing out on the major advantages that the higher end gear will offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

I've been using the Sony DSC-F828 for 5 years or so and I'd recommend it.

I presume the model is obsolete now, although you might pick up a used one.
    DSC-R1 looks like the newest version although I notice it lacks the optical viewfinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

what about something like a nikon d40 or 40x, with a 24-135 or 18-200 lens on it?
    (Obv Canon equivalent acceptable too)

For me the Canon G4 was the perfect bridge camera - unfortunately it lost the battle in a storm up a glacier. Since then Canon jumped the shark with the G series, and only returned since the G9.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

eolair wrote: »

For me the Canon G4 was the perfect bridge camera - unfortunately it lost the battle in a storm up a glacier. Since then Canon jumped the shark with the G series, and only returned since the G9.

The Canon G4 was designed by the same team that did the Canon G8 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

UPDATE :

I met with my friend last night,went tru all the cameras ye suggested (thanks) even showed him my Sony bridge camera I had, let him hold my 450D (I know ! I was nervous :D) ,He read Cabinsail's post and explained that if you ever got into photography more than just the "holiday snaps" then at least you have the versatility of a 450 ( or significant other at the same level ) and that even a beginners class in the DCC,of which one of our friends teaches in there from time to time, would be of a huge help,It took me while but I think I got tru to him .....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The sony a200 is real cheap now, i've seen new ones go for as little at 249 sterling with the kit lens due to a new model coming into the shops shortly.

That leaves 250 for accessorys and some extra glass.

Its a really competent beginner friendly camera too.

Advertisement