Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fantasy Football 2009/2010 (MOD NOTE - POST #2151)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah Zhirkov did score on his debut but I think he has a knee injury at the minute. I'd hold off on including him in the early stages until it becomes clear where he fits into Ancelotti's plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Yeah Zhirkov did score on his debut but I think he has a knee injury at the minute. I'd hold off on including him in the early stages until it becomes clear where he fits into Ancelotti's plans.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I know he scored against Milan in a friendly, so he has featured.

ya, he got man of the match as well.

After watching the charity shield yesterday I would think that Zhirkov is a definite to get in ahead of Malouda.
    It's hard to tell if he will be one of those players to play every week though. Chelsea are spoilt in midfield so it's always a dodgy choice. I have him in my team at the minute, but may change it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What are people's thoughts on Wilshere for Arsenal? With Rosicky out he might be worth a punt at 5.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

mr.noobie wrote: »
    i cant make my mind up im after starting at least 5 times now:(

my team now is

Given
    Carragher - Hangeland - Evra - Corluka - Cole
    Gerrard - Fletcher - Murphy
    Owen - Anelka

subs: Jensen, N'Zogbia, McCarthy, Jerome

any suggestions???

You stole my entire defence ;)
    Jayob10 wrote: »
    Im always wary of spending big on defenders. Spend modestly on defenders who will play and have five defenders who you can rotate according to favourable fixtures. Free up money for a big scoring midfield

also why choose Jensen as a sub keeper?

I wouldn't consider that overspending on defence (of course I would say that!) but Hangelaand and Corluka are both 5.5, relative snips imo.

I think if you want to strengthen your midfield, take Owen out to free the money up. He's expensive for someone who will be rotated a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

GW 1 and 2 Team, probably a Wildcard after that:

Foster

Evra
    Cahill
    Warnock
    Faye Ab

Lampard
    Gerrard
    Modric
    Jimenez

Anelka
    Cole

Subs - Hart, Ebanks-Blake, Larsson, Figueroa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Feck ye all anyway buying Foster :P

I think the defense is where the points are at this year. Hopefully, looking at my team :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Final team, not changing it now barring injuries of course.

Foster

O Shea---Warnock---Painstil--Terry----Ashley Cole

---Gerrard----Arshavin----Lampard---Fletcher

Beattie

Subs:
    Hart, Muamba, Jerome, Folan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Soooo, Zhirkov?
    Even if fit, I can't see him walking straight into the team on Saturday.
    He looks like a wait and see, although I already have him in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I've changed:

Gomes
    O'shea - Gibet - A. Ferdinand
    Gerrard-Arshavin- Larsson- Malbranque
    Torres-Cole-Rooney (c)

Hart, zayatte, Kilbane, Muamba

to:

Foster
    O'Shea-Warnock-A. Ferdinand
    Gerrard-Arshavin-Jimenez-Larsson
    Torres-Darren Bent-Rooney(c)

Hart, Zayatte, Foley off Wolves, N'Zonzi off Blackburn.

I changed Carlton Cole for Bent because I think Bent will do well and also, I wanted to bring in Jimenez (who seems to be taking the free kicks for west ham and having a good pre season so far). I only like to have one striker/midfielder from the average teams (outside top four) so it seemed easiest to drop Cole for Bent and then bring in Jimenez.

That also freed up one million (Cole/bent is a straight swap and Jimenez is cheaper than Malbranque) so I used.5 of the million to change Givet to Warnock. I also plan to bring in a Spurs defender (Bassong or Woodgate who will both miss the first game) after gameweek 1.

The only players who miss GW2 are Arshavin, Jimenez and Warnock. I might get warnock subbed out for the Spurs player and then sub Ferdinand out for him.

What do people think of Drogba? He looked good yesterday in the community shield. i was half thinking of bringing him in but don't want to drop Rooney (who is due a big season and will be playing through the middle) or Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

You stole my entire defence ;)

I wouldn't consider that overspending on defence (of course I would say that!) but Hangelaand and Corluka are both 5.5, relative snips imo.

I think if you want to strengthen your midfield, take Owen out to free the money up. He's expensive for someone who will be rotated a lot.

ha ha ha what are the chances of that im planing to change my team again altho the defence will be largely unchanged cuz i think its rele good.

who do u guys think is gonna bag the most goals this year rooney? or anelka or drogba? or somebody else lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Looking for advice on my team. Threw it together quickly and it needs work!

Given

Hangeland---Corluka---Warnock--Hughes

A.Young
    Gerrard---Fletcher---Neville

Torres---Rooney

Subs: Foster, Dawson, Jiminez, Zamora

Thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Tusky wrote: »
    Looking for advice on my team. Threw it together quickly and it needs work!

Given

Hangeland---Corluka---Warnock--Hughes

A.Young
    Gerrard---Fletcher---Neville

Torres---Rooney

Subs: Foster, Dawson, Jiminez, Zamora

Thoughts ?

I don't think the defence is good enough, needs a couple of players from the top 4 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

This is my first year ever doing fantasy football. So your opinions would be great.....

