Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fantasy Football 2009/2010 (MOD NOTE - POST #2151)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Added to Hot Thread sticky.

I like hot sticky things

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

One for the Liverpool fans I guess...

What are the chances of Benayoun being a regular starter?
    Benny would be a good calculated risk, he's always good for a goal and an assist. Maybe towards the end of the season though. If Kuyt, Riera or Gerrard got injured I'd get Benny, definately worth it and at just 7.5 it'd be a bargain if he was guarenteed a spot due to injury.

I've a big feeling that Lucas will be involved for the better more next year, i think he's just 5.0 so if you've a sub spot in mind and a spot left for an LFC player he'd be worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Benny would be a good calculated risk, he's always good for a goal and an assist. Maybe towards the end of the season though. If Kuyt, Riera or Gerrard got injured I'd get Benny, definately worth it and at just 7.5 it'd be a bargain if he was guarenteed a spot due to injury.

I've a big feeling that Lucas will be involved for the better more next year, i think he's just 5.0 so if you've a sub spot in mind and a spot left for an LFC player he'd be worth a punt.

Lucas, Mascherano, Mikel, these type of players are not good picks in FF.
    And having someone like Lucas who rarely starts as a sub? It's not a risk, it's just wasting a spot on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wahey Arshavin is a midfielder now!:D...little bit on the pricey side though

It's a gut feeling that Lucas will be ... better next year. And with Alonso or Mascherano gone, it'll be all the better for him. In fact I'm confident he'll prove the doubters wrong if and when he plays.

playa3 wrote: »
    Wahey Arshavin is a midfielder now!:D...little bit on the pricey side though
    I bought him. Then I sold him for Gerrard. :pac:

It's a gut feeling that Lucas will be ... better next year. And with Alonso or Mascherano gone, it'll be all the better for him. In fact I'm confident he'll prove the doubters wrong if and when he plays.

Better maybe but he's not going to become a FF type player.

Mine's "Norfolk in Chance"

Gomes, Sorensen

Hangeland, Shawcross, Woodgate, Evra, Zhirkov (C)

Gerrard, Mikel, Benayoun, Rodwell, Jimenez

Beattie, Torres, Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Subject to change

1: Schwarzer

2: Evra
    3: Zhirkov
    4: Carragher
    5: Vidic
    6: Hangeland

7: Gerrard(C)
    8: Arshavin

9: Cole
    10: Beattie
    11: Doyle

Very hard to get Lamps and Gerrard in with their prices till I noticed Arshavin classed as a midfielder- surely the bargain of the season as he's likely to get 20+ goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

1: Schwarzer

Think Fulham will struggle a bit this season. Their squad is way too small to be able to handle the league and Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

edit

here's my team

given
    Pantsil----Lescott---Yobo----Evra
    Valencia---Modric----Ireland---Riera
    Rooney
    Yakubu

captain Ireland

subs are doyle,Taylor,Muamba and Samuel

that's my first team ever in ff,so any thoughts on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Headshot wrote: »

Looks good Headshot though I think going for the Yak at 8 million is a pretty big risk considering he's coming back from a very bad injury. I would personally hold off on him for the first few weeks to see how well he copes.

I don't know about Riera there Headshot, or Modric tbh.

I changed mine earlier, just to see what it'd turn out with only one real expensive striker. Went for a 442, it seems 343 is out of the question for a lot of people this year with so many expensive strikers.

Given
    Hangeland---Brown
    Skrtel
    Evra
    Gerrard (C)---Essien----Pienaar----Ireland
    Torres----SEB

Looks good Headshot though I think going for the Yak at 8 million is a pretty big risk considering he's coming back from a very bad injury. I would personally hold off on him for the first few weeks to see how well he copes.

ill keep an eye on everton pre-season games to see how he gets on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Slowly evolving:

Schwarzer
    Hughes
    Woodgate
    Baines
    Zhirkov
    Fellaini
    Gerard(c)
    Arshavin

Doyle
    Torres
    Beattie

Subs: Sorenson, Zayatte, Edwards and Muamba.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

edit

here's my team

given
    Rooney
    Yakubu

captain Ireland

Not too sure to be honest, I like the two cbs, but midfield looks quite weak, Valencia may well give a good return on goals but I would have a question mark over him at the moment, Ireland did superb last season but at his current price I wonder how if their is better value to be had elsewhere, that said you should always go with your own instincts, I'm sure everyones team will change over the next month, so as a first draft not bad but I would look at your midfield.

I don't know about Riera there Headshot, or Modric tbh.

why is that ?

I picked Riera because he should be starting for liverpool and I highly rate modric

rethinking about my midfield maybe i might add Fellaini to it,maybe trade modric for Fellaini

actually i like this team alot

given
    valencia---fellaini---ireland----Riera
    Rooney----carew

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just joined, did this really quickly so might (read; will) change this a bit.

Name is:
    Forza Rossoneri
    Manager:
    Seán Kelly.

went for mostly fullbacks in defence as I think the extra assists and schtuff and the clean sheet bonus for defenders means they score a lot of points for fairly cheap money.

Picked mostly attacking midfeilders besides for essien who i chose because he will score a few and be MOM a fair bit.

Picked my strikers based on value for money and what I think they will do next year.

My keeper because I think he will start every game and the club he is at should do ok next year.

1: Gordon - will play most games for sunderland and I reckon they will be top half next season.

2: Zhirkov - cheap and listed as a defender, HAD to take him!
    3: Evra - He's bloody good.
    4: Lescott - Goal scoring Cb, should be a good buy
    5: Bridge - will play ever game and city should be pussing for a european spot.

6: Ireland - same as bridge and will score a few goals and get a few MOM's
    7: Valencia - Reckon this season will be a big one for Antonio.
    8: Behrami - really liked him as aplayer at Lazio, bit of a gamble but should be a good buy.
    9: Essien - with a full season infront of him he should do well under carletto.

10: Torres (C) - think he will be top scorer so was a no brainer to make him captain.
    11: Keane - will get a few MOMS and should, as usual, be spurs top scorer.

Subs:
    12: Sorensen - solid back up and cheap.
    13: Cattermole - May push Behrami for a first team spot
    14: Doyle - if wolves do ok he is a great sub for the price
    15: Foley - same as doyle, so cheap and so much potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

I just made my team but it will probably be changed before the season starts! :D

Gomes
    ----Ferdinand----Carragher
    Zhirkov
    -Gerrard--Arshavin--Neville--Jimenez--Dempsey-
    Torres
    Zamora

Subs: Sorenson, Zayette, McShane, Jerome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

edit

here's my team

given
    Rooney
    Yakubu

captain Ireland

Lescott is a great choice, he'll get the balance between clean sheets and goals scored.

Not sure two defenders from the one team (other than ManYoo, Pool or Chelsea) is a good idea, but if you must then Jagielka is the same price as Yobo and a better option IMO (will Yobo be at the ACN?)

Not sure about Valencia and Modric...you need your midfielders to score or assist on a regular basis, and Valencia might not hit the ground running. Cahill and Ashley Young are the same price, and safer bets.

I'd wait and see who comes and goes at Spurs, depending on signings there's a chance Modric could end up playing a more advanced role behind a single striker, and he'll probably get involved more than if he is on the left.

If you're looking for value at Spurs take a look at Corluka for 5.5m, he's the most likely to score and get an assist or two.

Lescott is a great choice, he'll get the balance between clean sheets and goals scored.

Not sure two defenders from the one team (other than ManYoo, Pool or Chelsea) is a good idea, but if you must then Jagielka is the same price as Yobo and a better option IMO (will Yobo be at the ACN?)

Not sure about Valencia and Modric...you need your midfielders to score or assist on a regular basis, and Valencia might not hit the ground running. Cahill and Ashley Young are the same price, and safer bets.

I'd wait and see who comes and goes at Spurs, depending on signings there's a chance Modric could end up playing a more advanced role behind a single striker, and he'll probably get involved more than if he is on the left.

If you're looking for value at Spurs take a look at Corluka for 5.5m, he's the most likely to score and get an assist or two.

hey tro, Jagielka will be out injured for a long stretch

you missed my previous post here's my new team

given
    Rooney----carew

im going to stick with valencia,i just have that feeling ya know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Wasn't aware of Jags.

And you'll have a feeling of falling behind the leaders if you're not careful...;)

hey tro, Jagielka will be out injured for a long stretch

you missed my previous post here's my new team

given
    Rooney----carew

Well your a newbie at this so the thing with 2 defenders from the same team, is if Everton have a bad game, concede one or 2, you're in trouble.

The trick will be to find the Fulham of last season, I know it can be a risk having more than one defender from the same team but it can also pay off, Fulham being a prime example last season. It is still too early to know which team could be the surprise package, the transfer market is still very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Team at the moment:

Schwarzer
    ---Faye Ab---Zhirkov---Hughes---Ferdinand---Baines---
    ---Lampard(c)
    Gerrard
    Pienaar
    Valencia----
    Ebanks Blake

Subs:
    Sorensen
    Zamora
    Fahey
    Rodriguez

Probably will change alot during the before the start. I know my forward line up is very weak but in my experience they are least value for money, so I dont like spending big money on strikers.
    I am considering taking out either Lampard/Gerrard and putting in Arshavina and then being able to bring in Cole in the forwards for Zamora, or strenghting my defence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

who is this Ebanks Blake guy?!

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Wolves striker

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Wolves Striker as said, and has been the top goal scorer in the championship for the past 2 years to the best of my knowledge, should be good for a few goals this season.

token56 wrote: »
    Wolves Striker as said, and has been the top goal scorer in the championship for the past 2 years to the best of my knowledge, should be good for a few goals this season.

big difference between the championship and PL

I think doyle will be the main man in that team

Agree about the big difference, but I think there is always one or two players from the championship who shine early on in the premiership and he will be one of them. Personally I think himself and Doyle should do well upfront together but it will be Ebanks Blake scoring more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Invincible

Pro. F wrote: »
    Have a look at the FF over on the Guardian website. All sorts of stats get scores on that one - clearances, tackles, interceptions, crosses. It's fairly kick ass.

I played the Guardian game last year as well,I got a email on the 7th of July informing me that, "Due to a number of factors,we've taken the difficult decision that we won't be continuing this game,but we do intend to be back with something bigger and better for your gaming needs in time for next summer's World Cup Jamboree"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Hey,

Just wondering was there any money put into it last year or was it just for the craic?
    When i get a chance ill enter my team either way although im sure plenty of changes will be made right up until the big kick-off!

I've finished in the boards top ten for the last three years and 350th in the world last year.

The secret is to pick 5 top defenders, good midfield and cheap forwards that will play every game and score for the lesser teams as it doesn't matter if they lose as long as they pick up a goal or an assist.

Pick dirt cheap subs that play every game. Their value will rise- come november or december downtrade them and use the profit to upgrade your strikers to whoever is having a good season.

It's worked consistently for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Thats true about where your investing in, i would invest mainly in midfield but this year in defence also which leaves a cheap strikeforce. good system ye have there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I've genearlly gone for the 3-5-2 having a lot of good goal scoring midfielders...

I think that's what I might eventually turn back to, but your 5-3-2 sounds interesting as well...

On that, I picked this team in a 5-3-2:

G: Schwarzer

D: Baines
    D: Ferdinand
    D: Pantsil
    D: Skrtel
    D: Zhirkov

M: Lampard (C)
    M: Arteta
    M Arshavin

F: Fuller
    F: Ebanks-Blake

SUB: P Neville
    SUB: K Doyle
    SUB: B Mendy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi Lads,

Just joined there, team goes as..

Cech

Zhirkov - Ferdinand - Skrtel

Anderson - Lampard - Kompany - Mascherano

Robinho - Bent - Torres

Bench: Hart, Ilunga, Kilbane, De Ridder

Went for a strong 11 and a crap bench hoping it dont back fire:)

gavredking wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Cech

Robinho - Bent - Torres

You've got 3 midfielders in there that have scored 2 goals in English football between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

JPA wrote: »
    You've got 3 midfielders in there that have scored 2 goals in English football between them.

True, thats why i went for a stronger forward line and was between lampard or gerrard for the attacking midfielder, i believe anderson will play alot more and probaly setup more goals this year, kompany is insurance, he can play at the back to and the way things are going he might not get a game for city anyway.

Still very early in pre-season Masch could leave to meaning a re-shuffle.

G: Schwarzer

D: Baines
    D: Ferdinand
    D: Pantsil
    D: Skrtel
    D: Zhirkov

M: Lampard (C)
    M: Arteta
    M Arshavin

F: Fuller
    F: Ebanks-Blake

SUB: P Neville
    SUB: K Doyle
    SUB: B Mendy

Ferdinand's back is dodgy, better off going with Evra or Vidic if you can afford him.

Gerrard and Lampard are the same price but Gerrard is going to get more goals for you. Chelsea are more balance whereas Gerrard is almost playing in a second strikers role.

Skirtel is at risk of rotation too with Johnson coming into the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Skirtel is at risk of rotation too with Johnson coming into the side.

Skirtel is a risk because of Agger both centre backs. Arbeloa is a risk because of Johnson which both play right back.

• Advertisement

Gerrard and Lampard are the same price but Gerrard is going to get more goals for you. Chelsea are more balance whereas Gerrard is almost playing in a second strikers role.

Lampard got 10 more points than Gerrard last season.
    I think they're almost identical when it comes to this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

JPA wrote: »
    Lampard got 10 more points than Gerrard last season.
    I think they're almost identical when it comes to this game.

Could Essien coming back from Injury eat into Lampard's points this year? It just seems the Obi Mikel will sit back and allow Essien move forward with Lampard

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi Lads,

Cech

Robinho - Bent - Torres

Cech-Good choice, I have him too.
    Zhirkov-No guarantee if he will start on the opening day and if he does start in midfield, he will be competing with Joe COle and malouda for the place.
    Ferdinand- A little injury prone. Evra and Vidic are much better choices.
    Skertl- Again, no guarantees he will be a regular player
    Anderson-Even at 5.0, hes not worth it.
    Lampard- Good, but I feel Gerrard will outscore him this year.
    Kompany- Not so sure.
    Mascherano- Excellent footballer, but woeful in Fantasy Football.
    Robinho/Bent/Torres Very top heavy, sell one of Robinho/Torres and use the money to upgrade Anderson and Mascherano to 2 7.0/7.5 m attacking midfielders.

bench-not great, you need subs that will at least maintain their initial value. Hart is a good choice of sub keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

True, thats why i went for a stronger forward line and was between lampard or gerrard for the attacking midfielder, i believe anderson will play alot more and probaly setup more goals this year, kompany is insurance, he can play at the back to and the way things are going he might not get a game for city anyway.

Still very early in pre-season Masch could leave to meaning a re-shuffle.

He's also going to miss the first part of the season after an operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rethinking about my midfield maybe i might add Fellaini to it,maybe trade modric for Fellaini

actually i like this team alot

given
    Rooney----carew

Bad idea picking the yellow card machine imo. Guaranteed minus point every game, plus suspensions to follow.

2 defenders from the same team is dodgy as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bad idea picking the yellow card machine imo. Guaranteed minus point every game, plus suspensions to follow.

2 defenders from the same team is dodgy as well.

Not if they are from United/Chelsea in my opinion. Sure, you may have a week when they concede and you'll do poorly, but they will get 20+ clean sheets over the course of a season. Over the long run, they will do alot better.

Agree with Felliani though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

I would like opinions of my team

Given

vidic
    lescott
    woodgate
    cordula
    hangeland

lampard
    barry
    neville

owen or agbonlahor(which one should i pick)
    torres

Given

vidic
    lescott
    woodgate
    cordula
    hangeland

lampard
    barry
    neville

torres

Not too bad, not sure about Neville in midfield, I would go with agbonlahor up front, you can always transfer out if Owen is getting his game and scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Not too bad, not sure about Neville in midfield, I would go with agbonlahor up front, you can always transfer out if Owen is getting his game and scoring.

I went with 5 at the back because defenders give the best value and I went with 2 spurs defenders because even though spurs had a bad start last year cordluka still scored well plus with harry I think spurs will be alot better next year

• Advertisement

Given

vidic
    lescott
    woodgate
    cordula
    hangeland

lampard
    barry
    neville

torres
    Imo Vidic at 8.0 is far too much when you can get Evra at 6.5, or Carra at 7.0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement