Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fantasy Football 2009/2010 (MOD NOTE - POST #2151)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PH4T wrote: »
    You need to decide who you think will be the highest scorer in the league this season and then make them your captain.
    Well not really. You normally just pick whichever player is on form or if they have an "easy" game coming up and change it each week accordingly.

I suppose if you're lazy you could just leave it with one player for the whole season but up until this year that wasn't possible because some weeks they'd be rested and you'd lose out on double points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well not really. You normally just pick whichever player is on form or if they have an "easy" game coming up and change it each week accordingly.

I suppose if you're lazy you could just leave it with one player for the whole season but up until this year that wasn't possible because some weeks they'd be rested and you'd lose out on double points.

It is more likely that you will maximise your points by sticking with the most consistent high scoring players rather than trying to be clever and switching every week.

Form is of debatable value for picking your Captain. You usually just miss every good game week when you do that as it is a backwards looking statistic and does not take into account the opposition or other factors.

Selecting your Captain based on upcoming fixtures makes more sense and is another approach.

Well I've been doing FF for 5 years now and imo and ime Form is the most important factor when choosing players or choosing captains. But as always, each to their own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Well I've been doing FF for 5 years now and imo and ime Form is the most important factor when choosing players or choosing captains. But as always, each to their own!

Just because you've been doing it for five years doesn't mean you've been doing it well for five years ;)

I tend to go on who a team are playing. For example, United are home to Brum in the first game so I'm going with Rooney.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Just because you've been doing it for five years doesn't mean you've been doing it well for five years ;)
    Well I've either won or came second in my private leagues each year (except for Boards which has a ridiculous amount of players!) and finished 23,466 overall last year so I kinda have a bit of an idea of how to play it.

Biggest mistake I made last year was sticking with Ronaldo week in week out despite the fact that he wasn't in great form compared to the previous season.

I tend to go on who a team are playing. For example, United are home to Brum in the first game so I'm going with Rooney.
    Well this is the first week so you could hardly go with form.

and finished 23,466 overall last year so I kinda have a bit of an idea of how to play it.

I'll take my questions to whoever came 23,465th.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Team is done and dusted and i think its actually not bad

Foster

Cahill
    Evans
    Insua

Lampard
    Kuyt
    Arshavin
    Modric
    Jimenez

Rooney
    Ebanks-Blake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Stacksey wrote: »
    Team is done and dusted and i think its actually not bad

Foster

Cahill
    Evans
    Insua

Lampard
    Kuyt
    Arshavin
    Modric
    Jimenez

Rooney
    Ebanks-Blake

Yep not a bad team at all, very similar to what I have at the moment, although I'm now running Bent, Cole and Blake together upfront instead and Gerrard instead of Arshavin

Well I've either won or came second in my private leagues each year (except for Boards which has a ridiculous amount of players!) and finished 23,466 overall last year so I kinda have a bit of an idea of how to play it.

I won the Boards league in 2006 and have never been beaten in a private league. Including winning my workplace league that had over a hundred people in it in 2008. I also won the Off The Ball Newstalk league in 2006.

So I'd imagine I have a better idea than you how to play it.

There's alot to be said for form but if Rooney was banging in goals and United were playing a decent team like Everton, and Burnley are losing every game six nil and Liverpool are playing them, I'd go with Torres.

I do agree with you that each gameweek has to be taken on its own merits (rather than just have a captain for the season) but I still think who a team are playing should come into account more than who is in form. It stands to reason that you should have form players in your team all over the pitch. Otherwise there's a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I'll take my questions to whoever came 23,465th.

I have improved every year so expecting better this year again :D

Year----Score---Rank
    2006/07 1895 38,491
    2007/08 2128 37,659
    2008/09 2072 4,895

Not going to be easy!!!

Having headaches already - plus I joined that TOP 4 LESS boards league too - double the trouble!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Put aside half an hour to meddle with my team today, currently decided on:

Ben Foster

Ashley Cole
    Johnny Evans
    Curtis Davies
    Aaron Hughes

Frank Lampard
    Dirk Kuyt
    Andrey Arshavin
    Steven Pienaar

Dimitar Berbatov
    Kevin Doyle

Guys whats the password for the Top 4-less league?

I won the Boards league in 2006 and have never been beaten in a private league. Including winning my workplace league that had over a hundred people in it in 2008. I also won the Off The Ball Newstalk league in 2006.

So I'd imagine I have a better idea than you how to play it.
    Sounds like you just had a lucky year in '06

Did you ever get your money?

There's alot to be said for form but if Rooney was banging in goals and United were playing a decent team like Everton, and Burnley are losing every game six nil and Liverpool are playing them, I'd go with Torres.
    But that would mean that Burnley had bad form so you'd obviously go with a player that had a good chance to put some past them.

Look, I'm not saying that you have to stick to Form regardless of everything else. It's like when the Top 4 are playing, I'd rarely put the likes of Lampard or Gerrard captain for a Chelsea/Pool game and likewise Ronaldo or Adebayor for a Utd./Arsenal game.

Sounds like you just had a lucky year in '06

Did you ever get your money?

But that would mean that Burnley had bad form so you'd obviously go with a player that had a good chance to put some past them.

Look, I'm not saying that you have to stick to Form regardless of everything else. It's like when the Top 4 are playing, I'd rarely put the likes of Lampard or Gerrard captain for a Chelsea/Pool game and likewise Ronaldo or Adebayor for a Utd./Arsenal game.

So when did you ever have a lucky year in five years of playing? :rolleyes:

Tbh, I don't think the captain is a as big as some people make it out to be. The people who do really well are the people who have the 'surprise packages'. Example - Stephen Ireland last year. He started off being very cheap but had a superb season and rose throughout the year.

Lampard, Torres etc. don't make that much difference as most people have them and transfer them in. If you've a player like Ireland last year or Pedersen in '06 (who I had) that is very cheap but gets around the same points as a Lampard or Gerrard, that's when you are flying.

I have Gerrard, Arshavin, Torres and Rooney in my team but its the players like Larsson from Brum that I'm hoping will make the difference.

So when did you ever have a lucky year in five years of playing? :rolleyes:
    Not really. Just continued improvement each year as I've gotten used to playing the game.

Tbh, I don't think the captain is a as big as some people make it out to be. The people who do really well are the people who have the 'surprise packages'. Example - Stephen Ireland last year. He started off being very cheap but had a superb season and rose throughout the year.
    Yeah exactly. I had him along with Geovanni (before he lost his form), Schwarzer too. Plus, players like Lescott who's price has increased by 1m each year. He was only 5m in 06/07 he's now 7m. You just need to be quick to get the edge.

There's no one thing that makes you instantly good at this game but I still hold the view that the difference is knowing when to buy and sell players by studying their.........yeah you guessed it, Form.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

How does this team look?

Cech

Clichy
    Dunne
    Evans
    Cole

Kuyt
    Fletcher
    Barry
    Lennon

Berbatov
    Anelka

Not bad at all, but obviously you are without either Lampard, Gerrard or Arshavin.

Evans will only start for Utd for a short while before Vidic is back, and it's not clear Dunne will play at all at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Wow- people are shortsighted- the best approach is take each 5 week spell on it's own- In their first five Arsenal have no game in week two and United in week 4- stay off ardshavin until week 6 or that.
    Opponent
    1: Schwarzer 175 - - Portsmouth (A)

2: Evra 106 - - Birmingham (H)
    3: Cole A 141 - - Hull City (H)
    4: Carragher 161 - - Tottenham (A)
    5: Terry 141 - - Hull City (H)
    6: Hangeland 147 - - Portsmouth (A)

7: Gerrard 216 - - Tottenham (A)
    8: Lampard (C) 226 - - Hull City (H)

9: Cole 127 - - Wolves (A)
    10: Beattie 80 - - Burnley (H)
    11: Ebanks-Blake - - - West Ham (H)

15: Muamba 71 - - Sunderland (H)

Is my team- I have a full squad for week 2 and favourable fixtures for the first 6 games. Finished in top 300 last year- here's hoping the breaks go my way this year. Good luck to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Archimedes wrote: »
    Guys whats the password for the Top 4-less league?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055616182

The code for the league and how to pay the entry fee are in the thread above

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Foster

Johnston
    Cole
    Ferdinand
    Steinnsston

Lampard
    A Young----Geovanni----Lawerance

Torres
    Ebanks Blake

Nzogbia
    Zayatte
    Akinbiyi!

Most of these boys available for GW 2 as well. Hopefully should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

was considering doing some further changes in light of the possible Stephen Hunt move to hull, no confirmation yet on any of the news sites or the premierleauge site, but according to wiki, he is now a hull player
    Stephen Patrick Hunt (born 1 August 1981 in Portlaoise, County Laois) is an Irish footballer. His position is left midfield, although he can also play at left-back and in centre midfield and he plays professionally for Hull City. He previously played for Brentford and Crystal Palace and Reading. He is sponsered by Puma. His younger brother, Noel Hunt, is also a footballer, and joined Reading in 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hunt_(footballer_born_1981)
    This page was last modified on 11 August 2009 at 15:12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hunt_(footballer_born_1981)

anyone else have any info, or when would the fantasy football list be updated after a transfer

:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just joined there now (Patter United)!

irish-stew, the clubs have only agreed fees he hasn't signed officially there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish-stew, the clubs have only agreed fees he hasn't signed officially there yet.

thats what i thought, every news/sports site i reed was indicated that fact, maybe some should tell wiki

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Current version of my team. Any thoughts appreciated

Foster

Carvalho
    O Shea
    Halford

Lampard (c)
    Gerrard
    Valencia
    Modric
    Richardson

Bent
    Beattie

Subs : Ebanks-Blake, Bardsley, Espinoza

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Okay this will be the last time i change my team before the big kick off*

......................Cech

....Warnock...Hangeland...Evra

Arshavin..Neville..Carrick..Barry..Young

...............Bent.....Van Persie

Subs: Bassong, L.Young, Zamora

*This probably wont be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Well, finally had enough time to pick a team.....name: Great year '74

Let me know what ye think

Given
    Schwarzer

Baines
    Hangelaand
    Cahill
    Toure
    Carragher

Ireland
    Davies
    N'zogbia
    Gerrard
    Modric

Agbonlahor----Jerome
    Doyle

Would really love some feedback

Approx. the 10th change I've made, done with G2 and the next 3-4 weeks in mind.

Foster

Cole
    Evans
    Upson

Lampard
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Essien
    Kuyt

Ebanks Blakes
    Beattie

Subs:

Hart
    Scharner
    Ferdinand (Sunderland)
    Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dodgy having foster in goal

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    dodgy having foster in goal

I was thinking that but Unt have 3 very handy games first up and I think Ferguson ill keep faith with Foster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is Gerrard going to be fit for this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Opinions of this please

Game weeks 1 and 2 only

Foster or Kuschack

evans
    A.cole
    carragher
    corluka
    bassong

lampard
    gerard
    flecther

agbonleher
    keane

Then after Game week 2 use wild card and the pick the following

sorenson

lescott
    carragher
    terry
    corluka

Arshavin
    ireland
    barry
    modric
    arteta

bent

Is Gerrard going to be fit for this weekend?

I'd say he will, but re-check some stage before GW1 comes around just to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I'd say he will, but re-check some stage before GW1 comes around just to make sure.

:)

Any thoughts on this team guys:confused:

Given
    Schwarzer

Baines
    Hangelaand
    Cahill
    Toure
    Carragher

Ireland
    Davies
    N'zogbia
    Gerrard
    Modric

Agbonlahor----Jerome
    Doyle

Would appreciate any comments, good or bad:)

• Advertisement

Seven players are missing in gameweek 2.

Seven players are missing in gameweek 2.

Thanks
    For real, feck, my head is wrecked tryna sort the damned thing out.

Is the best thing to do is to use the wildcard and change after GW2???

You've a headache? ;)

I've 14 players all fighting for a place in my team this weekend, and only two will be missing for GW 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Opinions of this please

Game weeks 1 and 2 only

Foster or Kuschack

evans
    A.cole
    carragher
    corluka
    bassong

lampard
    gerard
    flecther

agbonleher
    keane

Then after Game week 2 use wild card and the pick the following

sorenson

lescott
    carragher
    terry
    corluka

Arshavin
    ireland
    barry
    modric
    arteta

bent

Very brave to go with 2 Spurs defenders against Liverpool. I wouldn't risk it personally.
    Thanks
    For real, feck, my head is wrecked tryna sort the damned thing out.

Is the best thing to do is to use the wildcard and change after GW2???

It's an option a lot of people will go for I'm sure. I'm currently trying to work out a team that will get me through a few weeks before I switch to my "main team".

You've a headache? ;)

I've 14 players all fighting for a place in my team this weekend, and only two will be missing for GW 2.

Wish I had that problem:)

I must be going blind look at the page on FF.
    Where do you see the GW 2 info???

• Advertisement

Wish I had that problem:)

I must be going blind look at the page on FF.
    Where do you see the GW 2 info???

It's mentioned at the bottom here, plus Fulham and Blackburn whose game was postponed recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Very brave to go with 2 Spurs defenders against Liverpool. I wouldn't risk it personally.

Well spurs are at home

Well spurs are at home

But it's against Liverpool ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well spurs are at home

They are at home and normally at home they are very good defensively but this situation is a bit different. Going into this game they have no Dawson, no King, no Woodgate and no Bale and they will also be handing Bassong an immediate debut. All of this to deal with against the team who were top scorers in the league last season!

I wouldn't go near Spurs defenders myself but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

would vanelcia be a guaranteed starter for united now?
    i think he came on in place of nani the other day, and nani is out injured isnt he, so would valencia be the most likely replacement?

For those asking, Stephen Hunt completed his move to Hull so expect him to appear on Thursday or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

tok9 wrote: »

Schwarzer

-Pantsil
    Warnock
    Zhirkov
    Figueroa

-Behrami
    Gerrard
    Arteta
    Arshavin

Doyle
    Torres

12: Sorensen
    13: Shawcross
    14: Lawrence
    15: Jerome

After days of tinkering and taking gameweek 2 into account the team is

Foster

----Figueroa
    Bassong
    Da Silva
    Zhirkov---

-Noble
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Arshavin
    Lennon--

Torres

13: McFadden
    14: Piquionne
    15: Shawcross

So in G2 I'll sell Arshavin and get in Lampard ( I've 1.0 in the bank)

What do eh think?

I honestly think Lucas at 5.0 is a steal for someone who will play at least 90% of the matches till Aquaman is at least fit. Impressed me enough in pre season.. plenty of forward runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

tok9 wrote: »
    After days of tinkering and taking gameweek 2 into account the team is

Foster

----Figueroa
    Bassong
    Da Silva
    Zhirkov---

-Noble
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Arshavin
    Lennon--

Torres

13: McFadden
    14: Piquionne
    15: Shawcross

So in G2 I'll sell Arshavin and get in Lampard ( I've 1.0 in the bank)

What do eh think?

I honestly think Lucas at 5.0 is a steal for someone who will play at least 90% of the matches till Aquaman is at least fit. Impressed me enough in pre season.. plenty of forward runs

Gone for Foster and Sorenson as well. At least if Foster does not play, Sorenson has a decent chance of scoring some points.

Bassong will be lining out in a weakened Spurs defence (see a few posts above from Mr. Nice Guy). Da Silva may not start. Think Evans has a better chance.

Not sure about Lucas. He's cheap and Benitez rates him highly but surely Mascherano will start ahead of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Can people please suggest their best value buys. I mean those that will score most points per million spent on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mezcita wrote: »
    Gone for Foster and Sorenson as well. At least if Foster does not play, Sorenson has a decent chance of scoring some points.

Bassong will be lining out in a weakened Spurs defence (see a few posts above from Mr. Nice Guy). Da Silva may not start. Think Evans has a better chance.

Not sure about Lucas. He's cheap and Benitez rates him highly but surely Mascherano will start ahead of him?

I haven't decided on Bassong yet.. it's between himself and shawcross. I'm taking a chance on da silva ( Bruce seems to always find a gem) but thats a good point about evans... never thought about him.

It will be masch and Lucas in midfield i think... He will be a lot more advanced than masch too....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement