Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fantasy Football 2009/2010 (MOD NOTE - POST #2151)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bad idea picking the yellow card machine imo. Guaranteed minus point every game, plus suspensions to follow.

+1

Pienar got more points last year despite less goals (more assists though) because he picked up less cards.

My first draft teams:

Given

Baines
    O'Shea
    Corluka

Nevilla
    Barry
    Arshavin (c)
    Kuyt
    Petrov

Robinho
    Defoe

subs:

Jaaskelainen
    Samba
    Figueroa
    Doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Anyone want to recommend me a 5M or less midfielder other than Neville or Mendy?

Actually where can you check up your teams final score for the previous season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

aaronh007 wrote: »
    The first draft of Aaron's Red Barons. More than likely will change one or two

T. Howard

A. Hughes
    S. Warnock
    L. Baines
    Y. Zhirkov

S. Gerrard (C)
    P. Neville
    L. Modric
    S. Nasri

F. Torres
    S. Ebanks-Blake

Subs:
    R. Green
    R. Shawcross
    R. Gardner
    B. Zamora

Already made 10's of changes. And still kept changing.

Basically new team is

T. Howard

B. Hangeland
    Y. Zhirkov
    L. Baines

S. Gerrard
    D. Murphy
    L. Modric
    P. Neville

F. Torres (C)
    S. Ebanks-Blake
    G Agbonlahor.

Subs:
    T. Sorensen
    K. Zayatte
    A. Dawson.
    B. Mendy

Basically I have a completely Sh1te bench but I feel the 1st team is pretty decent, and I also have £1.5M to spare in case of injuries and such so that I can replace with good quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

tribulus wrote: »
    Anyone want to recommend me a 5M or less midfielder other than Neville or Mendy?

Actually where can you check up your teams final score for the previous season?

Neville is a brilliant midfielder. He gets a very good amount of points.

Huddlestone might be a good bet also. He might also be on the move this season so will probably get a few more games if he does.

Mikel would also be a good bet considering he's starting to cut out the cards and needless fouls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Lampard got 10 more points than Gerrard last season.
    I think they're almost identical when it comes to this game.

You think wrong.

Minutes played

Lampard 3256
    Gerrard 2623

Nuff said.
    Given

vidic
    lescott
    woodgate
    cordula
    hangeland

lampard
    barry
    neville

owen or agbonlahor(which one should i pick)
    torres

You're weak at the back. I'm not buying Torres because he is overvalued for such a horribly injury prone player- Anelka is a better buy imo. Owen is going to be a super sub- don't expect starts and you need consistent players in this game. Barry is an unknown quantity at Man City who still haven't done anything about their defence but I think he'll be in a defensive midfield role which will bring down his assists unless he's taking free kicks and penos which I doubt with Robhino on that team. Neville just hasn't the legs any more. I'd bring in Arteta for Barry- swap lampard for Gerrard, drop Owen for Cole which will free up some cash for the back. Given is a 50/50- you just don't know how consistent city are going to be on the road this year which was their problem last year- you could buy two cheap keepers and rotate depending on fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

work in progress haha:

1: Schwarzer
    2: Evra
    3: Hangeland
    4: Bosingwa
    5: Faye Ab
    Baines
    6: Ireland
    7: Arshavin (C)
    8: Gerrard
    9: Delap
    10: Fagan
    11: Beattie
    ====================
    12: Jaaskelainen
    13: Geovanni
    14: Fagan
    15: Murphy

I decided Lampard is a bit of a gamble at his price, because he will be 32 soon.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Cech
    Sorensen

Zhirkov
    Evra
    Insua
    A. Faye
    O'Shea

Arshavin
    Gerrard
    Milner
    Anderson
    Boa Morte

Carew
    Fuller
    Ebanks-Blake

I have changed, altered etc etc with my team at least a dozen times already and will continue to do so until the 1st Gameweek :pac:

Okay hang on here

Man Utd
    Game 1: Birmingham
    Game 2: Burnley
    Game 3: Wigan
    Game 4: ARSENAL
    Game 5: Tottenham

Chelsea
    Game 1: Hull
    Game 2: Sunderland
    Game 3: Fulham
    Game 4: Burnley
    Game 5: Stoke

Liverpool
    Game 1: Tottenham
    Game 2: Stoke
    Game 3: Villa
    Game 4: Bolton
    Game 5: Burnley

Arsenal
    Game 1: Everton
    Game 2: NO GAME
    Game 3: Pompey
    Game 4: MAN UTD
    Game 5: Man City

So from a points perspective- Man Utd and Chelsea have an easy opening three games- chelsea have an easy opening 5- Arsenal have a nightmare with Utd and a Bye.

Liverpool have a run of games they should win,

Therefore best returns are Chelsea, United, Liverpool in that order.

Also unused transfers carry over so you can transfer 5 players in week 5 if you wish- on the back of that I'm ditching Ardshavan and C. Cole- they'll come good later but warming the bye week and then playing United AWAY after a game out and a tough pompey game. Not worth investing in Arsenal till after week 4 imo.

So my revised line up that should see me through till week 4 or that

3: Cole A
    4: Carragher
    5: Ferdinand (dodgy back and all)
    6: Arbeloa (until we see the shape of preseason)

7: Gerrard
    8: Valencia

9: Anelka (C)
    10: Beattie
    11: Doyle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

How the feck do you change formation?

Never mind figured it out.

Changed my team.

now looks like this.

1: Given

2: Cole A
    3: Evra
    4: Lescott

5: Ireland(C)
    6: Young A
    7: Cattermole
    8: Fletcher
    9: Arteta

10: Agbonlahor
    11: Keane

12: Sorensen
    13: Bridge
    14: Doyle
    15: Warnock

reckon Fletcher will start a lot of games for UTD next season, or atleast untill Hargreeves gets back, thin swapping Cole for the russian fella was good move and freed up .5, swapping torress for gabby saved me a fair but too.

still think bridge at that price is too good to turn down, added arteta, young and alonso to the midfeild too and now have warnock instead of foley on the bench.

Just sub in and out i.e sub in a defender for a midfielder if you want to play 5 at the back and hit save.

A lot of people best look at the fixtures for gameweek two- no everton west ham arsenal for starters- lots of people around here posting teams will be down 3/4 first team players if they are not carefull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Barry is an unknown quantity at Man City who still haven't done anything about their defence but I think he'll be in a defensive midfield role which will bring down his assists unless he's taking free kicks and penos which I doubt with Robhino on that team.

Wrong I'm afraid. Robinho took one penalty last year and missed it. Elano takes them and he has a 100% record. If he isn't playing it will be up for grabs and Barry will get the nod. Robinho is also crap at free kicks, barring the one on his debut, and rarely, if ever, takes them. Barry will be involved in most of our set pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

pwd wrote: »
    work in progress haha:

Baines
    ====================

I decided Lampard is a bit of a gamble at his price, because he will be 32 soon.

You sneaky devil! 12 players starting! Did you think someone wouldn't notice?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Any opinions on my team?

Schwarzer

Zayatte
    Hangeland
    Bramble
    Evra
    Baines

Pienaar
    Gerrard
    Neville
    Lampard (c)

Torres

Bench:
    Hart
    Ebanks-Blake
    Doyle
    Muamba

I'm thinking of bringing in rooney for torres, and then using the .5 left over on my midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Also unused transfers carry over so you can transfer 5 players in week 5 if you wish

Don't think thats true, I think the transfers only carry over from one week and don't accumulate

From the Rules section of the site:

"If you don't use your free transfer then you'll be able to make an additional free transfer the following gameweek. These saved transfers don't accumulate and can only be used the following gameweek."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Neville is a brilliant midfielder. He gets a very good amount of points.
    Huddlestone might be a good bet also. He might also be on the move this season so will probably get a few more games if he does.

Mikel would also be a good bet considering he's starting to cut out the cards and needless fouls

The reason Neville has got points the past few seasons is beacuse he was classified as a defender. This year he is classified as a midfielder so will get fcuk all points this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

You sneaky devil! 12 players starting! Did you think someone wouldn't notice?!

lol :D

Baines
    ====================

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Told myself I wouldn't make a team until closer to the beginning of the season but feck it, been a long morning.

James

Evra
    Carragher
    Hangeland
    Corluka
    Cole A

Valencia
    Lampard (c)
    Arteta

Cole
    Ebanks-Blake

Subs: Hart, Dempsey, Pienaar, Jerome

I'm just wondering would it be better to slightly weaken the bench and invest a little more into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

You think wrong.

Minutes played

Lampard 3256
    Gerrard 2623

Nuff said.

That is minutes played... not points... nuff said ;)
    Also unused transfers carry over so you can transfer 5 players in week 5 if you wish- on the back of that I'm ditching Ardshavan and C. Cole- they'll come good later but warming the bye week and then playing United AWAY after a game out and a tough pompey game. Not worth investing in Arsenal till after week 4 imo.
    Jugs82 wrote: »
    Don't think thats true, I think the transfers only carry over from one week and don't accumulate

From the Rules section of the site:

"If you don't use your free transfer then you'll be able to make an additional free transfer the following gameweek. These saved transfers don't accumulate and can only be used the following gameweek."

I read the rules wrong then off the start of this thread.
    That is minutes played... not points... nuff said

I hope you're joking?

Lampard played 600 minutes more of football last year and only outscored Gerrard by ten points.

If Gerrard stays injury free he'll destroy Lampard points wise as he did two seasons ago- it's mad they are even the same price.

I hope you're joking?

Lampard played 600 minutes more of football last year and only outscored Gerrard by ten points.

If Gerrard stays injury free he'll destroy Lampard points wise as he did two seasons ago- it's mad they are even the same price.

IF.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

I read the rules wrong then off the start of this thread.

I hope you're joking?

Key word that if.

Lampard is always fit. He always plays he has the stamina of a beast.

I agree Gerrard is probably better value but i certainly wouldn't be having a go at anyone that picks Lampard.

Too slow.:(

You're arguing a moot point. Hold on here.

Lampard just turned 32

Gerrard just turned 29.

IF anyone is likely for injury it's Lamps. But sure- you work away mate. I've no problem people throwing points away. More for me.

Gerrard WILL outscore Lampard. End of.

Lampard just turned 32

Gerrard just turned 29.

IF anyone is likely for injury it's Lamps. But sure- you work away mate. I've no problem people throwing points away. More for me.

How many injuries and games has Lampard missed in his career so far in comparision to Gerrard? Lampard is one of the fittest players i've ever seen play and again proved so last season with the amount of milage he clocked up.

If Gerrard stays fit then he will but that's a big if.

Lampard only played 24 league games in 07/08 due to injury.

Gerrard has never played less than 30 though.

He's not invincible- he is a magnificant FF player but if you cannot afford both him and Gerrard Gerrard is young, fitter and will get you more points on average per game played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That is minutes played... not points... nuff said ;)
    IF.....

Am actually torn between the two myself.

I ended up choosing Gerard on the logic that he was replaced by a sub for the 7 games or so that he missed last season. The sub that replaced him in those 7 games, if chosen correctly, would have got well over a total of 10 points for those games.

So, if you take the points collected by Gerard plus sub for 3200 minutes of football, you would have more than likely come out with more points that Lampard got in 3200 mins of football.

Am not talking about an expensive sub either. I am talking about someone like Geovanni, Delap, Piennar, Dempsey, Murphy, Hangeland, Hughes, Pantsil, Baines, Corluka, Evans, Fuller, Beattie and countless others that cost between 5 and 6 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Given

Hangelaad----Ferdinand
    Skrtel
    Warnock-

Lampard----Arshavin----Pienaar----Dempsey

Torres
    Doyle

Subs : Hart, Dawson , Jerome, Anderson.

Happy enough with that atm, will likely change a bit though before start of the season, any views on this team?

Lampard just turned 32

Gerrard just turned 29.

Lampard only turned 31 in June. Give the guy a break... :)

Its only 2 years in difference and Gerrard is definitely the more injury prone of the two.

It really depends who is in form. Lampard always gets bonus points.. Always a good bet to have as captain.

Gerrard is good to have in the team when he is scoring goals. He tends to go through patches of scoring a lot and then more barren periods.. This is when I'd have him in the team. Other than that you have to go for Lampard.
    Am actually torn between the two myself.

I ended up choosing Gerard on the logic that he was replaced by a sub for the 7 games or so that he missed last season. The sub that replaced him in those 7 games, if chosen correctly, would have got well over a total of 10 points for those games.

So, if you take the points collected by Gerard plus sub for 3200 minutes of football, you would have more than likely come out with more points that Lampard got in 3200 mins of football.

Fair point, but gerrard's points seem to be bunched together in a run of games.. whereas lampard is a consistent scorer of points every week.

Over the season they are pretty much equal, but we all know that winning is about having the form players in the team every week.

Over the past 3 seasons they are actually like for like.

Lampard 33 goals in PL (577 fantasy points)
    Gerrard 34 goals in PL (596 fantasy points)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Smegball wrote: »

Given

Hangelaad----Ferdinand
    Skrtel
    Warnock-

Lampard----Arshavin----Pienaar----Dempsey

Torres
    Doyle

Subs : Hart, Dawson , Jerome, Anderson.

Happy enough with that atm, will likely change a bit though before start of the season, any views on this team?

Very decent side there. I personally would have Gerrard over Lampard. I'd ditch Anderson for a 4.5 million midfielder from Birmingham and use the 0.5 to get Evra from United instead of Skrtel as he is far more likely to start and keep clean sheets.

One thing though, you will struggle on gameweek 2 as quite a few of your players wont be playing.

If Adebayor goes to City, Arshavin could be the new Ronaldo of FF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Reina

Hangelaad ---- Evra
    Skrtel
    Sagna

Gerrard----Cahill----Murphy----Young
    Neville --

Defoe

Subs : Hart, Turner , Doyle, Fletcher.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Excellent..missed out on the boards one last so looking forward to this

The team at the minute is..*edit changed it again based on Adebyors move going through

Given

Lescott
    Vidic
    Hughes
    Corluka

Modric
    Gerrard(C)----Ireland
    Taylor

Ebanks-Blake
    Adebayor

Subs
    Harte
    Mendy
    Zayatte
    Cresswell

Future Guy im gunning for you!! :D

Fair point, but gerrard's points seem to be bunched together in a run of games.. whereas lampard is a consistent scorer of points every week.

Over the season they are pretty much equal, but we all know that winning is about having the form players in the team every week.

Over the past 3 seasons they are actually like for like.

Lampard 33 goals in PL (577 fantasy points)
    Gerrard 34 goals in PL (596 fantasy points)

Would they naturally not appear more bunched together due to the fact that Gerrard played nearly 20% less football that Lampard and only scored 5% less points.

It's obviously a difficult choice but I think Gerrard makes slightly more sense at the moment. For the moment, the only real reason that I am considering choosing Lampard over Gerrard is down to the fact that I have Torres and would prefer to spread the risk a bit between the top clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

Would they naturally not appear more bunched together due to the fact that Gerrard played nearly 20% less football that Lampard and only scored 5% less points.

It's obviously a difficult choice but I think Gerrard makes slightly more sense at the moment. For the moment, the only real reason that I am considering choosing Lampard over Gerrard is down to the fact that I have Torres and would prefer to spread the risk a bit between the top clubs.

Thats not true - as another user posted Lampard was injured for long periods in the 07/08 season. I dont know where you getting your facts with Gerrard having played less than 20% more football. Do a wiki on both players and you will see that in the past seasons.....
    Gerrard - 100 games
    Lampard - 98 games

Both players are as good as each other if u ask me! I tend to favour Gerrard this season just because he'l be playing more up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

GIVEN
    Hangeland figueroa assou-ekotto Distin

Ireland(C) Young Modric Arteta

Davies Defoe

SUBS: Schwarzer, warnock, pienaar, carew

jamesozzie wrote: »
    Thats not true - as another user posted Lampard was injured for long periods in the 07/08 season. I dont know where you getting your facts with Gerrard having played less than 20% more football. Do a wiki on both players and you will see that in the past seasons.....
    Gerrard - 100 games
    Lampard - 98 games

Both players are as good as each other if u ask me! I tend to favour Gerrard this season just because he'l be playing more up front

What? I think you have misunderstood something. I wasn't talking about the last 3 seasons. I was talking about the amount of minutes player last season. Go up a few posts and you should be able to clear it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Axwell wrote: »
    Future Guy im gunning for you!! :D

Not with that team, you're not!!! *

*OK maybe you are, but I'll still thump you with my superior intellect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

Sorensen

---Evra---Cahill----Zhirkov

Barry--Valencia--Gerrard--Taylor

--Campbell--EbanksBlake--Torres

subs: hart, hughes, anderdson, ridgewell

will propably swap out anderson and valencia after week 2 for jimenez and arteta

what ye reckon? trying to take week 2 into consideration

changed my team... again...

2: Ashely Cole
    4: Bridge

5: Ireland
    6 Ashley Young
    7: Cattermole
    8: Fletcher
    9: Arshavin

10: Keane
    11: Agbonlahor

Subs:
    GK: Sorensen
    DF: Corluka
    DF: Bramble
    FW: Doyle.

now before anybody goes crazy at the bramble inclusion. his points scored for money paid ratio is in the top 3, so if he has in any way as good a season as last year he will do well, Corluka is a lot cheaper than lescott and i bumped bridge who will play every game, this lets me add Arshavin to my midfeild AND make him captain, which is always nice.

I'm thinking of dropping either Keane or Gabby for a player valued around 6 and upgrade a midfeilder.

what ya think lads?

I like the idea of picking 3 wingbacks.. Makes quite a lot of sense.

I wouldn't be making any excuses for picking Bramble either tbh.

Not quite sure what Cattermole or Fletcher would offer in terms of points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm thinking of dropping either Keane or Gabby for a player valued around 6 and upgrade a midfeilder.

what ya think lads?

Personally I would yeah. Gaby out for Beattie or something like that and use the extra 2.5 elsewhere imo (perhaps Cattermole out Lennon/Modric in?).

• Advertisement

I like the idea of picking 3 wingbacks.. Makes quite a lot of sense.

I wouldn't be making any excuses for picking Bramble either tbh.

Not quite sure what Cattermole or Fletcher would offer in terms of points though.

Yeah, thats why im thinking of downgrading the strikers and addding a more creative/goal scoring midfeild player.

Was think that with fletcher playing most games till hargreaves gets back they eh will clock up a good few points?

Also, Cattermole scored 86 last year so at 5 he isnt too bad?

I just swapped Cattermole for Dempsey, Fletcher for Modric and Keane and Gabby for Crouch and Beatie...

So the Team is now

2: Ashely Cole
    4: Bridge

5: Ireland
    6: Ashley Young
    7: Dempsey
    8: Modric
    9: Arshavin

10: Beatie
    11: Crouch

Subs:
    GK: Sorensen
    DF: Corluka
    DF: Bramble
    FW: Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

What are people making of O'Shea at 5.5? It seems a bargain, but then again can't be guaranteed he would start. United fans especially, what are your opinions? surely JOS is number one right-back at the moment and therefore 5.5 is a great price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

My temporary LFCXTRM team at the moment, which wil surely change before the start of the season:

1: Reina
    2: Neville
    3: O'Shea
    4: Terry
    5: Brown
    6: Richardson
    7: Geovanni
    8: Kuyt
    9: Young A
    10: Kanu
    11: Torres (C)

13: Corluka
    14: Utaka
    15: Johnson A

No offence but that has to be the weakest side I've seen so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Picked the following for now;

sorenson

Hangelaad ----
    o shea ----
    a. cole

lampard----carrick----dempsey----kuyt
    s. reid --

owen
    drogba

subs; schwarzer, murphy(sun/hull), zayette, dawson

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Wouldnt bet on 2 of your Man Utd players starting many games (O' Shea and Owen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Seaneh wrote: »
    No offence but that has to be the weakest side I've seen so far...

Now you see why I called it a "temporary" side that will "surely change" before the season starts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Axwell wrote: »
    Wouldnt bet on 2 of your Man Utd players starting many games (O' Shea and Owen)

I know its dodgy but thinking he will give Owen a shout there as its birmingham and burnley up 1st for them. Will have good idea, closer the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

No Superman Utd provisional team:

Given

Evra
    Hangeland
    Baines

Lampard
    Dempsey
    Pienaar
    Arshavin

Beattie
    Rooney
    Doyle

Subs:
    Hart
    Ridgewell
    Shawcross
    McSheffrey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Modric or Essien? atm I have Modric I'm still 50/50.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement