Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fantasy Football 2009/2010 (MOD NOTE - POST #2151)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ended on exactly 2300 which is my highest score ever. I was about top 10K in the world with 4 weeks to go and decided to for broke and make a few gambles to get into top 1-2k but they didn't pay off.

This year however was a very high scoring year - mainly due to Rooney, Drogba, Lamps and Fabregas...

You cant base your score on previous years scores really; you can base your final position as thats a relative comparison.

Last year I scored only 2072 points ,and was in the top 5000. This year I better that score by ~100 and barely back to top 100,000 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, this year was odd alright. I think it helped that there wasn't a Ronaldo or Henry player that was uber exensive and everyone had to have.

Won my work league but lost the work head to head. Broke into top 100 in the boards league in the final week. Unlike some, I like the changes they have introduced this year.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yeah, this year was odd alright. I think it helped that there wasn't a Ronaldo or Henry player that was uber exensive and everyone had to have.

Won my work league but lost the work head to head. Broke into top 100 in the boards league in the final week. Unlike some, I like the changes they have introduced this year.

Oh yea, I forgot about the changes.

The captaincy rule I think has ruined it slightly. This would be main reason for the high scores this year - as ppl who used to research injured players and thought wisely regarding their captaincy choice had very little advantage this year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

thewools wrote: »
    You cant base your score on previous years scores really; you can base your final position as thats a relative comparison.

Yeah, true, but it was also my highest positional finish on 19000ish.

Oh yea, I forgot about the changes.

The captaincy rule I think has ruined it slightly. This would be main reason for the high scores this year - as ppl who used to research injured players and thought wisely regarding their captaincy choice had very little advantage this year.

That Lampard vice-captain debacle a few weeks back pretty much ended the season for me regarding a high place finish. They really need to scrap that rule. It game many people half a gw worth of points for a poor decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

is there WC fantasy games? and if so which are the best ones?!

not sure, but will enjoy watching it, especially after the dire season just had (not FF wise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yea I'll definitely try do a WC FF. If any one finds a good one (similar to the pl one I guess) let us know and we can get another boards league going. Could be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Your best signings?
    Milner and Dunne were solid as rocks, the Hart/Sorenson axis worked well most of the time.
    Drogba, Rooney and Cesc of course. All 3 probably doing better than just about everyone expected especially points machine Fabregas.

Regrets: Never had Lampard, probably cost me at least one league.

The 2 lessons I learned this year.

Never sell Lampard unless he is injurerd
    Never but Defoe. Ever.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Your best signings?

Prob Darren Bent this season - had him from the start!! Could also say Rooney, Lamps etc

Others who where good value this season: Ridgewell and Dann (Both Birmingham)

Worst Signing - prob Defoe - think I brought him on 2/3 different times. Done nothing for weeks and weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

JPA wrote: »
    Your best signings?

all the usuals lamp,drogba, rooney...etc my unusual best signing had to be etherington and johnson (man city)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

2171 points overall and 342nd. in the Boards League.

Won the final of a private H"H league yesterday 88 - 79, Drogba as captain was lovely.

Frisbee wrote: »
    2171 points overall and 342nd. in the Boards League.

Won the final of a private H"H league yesterday 88 - 79, Drogba as captain was lovely.

You finished one position higher than me :P Both of us finished on 2171. :o

Not sure what decided that you were placed above me however in the league table :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Not sure what decided that you were placed above me however in the league table :(

Number of transfers.
    Person with the least is rated higher in the table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Finished with 2152 pts and 394th in the Boards league, won a couple of fairly meh private leagues and finished 3rd in the big two I was challenging. Massive turnaround for me since the start of this year - I actually finished 17th and 18th on points in Oct and Nov of my main league (out of 19 people!) but won January, March and May and just stormed back. I think 394 is the highest I was all year in the Boards league so very glad my players weren't bottlers :D Lampard was easily my best signing

• Advertisement

Least transfers if level on points mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Only got 2070 and around 650th in the boards league. Poor, but I hardly put any time into it this year. Only made 20 transfers.

Does the winner of the whole FF - not just boards.ie comp - get anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

2494pts and 258th in the world.

Never entered the boards league, what score won it? Where might I have came?

podge018 wrote: »
    2494pts and 258th in the world.

Never entered the boards league, what score won it? Where might I have came?

Oh look at me! ;)
    You would have come 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

nice. Was there a few quid involved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

My player of the year was David Dunn.

Missed 16 games through injury, was unfit and subbed off early for another 5/6.

But, scored 9 goals and got 2 assists and picked up a massive 23 bonus points(nearly as many as Drogba).

The best thing is his price started at 5.5 and finished at 5.2 so you can easily have him as a sub.

Obviously the injury thing was a problem but when he's fit, he stands out in that Blackburn team and is THE best cheap option midfielder in the game.

He's the first name on my teamsheet next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

podge018 wrote: »
    nice. Was there a few quid involved?

IIRC, it was €500 for third.

gosplan wrote: »
    My player of the year was David Dunn.

Missed 16 games through injury, was unfit and subbed off early for another 5/6.

But, scored 9 goals and got 2 assists and picked up a massive 23 bonus points(nearly as many as Drogba).

The best thing is his price started at 5.5 and finished at 5.2 so you can easily have him as a sub.

Obviously the injury thing was a problem but when he's fit, he stands out in that Blackburn team and is THE best cheap option midfielder in the game.

He's the first name on my teamsheet next season.

I had him for a while alright. What's a bit funny about this game is that if a team has a creative player who dribbles and can pick a pass they invariably get bonus points even if others were more deserving. It's just the players who show touches of class stand out for a little while compared to a centre back clearing 20 balls in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Finished 17th in the boards.ie league with 2411 points. Gambled with Nani as Captain to try and break into the top 10 but it didn't work out.

Worst signing by a mile was Arshavin. I had big hopes for him and had him in my team till Xmas! He should stick to his blog and not play football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Finished with 2154. 125,000th or something in the world. Fairly crap in comparison to most of you.
    Oddly enough this was my highest position of the year, the only time I was anywhere near this was back in Week 1 when I was around 127,000th :pac:

Best buy of the year? Had to be Bent. Had him for the entire season :)
    Also had Evra all season, and Dunne since Week 7 or 8.

I can only wonder who will be the big purchases and points scorers next year. After such a display recently, Bale is almost a shoe-in for most people. And also, the choice of forwards will be interesting as well, so many good performers, but you can only have the three of them!

Who else will be one of those epic value picks early on and go to score almost as well as the leaders?

Bale will probably be down as a midfielder next season, so no clean sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Points (Rank)

Overall: 2131 (157,697)
    May: 164 (43,344)

Boards.ie » 460
    Not very good but could have been a lot worse too :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Finisihed on 2101 for the year. Finished 553 in the Boards league.

Boards finished 11th in the overall league standings. We can break the top 10 next year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Iago wrote: »
    can't believe you pipped me on the 2nd last day of the season :(

What's your name in it iago? Pm if u like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Finished with 2,377 points, in 33rd in the boards league and 4,715 overall.

Just looking at my stats:
    7 x 4 point hits and 2 x 8 point hits - all in the 2nd half of the season when there was lots of double game weeks. Played my wildcard in week 3.

Worst week was 29 points in week 21, best was 146 in week 22.

Joe Hart was the only player I had from day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    33rd in the boards league

Just beat you ...... 32 in boards league :)
    Won all my private leagues, have to find something else to think about til august.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Moderately happy with this season. Had a very poor final 6 weeks that saw me drop from 90 or so to 150 in the boards league. Really think I could have finished top in my two work leagues and pocketed close to 2k if I had of managed to keep it together:

61461844.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Kevin Nolan is my cheap banker for midfield next season.
    Back on the goal scoring trail like his days at Bolton:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Pleased with how the season went, had set myself a target of averageing 60 points a week, finishing in the top 2000 globally and winning all my money leagues and hit all these, made a few too many transfers than initially planned but I'll put that down to the freakish number of double game weeks that popped up!

FPLFinish.jpg?t=1273682302

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Anyone gots a good site for world cup fantasy football?
    most the sites dont let you set your own league!!!

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Anyone gots a good site for world cup fantasy football?
    most the sites dont let you set your own league!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055907037
    World Cup FF thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Just wanted to post here so that people would see an update on their control panel, think wow, it might be back up and running, only to find this message and realize it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

EI111 wrote: »
    Just wanted to post here so that people would see an update on their control panel, think wow, it might be back up and running, only to find this message and realize it's not.

Quiet Friday then?

Fizman wrote: »
    Quiet Friday then?

You wouldn't believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

woohoo its back,

oh wait its not, dam you, dam you to hell.

is that what you wanted?

token56 wrote: »
    woohoo its back,

oh wait its not, dam you, dam you to hell.

is that what you wanted?

Kind of I suppose, but not in such a staged phoney manner. Just quiet disappointment without the fanfare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Think it usually comes back about the end of July. (or first week in August)
    At least that is when I remember it being open to select last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

The EPL game opens back up on the 12th July which is this coming Monday. There have been a few changes to the rules as well.

Looking forward to the fun.

Macker1 wrote: »
    The EPL game opens back up on the 12th July which is this coming Monday. There have been a few changes to the rules as well.

how do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Macker1 wrote: »

Yes, I've heard this too.

Roll on Monday! (and some tweakage to the vice-captain rule *fingers crossed*)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Hmmm, is this some sort of inside information? Any more details on these rule changes?

Edit: Actually here there are

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2010/07/09/monday-is-the-day-the-fantasy-premier-league-returns-with-a-twist/

Summary:

An Extra Wildcard between Gameweek 22 and 27

Extra free transfer rolls over, but not more than two in any week

Own goals points deduction of -2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Could I make a suggestion for this year? Last year we had a massive touranment with way way more posters on the soccer forum than there is. I was wondering would there be interest in a some sort of regular posters league in addition to the normal league, which I think would make it a little more of a rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

PHB wrote: »
    Could I make a suggestion for this year? Last year we had a massive touranment with way way more posters on the soccer forum than there is. I was wondering would there be interest in a some sort of regular posters league in addition to the normal league, which I think would make it a little more of a rivalry.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

PHB wrote: »

I would love to be part of that...... I would suggest setting up a H2H league to which people have to be invited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is there any way we could do some sort of fair criteria?

Anyone with over 100 posts in any of the mega threads last year?

Would it be possible to get a forum wide count on post counts and make it anyone with over 200 posts in the last year on the forum or something? I could probably just brute force take the post counts from the top 20 threads or something, and then run them through excel and create a list of people with over X number of posts.

Ideas?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement