Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fantasy Football 2009/2010 (MOD NOTE - POST #2151)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Thanks thanks thanks, that's all good stuff! Owen's out til, as you say, we see more concretely what his role will be.. I had Nani in because I thought he might actually play a much more central role for United next season, but that's complete speculation on my behalf! Neville is soon to be out of my team, probably Mikel too..
    At least with United's Asia pre-season we might see how the Owen, Nani, Valencia etc. situations could pan out before losing points over it :)

Thanks again for the advice!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Get rid of Neville, he only scored so many points last year because he was a defender. He is a midfielder this year so no clean sheet bonus.

Get rid of Nani. I have a feeling he will get his game for United more often this year, but not enough to warrant inclusion into my FF team.

The 3 changes you have already made will help you tremendously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Anyone even contemplating picking Owen is either braindead or a fanatical Utd fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sorenson

Hangeland
    Samba
    Steinsson
    Evra

Arshavin
    Lampard
    Larsson
    Modric

Berbatov
    Anbonlahor

Hart
    Shawcross
    Kightly
    Ebanks-Blake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

I'm really tempted to change my team to this:

GK:Gomes (or Green maybe)

DF:Woodgate
    DF:Warnock (or Ledley King or Gary Cahill)
    DF:Faye Ab

MD:Gerrard
    MD:Arshavin
    MD:Lampard
    MD:Jimenez (or Neville)
    MD:Malbranque

FW:Torres
    FW:Ebanks-Blake

Subs:Sorensen, McShane, Zayette, Murphy.

But I probably will change Faye Ab for Anton Ferdinand once Murphy goes to Hull, already 3 Sunderland players! I think Bruce will do wonders for them and from that 4-2 win last night I think they'll be class this season, the new Fulham I reckon!
    So is this team good enough then or should I improve the defence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

My biggest fault has always been picking cheap subs that won't get their game. You'll get the likes of Foley and Caldwell who are guaranteed a game for the same price as McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm really tempted to change my team to this:

GK:Gomes (or Green maybe)

DF:Woodgate
    DF:Warnock (or Ledley King or Gary Cahill)
    DF:Faye Ab

MD:Gerrard
    MD:Arshavin
    MD:Lampard
    MD:Jimenez (or Neville)
    MD:Malbranque

FW:Torres
    FW:Ebanks-Blake

Subs:Sorensen, McShane, Zayette, Murphy.

But I probably will change Faye Ab for Anton Ferdinand once Murphy goes to Hull, already 3 Sunderland players! I think Bruce will do wonders for them and from that 4-2 win last night I think they'll be class this season, the new Fulham I reckon!

Who does Jimenez play for?

That's a very good team but is it wise to have both Torres and Gerrard? I'd generally go for one or the other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You have a keeper and defender from the same team, leaves you open to losing valaubale points from not getting clean cheats especially when they not one of the big 4. Better to have them from different teams and increase your chances of a clean sheet.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Who does Jimenez play for?

He's on loan from Inter, he plays for West Ham at the moment, he's pretty good from the two games I saw him play for Inter and is obviously going to be 1st team for West Ham!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Given Hart
    Sagna Skrtel Evra Hangeland Zhirkov
    Cahill Gerrard Young A Jimenez Davies
    Doyle Keogh Defoe

I think Zhirkov could be a great signing I know he's expensive for a defender at 7.5 but I've a feeling he'll play as more of a winger with Chelsea so he should get more from Assists/Goals as well as picking up the clean sheet bonus!

• Advertisement

Joe Cole will miss the start of the season so it's likely Zhirkov will get an early chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There's no way Zhirkov will displace A. Cole, he has to be seen as a winger.
    He could be a very good player, they call him the Russian Ronaldinho.
    I think it's a compliment. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

JPA wrote: »
    There's no way Zhirkov will displace A. Cole, he has to be seen as a winger.
    He could be a very good player, they call him the Russian Ronaldinho.
    I think it's a compliment. :pac:

I think Joe Cole's days at Chelsea are numbered to be honest. Ashley Cole will remain at left full back and Zhirkov could fill in there but I think he's going to be a more attacking signing than a defensive one

slingerz wrote: »
    I think Joe Cole's days at Chelsea are numbered to be honest.
    He was their player of the year the season before last. Injured all last season.

I think Joe Cole's days at Chelsea are numbered to be honest. Ashley Cole will remain at left full back and Zhirkov could fill in there but I think he's going to be a more attacking signing than a defensive one

I wouldn't say numbered but his injuries hold him back a lot.
    If Ancellotti wanted he could use him in a central position, "in the hole".
    That's a bit OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

eirebhoy wrote: »
    My biggest fault has always been picking cheap subs that won't get their game. You'll get the likes of Foley and Caldwell who are guaranteed a game for the same price as McShane.

Yeah it's all about having the cheapest possible subs who will get you 2 points if called upon, however this year I'm making an exception for Jack Rodwell. He's only 4.5 and I think this might be his breakthrough year, if it doesn't happen then players like Foley will come of the bench for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Work in progress;

Given
    Kirkland

G. Johnson
    Samba
    M. Richards
    Hangeland
    A. Ferdinand

A. Young
    Arshavin
    Kightly
    D. Murphy
    Palacios

Torres
    Tevez
    C. Jerome

I think Zhirkov could be a great signing I know he's expensive for a defender at 7.5 but I've a feeling he'll play as more of a winger with Chelsea so he should get more from Assists/Goals as well as picking up the clean sheet bonus!

I had Zhirkov on my team up until Ancellotti came out and said that Terry, Lampard and Joe Cole are his 1st team key players, so with Joe Cole and Malouda out the left he isn't likely to get loads of starts so I decided to get rid of him! I don't know though, he said that after the whole Terry and City thing! But still..... too much competition me thinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

J. Cole is out for the start of the season..

Have my eye on Crouch atm but am waiting to see where he moves too. I reckon he do pretty well at Fulham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Get rid of Neville, he only scored so many points last year because he was a defender. He is a midfielder this year so no clean sheet bonus.

Get rid of Nani. I have a feeling he will get his game for United more often this year, but not enough to warrant inclusion into my FF team.

The 3 changes you have already made will help you tremendously.

What about Fellaini in for Nani? I wonder how he'll fare this season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

When was the last time Joe Cole played on the left with for Chelsea for a remotely consistant amount of time? I can't remember it myself. I generally remember him only cutting in from the right all the time.

As for Zhirkov. I am not quite sure what to make of him myself. Has he been signed as a wing/full back to compete with Ashley Cole or has he been signed as a left winger?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭seandugg

5.5 to spend on a sub striker...any recommendations?

Doyle and Zamora already selected.

Whats the verdict on bendter for 6.5 million? could stretch to that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

doonothing wrote: »
    What about Fellaini in for Nani? I wonder how he'll fare this season..
    No to Fellaini, he's a yellow card machine.

seandugg wrote: »
    5.5 to spend on a sub striker...any recommendations?

Doyle and Zamora already selected.

Whats the verdict on bendter for 6.5 million? could stretch to that.

If you can afford it I would just go the extra 1M and get Crouch for 7.5. Wherever he ends up he'll get you goals as well as assists.

Ebanks Blake might worth a punt at 5.5.

do you think Doyle and Ebanks-blake be a bad move on the same squad?

Crouch is only .5 cheaper than Vidic? cant justify changing the team up that much for Crouchy dont think he's worth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Some questions for those in the know.

- I want really good defenders. Anyone think Man City's defenders are worth a punt? Due to their inability to keep a clean sheet last year, they're mad cheap. Richards for 5.5 seems nice. Also, will Rafael start for Man U or will Brown go straight back in? if Rafael gets his game, 5.5 is amazing value.

- Secondly, who's a second good cheap striker after Ebanks-Blake? Want someone who's guaranteed to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

gosplan wrote: »
    - Secondly, who's a second good cheap striker after Ebanks-Blake? Want someone who's guaranteed to start.

Frazier Campbell at 6.0 could be worth a punt. I expect an improved Sunderland side under Steve Bruce and Campbell is a good goal-scoring striker. For that price he may be worth a risk. Sunderland's opening fixtures are quite attractive too.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Frazier Campbell at 6.0 could be worth a punt. I expect an improved Sunderland side under Steve Bruce and Campbell is a good goal-scoring striker. For that price he may be worth a risk. Sunderland's opening fixtures are quite attractive too.

Is he guaranteed a game with Crouch and Jones in the squad though?

Crouch hasn't signed for anyone, more likely he will sign for Fulham or Spurs.

Well if Crouch signs then yes, Campbell would be a poor signing. At the moment I see him as a starter ahead of what they have.

I suppose its the same as a lot of things with FF. No one is going to have a complete team at this stage as there still should be some transfers to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Agh first time doing this. **** defence (**** everything really)

Cech
    -- Traore -- Melchiot -- Vidic -- Faye ab
    -- Young --Anderson -- Alonso -- Mascherano
    Torres -- Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

miralize wrote: »
    Agh first time doing this. **** defence (**** everything really)

Cech
    -- Traore -- Melchiot -- Vidic -- Faye ab
    -- Young --Anderson -- Alonso -- Mascherano
    Torres -- Owen

Ah sure we all have to start somewhere. A good rule of thumb that a lot of people tend to follow (me included) is to ensure you have at least 3 players out of your defence and goalkeeper who are from top 4 sides. This will give you a solid base.

With regards to midfielders, try to avoid the defensive minded players such as Anderson and Mascherano as they don't tend to score well and can lose you points through bookings. For midfielders, players who will get you goals and/or assists are the main priority.

As for strikers, look for players that are likely to get their game. I'd say Owen is a bit risky as he's at risk of rotation and would be unlikely to make 30+ games.

A good rule of thumb that a lot of people tend to follow (me included) is to ensure you have at least 3 players out of your defence and goalkeeper who are from top 4 sides. This will give you a solid base.

This doesnt necessarily hold true, if you look at last years points out of the top 10 defenders half were from the top 4..the other 5 werent, and that includes 3 of those 5 being from chelsea.

Same for keepers out of the top 5 points for keepers only 3 are from the top 4 teams and the leading one was Schwarzer from Fulham..bonus points are awarded to keepers for making saves..a keeper with a great defence in front of him doesnt get many bonus points..but a clean sheet gets both him and the defenders 6 points in total for not conceeding and playing at least 60 mins.

As regards Owen hes on a pay as you play scheme, hes unlikely to start that many matches and his value is money wasted considering the better options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Axwell wrote: »
    This doesnt necessarily hold true, if you look at last years points out of the top 10 defenders half were from the top 4..the other 5 werent, and that includes 3 of those 5 being from chelsea.

But if we take the top 5 defenders, 3 of them were from top 4 sides. A lot of Fulham players made the top 10 based on a terrific defensive record but it remains to be seen whether or not that can continue. It's fair to say though that the likes of Vidic, Carragher and Cole etc. will continue to be up there at the top next season. I'd rather go the safe route and stick with established names.
    Axwell wrote:
    Same for keepers out of the top 5 points for keepers only 3 are from the top 4 teams and the leading one was Schwarzer from Fulham..bonus points are awarded to keepers for making saves..a keeper with a great defence in front of him doesnt get many bonus points..but a clean sheet gets both him and the defenders 6 points in total for not conceeding and playing at least 60 mins.

3 out of 5 is pretty reliable I would say. I have been looking into this area myself and in my opinion it's risky to go for a goalkeeper for saves rather than for clean sheets...

Top 10 keepers last season:

Schwarzer - 175
    Cech - 171
    Reina - 169
    Howard - 159
    VDS - 155
    Green - 148
    Given - 144
    Almunia - 144
    Sorensen - 143
    Jaaskelinen - 140

Looking at the above, while Schwarzer's points through saves helped him top the charts, the other top points earners via saves were at the bottom end of the scale (Jaaskelinen, Sorensen, Given). Three of the top 4 keepers meanwhile, who got most of their points via clean sheets, made the top 5.

My conclusion then is that while going for a keeper in the hope of getting points through saves can work out well as it did with Schwarzer last season, ultimately it's safer to go for a top 4 keeper.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Obviously we can look at things from tons of different perspectives which is what makes this game awesome. :)

All very true but you spend a lot of money kitting out your team with a top 4 goalie and 3 defenders meaning the rest of your team is made up of stoke and birmingham players :D

I'm with Mr. Nice Guy on this one. It's the conservative approach, but the sensible one. Yes there probably will be some high scoring defenders/goalkeepers from outside the top 4, but at this stage it's a bit of a guessing game. I think its worth the extra 2.0 or so for guaranteed points.

Also players like A.Cole, Ferdinand, Skrtel, Evra etc.. would have been way further up the list had it not been for injuries, thus they all represent good value now I feel. And if they are injured again you can just straight swap them with Evans etc.. and have a little cash left over.

Teams like Wigan and Fulham were good for clean sheets this year but it's likely enough to be a different couple of weaker teams that come out well this year. And as I said this is hard to predict. Whereas we can all be pretty sure that Chelsea, United and Liverpool will be keeping their fair share of clean sheets. For example, I think it was David James that was the big points scoring goalie the season before last, whereas last season he faded away. And this year it was Schwazer. But both years Reina was right up there with them, and will be again this year.

Also for Goalkeepers its worth remembering they get minus points for goals conceded.

Its about finding a happy medium across the whole team, you cant have top 4 players in every position you have to cut corners here and there and find that player thats going to get you max points for minimum price, the Fulham players did that last year so its now the time to find the new Fulham. Having them in your team last year meant you could splash out a bit extra up front or in the middle which makes all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Few changes to my team, and likely a few more to come but for the moment

Schwarzer

Evra
    Zhirkov
    Hughes
    Baines
    Carragher

Lampard(c)
    Gerrard
    N'Zogbia

Cole
    Ebanks Blake

Subs: Sorensen, Andrews, Muamba, Benitez(could be removed depending on injury)

Happy enough with the team, all subs should play and could be useful.

Opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Changed my team all over again, thoughts?

Given

Agger
    Evra
    Bridge
    Gerrard
    Modric
    Petrov
    Arteta
    Cole
    Torres
    Ebanks

Not my best draft, but it ain't bad. Obviously question marks over Agger and his playing time.

Zhirkov will be interesting as its not known if hes going to start or where, id say he will be playing left wing instead of left back with Joe cole still out so its between him and Malouda for that position. If he does play he will be like philip neville last season playing in the midfield but getting a clean sheet bonus as hes down as a defender, but the thing is will he start every if many games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

@ Axwell

I have zhirkov too, and a few people have said its a risk as we dont know if he'll start... i put my thinking cap on and realised the charity shield a week before the big kickoff will give us an idea... it will b interesting what side both teams will put out.. id imagine it will be strong line-ups

As I asked yesterday..
    When was the last time Joe Cole played on the left with for Chelsea for a remotely consistant amount of time? I can't remember it myself. I generally remember him only cutting in from the right all the time.

Well he did his knee in back in January and hasnt played since so that would explain you not seeing him playing on the left and cutting in anywhere :D

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Changed my team all over again, thoughts?

Given

Agger
    Evra
    Bridge
    Gerrard
    Modric
    Petrov
    Arteta
    Cole
    Torres
    Ebanks

Not my best draft, but it ain't bad. Obviously question marks over Agger and his playing time.

If Agger manages to nail down a regular starting place, then that is a finely balanced team with quality throughout.

I thought Cole always played on the left JTG. That's his best position by far (while being allowed to drift inside all the time) and where Ancellotti will play him.

Axwell wrote: »
    Well he did his knee in back in January and hasnt played since so that would explain you not seeing him playing on the left and cutting in anywhere :D

Before he was injured..
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    If Agger manages to nail down a regular starting place, then that is a finely balanced team with quality throughout.

Agger is injured. Even if he is fit again before the new season, I would quite confident that Skrtel will start as he will have had a full pre-season.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I thought Cole always played on the left JTG. That's his best position by far and where Ancellotti will play him.

I am not saying that he won't or can't. I just can't remember the last time he played there. I always remember him being deployed on the right wing in recent seasons.

Think about this way, they have Malouda and Zhirkov on the left wing. Who do they have for the right wing?

I think I am going to settle with this team:

Cech
    Corluka
    Hangeland
    Skrtel
    Evra
    Gerrard
    Jiminez
    Lampard

Beattie
    Torres
    Doyle

Subs: Sorenson, Muamba, Edwards, Zayatte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

So Cole is going to pretty much miss all of pre-season - from the report below he's not going to be start back training until the season has started.

"We expect Cole to return to full training in approximately one month," said a statement on Chelsea's website.

After being out for 8 months it's going to take him a few weeks to get his fitness and sharpness back, so he might not even be in contention for a spot until a couple of weeks into the season.

At the moment I'm assuming that A. Cole is going to be 1st choice at LB.
    If Zhirkov is as good as reported, I would expect him to get the LW spot ahead of Kalou at least initially. A lot will depend on how Zhirkov performs in pre-season and with the chances he gets. After that it could well be a case of Cole and Zhirkov rotating. I'd say keep an eye on how things look in pre-season to see who Ancelloti uses on the left
    Cole hit by fresh injury setback

Cole provides Chelsea with a creative spark
    Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole has suffered a setback to his comeback from injury and will miss the club's pre-season tour of the United States.

A cruciate knee ligament injury in January ruled 27-year-old Cole out for the rest of the 2008/2009 season.

He recently returned to training but suffered a small tear to his meniscus in the knee and has undergone surgery.

"We expect Cole to return to full training in approximately one month," said a statement on Chelsea's website.

Chelsea called the blow a "minor setback" but it will prove further frustration for Cole and the Stamford Bridge outfit.

The playmaker provides Chelsea with a creative spark while he will also be eager to return to the first-team and force his way back into the England team ahead of the 2010 World Cup finals.

Chelsea will leave for the US on Thursday and will play four matches on the trip, starting with a match against Seattle Sounders on Saturday, 18 July.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8153914.stm

• Advertisement

What are the thoughts on Glen Johnson at 7.5? I brought him in because I thought he might get a good few clean sheets as well as assists, but it's still awfully expensive for a defender.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement