Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cuir ort a dhuine

• 07-07-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Reading book called 'An Siondacáit' by Eoghan Ó Grádaigh. Nice easy to read fiction.

But stuck on this expression.. What's happened is a man has a stolen ring in this house, and guards have just found it under the table. The man denies it, and then the guard says,
    'Cuir ort a dhuine, nó arbh fhearr leat teacht in éineacht linn agus tú gléasta mar sin?'

so guessing from that context, it means 'give over' but I'd kinda like to get a definite meaning for it, and other examples of where you'd use it.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

i dont know for definite but i would hazzard a near certain guess at ''give over''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I wonder would it mean "Cuir ort (do chuid éadaí) a dhuine ?
    I say this because the garda then goes on to refer to the man's state of dress !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

pog it wrote: »
    R
    'Cuir ort a dhuine, nó arbh fhearr leat teacht in éineacht linn agus tú gléasta mar sin?'

Well without the "cuir ort a dhuine", the rest means "or would you like to come with us dressed like that".

I'd take "cuir ort a dhuine" to mean "get dressed"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I wonder would it mean "Cuir ort (do chuid éadaí) a dhuine ?
    I say this because the garda then goes on to refer to the man's state of dress !

Nice one. That's good thinking Gal Gréine! Tis possible alright, in the sense that the guards are saying 'get your clothes on' /'get dressed' (like Nuggles just suggested) (cause you're coming to the station).

Thanks so much for helping me with this! :)

Advertisement