Cech

Clichy
    Dunne
    Evans
    Cole

Kuyt
    Fletcher
    Barry
    Lennon

Berbatov
    Anelka

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Do people really experienced in this know if going for an all round good team or trying to get in a couple of real stars and then filling out your team is the best way to approach this?

cos atm i have gone for the all round approach with the bellow, although ive not fully decided on a starting line-up / formation:

GK: Cech (Hart)

Def: Evra, Hangeland, Cuellar, Warnock, Bassong

Mid: A.Young, Kuyt, Carrick, P. Neville, Jiminez

Att: Torres, Defoe (Bendtner)

()- def subs

Obviously he's no use at the moment, but Aquilani is 7.5

Bassong is down as being susspended but Sky are saying he has now served his 2 game ban and will be available

Do people really experienced in this know if going for an all round good team or trying to get in a couple of real stars and then filling out your team is the best way to approach this?

cos atm i have gone for the all round approach with the bellow, although ive not fully decided on a starting line-up / formation:

()- def subs

Generally, although every one is different, having the cheapest subs, but still players who will play, is a good way to do it.
    Then you can have decent money for the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Bassong is down as being susspended but Sky are saying he has now served his 2 game ban and will be available

Ya he is available, he served the first game at the end of last season and he was still registered as a Newcastle player on Saturday so that was the 2nd game, its on the official Spurs website too

• Advertisement

Nice one on Bassong.

Is it good when there are players on your bench that you want to start, but there's no place for them?

:D

If anybody is still interested.There are places still left in the head to head league I set up for boards.ie
    #
    12109-200408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I don't know if anybody is interested but I also play another FF game that includes players from the PL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga. I didn't want to start another FF thread so I'm just posting it here. Here's a link and if anybody is interested let me know and I'll start a league there too.

http://www.freefantasyfootball.tv/

dor83 wrote: »
    I don't know if anybody is interested but I also play another FF game that includes players from the PL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga. I didn't want to start another FF thread so I'm just posting it here. Here's a link and if anybody is interested let me know and I'll start a league there too.

http://www.freefantasyfootball.tv/

One league is enough of a headache tbh. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Christ on a bike, this is difficult picking a decent squad :mad: Very difficult to have Gerrard, Lampard and Arshavin in your squad without impacting on the strength of the rest of the squad.

()- def subs

already changed my team and im sure i will many more times before kick off:

Out: Kuyt, Carrick, Defoe & Bendtner

In: Gerrard, Milner, Bent & Zamora

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Christ on a bike, this is difficult picking a decent squad :mad: Very difficult to have Gerrard, Lampard and Arshavin in your squad without impacting on the strength of the rest of the squad.

That's totally new information!! :pac:

OPENROAD wrote: »

I'm impressed with folk who manage at least two. My most expensive midfielder after my 12.5er is 7.5.

Last season Gerrard got 23 more points more than Kuyt, and he's 3.0 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

JPA wrote: »
    That's totally new information!! :pac:

:D I dare say I will up to the very early hours of the morning for the next few days tinkering with my team,

Any problems in goals or in defense this guide might help you.

Issue #2 is coming this week. Don't worry, it'll be up before 11am on Saturday ;)

• Advertisement

Foster pulled out of England's international - will be missing at the weekend? Says nothing about their game at Brum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    One league is enough of a headache tbh. :pac:

You should try and be me.... I have got myself involved in 4 different versions so far...

Skysports, Official Premier League, The Times and Eurosport...

I think thats more than I can handle but I'm gonna give it a shot

EDIT: now got myself involved in the freefantasyfootball one that involves Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga and EPL.

Being a student I have plenty of time to get heavily involved in all 5 versions.

Any problems in goals or in defense this guide might help you.

Issue #2 is coming this week. Don't worry, it'll be up before 11am on Saturday ;)

Christ do you ever stop plugging your wares :D

Joking of course, keep up the good work
    Foster pulled out of England's international - will be missing at the weekend? Says nothing about their game at Brum.

They were kind of vague about the extent of the injury, but it sounds precautionary. Still, I've decided it's not worth the risk so I've gone back to Given, wouldn't be surprised to see the PIG start at the weekend.

Christ do you ever stop plugging your wares :D

Joking of course, keep up the good work

Nevar! :D
    They were kind of vague about the extent of the injury, but it sounds precautionary. Still, I've decided it's not worth the risk so I've gone back to Given, wouldn't be surprised to see the PIG start at the weekend.

I had Given, but with him missing GW2 I opted for Foster. Could be reversing that switch before Saturday.

Yep, that was my thinking too but I figure this is one transfer I dont have to make when VDS comes back. Who's your sub? I (like most) have Hart, and since they're playing Pompey at home in GW2 I've no reservations throwing him in.

Still, you'd expect to have more of an idea about Foster before the weekend so I might keep an eye on that.

Yep, that was my thinking too but I figure this is one transfer I dont have to make when VDS comes back. Who's your sub? I (like most) have Hart, and since they're playing Pompey at home in GW2 I've no reservations throwing him in.

Still, you'd expect to have more of an idea about Foster before the weekend so I might keep an eye on that.

Yep - I've Hart too. Might be worth throwing in against Portsmouth alright. Thing with Foster is when VDS is back I won't have enough in the bank to make a straight swap for Given or someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Whats people's opinion on expensive midfields?

Currently I have Eboue, Denilson, Barry, Jiminez and Milner. Its not the strongest group and I'm tempted to move players around (also have 2.5 cash) to get a big name in there (Lampard most likely, I fancy Chelski this year)

In my opinion, Gerrard or Lampard is necessary to keep up with the others.

I've only one of the players, and have managed to build a decent team around them. As mentioned earlier - my whole bench is playable this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Whats people's opinion on expensive midfields?

Currently I have Eboue, Denilson, Barry, Jiminez and Milner. Its not the strongest group and I'm tempted to move players around (also have 2.5 cash) to get a big name in there (Lampard most likely, I fancy Chelski this year)

A common school of thought last season seemed to be that you needed one of the "holy trinity" in your team (Ronaldo, Gerrard or Lampard). With Ronaldo now gone, many (myself included) are putting Arshavin in that bracket. Personally I think it's madness to not have at least one of these players who are almost guaranteed to be in the top scorers by the end of the season. I think if you have a weak midfield you are likely to struggle as the midfield brings home the most points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Think United would get in bit of trouble if they played him after he pulled out of the international game. Also didn't think he did that well last weekend.

Tough call.

• Advertisement

Mezcita wrote: »
    Think United would get in bit of trouble if they played him after he pulled out of the international game. Also didn't think he did that well last weekend.

Tough call.

Yep tempted to go back to Given anyway, he was poor on Sunday.

With Joe Hart in as subsititute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

A common school of thought last season seemed to be that you needed one of the "holy trinity" in your team (Ronaldo, Gerrard or Lampard). With Ronaldo now gone, many (myself included) are putting Arshavin in that bracket. Personally I think it's madness to not have at least one of these players who are almost guaranteed to be in the top scorers by the end of the season. I think if you have a weak midfield you are likely to struggle as the midfield brings home the most points.
    Well my plan is to have all three - after GW 3 that is :D

The money is already set aside!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Got Gerrard and Arshavin in at the moment and have Torres up front. Id like to say I think I've a nice setup

Green

Hangeland
    C. Davies
    Baines

Gerrard
    D. Murphy
    Arshavin
    Modric
    Lucas (will get a good run for first month-month and a half)

Torres
    Piquionne? had a great game at the weekend apparently

Subs:
    Sorensen
    Ebanks-Blake
    Figueroa
    Zayatte

And quite prepared to drop Lucas and put in E-B for a 3-4-3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Id like to say I think I've a nice setup

You are aware of the fixtures for week 2 right?? :D

Also Lucas? He's not gonna play many games all season I dunno why you think he will get a run for the first month or month and a half, in place of who?? Would be looking to get rid and spend the money more wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Axwell wrote: »
    You are aware of the fixtures for week 2 right?? :D

Also Lucas? He's not gonna play many games all season I dunno why you think he will get a run for the first month or month and a half, in place of who?? Would be looking to get rid and spend the money more wisely.

Alonso?

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Alonso?

Hes played some of the pre season but if gerrard gets pulled back into the midfield then Lucas is on the bench, also you have Benayoun, Babel,and Plessis all looking for a regular midfield spot..I would be looking at someone whos gonna play 90 mins for the same value and not risk a player who might not start or be dragged off before 60 mins up. Id go for Masherano before him if it came to it

Axwell wrote: »
    Hes played some of the pre season but if gerrard gets pulled back into the midfield then Lucas is on the bench, also you have Benayoun, Babel,and Plessis all looking for a regular midfield spot..I would be looking at someone whos gonna play 90 mins for the same value and not risk a player who might not start or be dragged off before 60 mins up. Id go for Masherano before him if it came to it

Who's to say Gerrard will get pulled back? No point breaking up the Torres/Gerrard partnership. Benayoun and Babel won't play in the center, which leaves Plessis. I think Plessis is too defence minded and Rafa will use Lucas as the link between Mascherano and Gerrard. All IMO of course.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Who's to say Gerrard will get pulled back? No point breaking up the Torres/Gerrard partnership. Benayoun and Babel won't play in the center, which leaves Plessis. I think Plessis is too defense minded and Rafa will use Lucas as the link between Mascherano and Gerrard. All IMO of course.

True, time will tell IMO though there are better purchases out there..id be more worried about the week 2 fixtures though looking at the team he listed as a lot of them wont be playing that week.

True. N'Zogbia is 0.5 more expensive but I'd say he'll play in most of Wigan's games. He got a few points more than Noble last year while playing a portion of it at left back. Could be worth a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

The reason you need to have one of the "holy trinity" in your team is because your captain scores double points. You need to decide who you think will be the highest scorer in the league this season and then make them your captain.

It was easy in the past with Ronaldo (and Henry before him). Gerrard, Lampard and Torress are a safe bet to be well up there. Arshavin looks like the shrewd choice however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement