Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fantasy Football 2009/2010 (MOD NOTE - POST #2151)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    What are the thoughts on Glen Johnson at 7.5? I brought him in because I thought he might get a good few clean sheets as well as assists, but it's still awfully expensive for a defender.
    I'd say he's worth it. Playing on the same side as Kuyt he'll be given plenty of freedom to attack. He should be favourite to head the assist charts for defenders and Liverpool are guaranteed plenty of clean sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'd say he's worth it. Playing on the same side as Kuyt he'll be given plenty of freedom to attack. He should be favourite to head the assist charts for defenders and Liverpool are guaranteed plenty of clean sheets.

Thanks man. I was just asking because I'm worried that my defence is a bit imbalanced;

Given

--Johnson---Hangeland--Samba---Tomkins

I was thinking about taking Johnson and Samba out, I would then be able to afford to bring in Skrtel and Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

didnt join this league last year. how many were in it?

i have to say that i'm well pissed off with the new rules. the captain changing if he doesnt play will reward people who are forgetful/lazy imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Thanks man. I was just asking because I'm worried that my defence is a bit imbalanced;

Given

--Johnson---Hangeland--Samba---Tomkins

I was thinking about taking Johnson and Samba out, I would then be able to afford to bring in Skrtel and Evra.

I had Johnson myself but decided to change him to Evra and bring in Skrtel as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Johnson got 3 goals and 4 assists last season in what was a poor side last season.

If Arbeloa does move I can see him being an ever-present for Liverpool.

On the basis of his impressive 45-min performance in the St Gallen game, I could also see him surpassing the number of assists and maybe even goals, as he is well able to get forward for assists and he has a decent shot on him.

As part of the Liverpool defence you would expect him to pick up quite a few clean sheet points.

A small worry is the number of cards he picked up last season - 8 yellows and 1 red. However I wonder if this might not be partially due to Portsmouth being under defensive pressure in a lot of games. He doesn't strike me as an especially dirty player and I would be surprised if he racks up anythig similar this year. He picked up only 7 yellows total, in the previous two seasons for Portsmouth.

While he is pricey he's definately worthy of consideration imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I wouldn't be sure if Johnson will be quite as attack minded this year as he was last year. But playing a better team he'll most likely get the same amount of assists and more clean sheets.
    But is he really worth 1.0 more than say, Evra? Judgement call I suppose.

marbar wrote: »
    didnt join this league last year. how many were in it?

i have to say that i'm well pissed off with the new rules. the captain changing if he doesnt play will reward people who are forgetful/lazy imo

I thought everyone would be delighted with that rule change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

JPA wrote: »
    I thought everyone would be delighted with that rule change.

nah. the amount of times i've heard people say "bollox i gotgot to change my team/captain"
    now what will happen is the extra transfer that carries for one week will be used by everyone in the double week so you wont get rewarded for planning.
    then if you dont change captain or just get it wrong, it'll default to your most expensive/highest scoring player

this will mean pot luck and lazyness will get rewarded and planning something well in advance wont

really not happy about it

Just sometimes there can be a surprise selection with your captain left on the bench.

I had Johnson myself but decided to change him to Evra and bring in Skrtel as well..

It would be a much easier decision if I had any idea of how Rafa is going to pick his central pairing.:pac:
    Johnson got 3 goals and 4 assists last season in what was a poor side last season.

If Arbeloa does move I can see him being an ever-present for Liverpool.

On the basis of his impressive 45-min performance in the St Gallen game, I could also see him surpassing the number of assists and maybe even goals, as he is well able to get forward for assists and he has a decent shot on him.

As part of the Liverpool defence you would expect him to pick up quite a few clean sheet points.

While he is pricey he's definately worthy of consideration imo.

All true and you have put my mind more at ease about Johnson so thank you!
    I wouldn't be sure if Johnson will be quite as attack minded this year as he was last year. But playing a better team he'll most likely get the same amount of assists and more clean sheets.

I think Rafa signed him for a reason and that reason is his ability to go forward. Rafa won't try to stifle the best thing about Johnson, at least I hope not!:pac:

• Advertisement

I think Rafa signed him for a reason and that reason is his ability to go forward. Rafa won't try to stifle the best thing about Johnson, at least I hope not!

Just a slight risk he might be held back a little bit. I'm just saying that because at Portsmouth he became one of their main attacking threats because Pompey were pretty weak, so he might not NEED to attack as much at Liverpool.

I woudl be surprised if he wasn't more attacking minding.

I think Liverpool's 4-2-3-1 will suit Johnson very well especially with Kuyt in front of him and with Masch providing defensive cover for when he makes bursts forward. A number of teams (especially in the bottom half of the table)will come to Anfield and sit deep defensively getting most players behind the ball and force Liverpool to break them down. In a lot of games like this Johnson will have great opportunities to get forward and contribute on the offensive side.

Re Liverpool's CB situation I think it's impossible to call between Skrtel and Agger in terms of who will partner Carra. Really cant see Carra being dislodged unless through injury. While Carra will pick up clean sheet points, I really cant see him picking up any assist/goal points (He's scored more OGs in his Liverpool career than goals and I don't think this is likely to dramatically change )

In terms of who is going to partner Carra, I would say Agger is probably a better fit in terms of as a compliment to Carra -what he offers bringing the ball out of defence, being a natural left-footer, whereas as Skrtel is more of a physical type battler akin to Carra. However Agger didnt travel to Switzerland due to problems with his back and his injury record isnt the best.
    I don't think this means Skrtel can be certain of getting the CB spot even to start the season as there is still a lot of pre-season to go.

In general I think it is impossible/lunacy to pick a final team until a lot is clarififed in terms what transfers will be completed/potential injuries in pre-season/ who will be first choice starters. You can get a rough idea but I think most teams won't be properly sorted until a few days before the season starts.

Arbeloa got 5 assists last season. You'd expect Johnson to be getting at least that.

Arbeloa got 5 assists last season. You'd expect Johnson to be getting at least that.

Aurelio got 5, Arbeloa got 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Aurelio, an injury prone but decent points scorer is 7.0. Evra is 6.5...

Even Degen, behind Johnson and Arbeloa, is 5.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I wouldn't worry about Johnson being held back. Anyone who watches Liverpool and knows Rafa's style knows that he likes the main width of the team to come from the full backs and encourages them to get forward. They play more like wing backs than fullbacks in many ways, and play further uo the field than Masch and Alonso.

7.5 is alot for a defender and I don't have Johnson in. But I do want him in I think he could be a big big scorer. I'm considering bringing him after gamweek one or 2, for the moment I can't quite squeeze him in.

RE: Agger/Skrtel, at the moment you have to think Rafa will stick what he went for last year. Leave Agger out for the time being in my opinion.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

IMO Evra is an absolute bargain and you'd be a fool to leave him out at that price. If he stays fit he'll be a consistent points scorer all season.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Don't think Aurelio is great value - injured at the moment (again) and I wouldnt be surprised to see Insua as first choice for large parts of the season. Also Dossena is still on the books and talk of him going back to Italy have died down a bit the last while. Too much uncertainty about who will be playing from week to week at LB spot between Aurelio and Insua when both fit as Rafa could rotate here a fair bit, especially for weeks when there are European games, even without taking Dossena into account.

At the moment Degen is battling for the 3rd choice LB spot with Darby imo.
    If Arbeloa does leave (which is up in the air) I could well see Darby as 2nd choice LB even though he isnt listed on the site yet. If Johnson does pick up an injury (Fowler forbid) and Arbeloa has left, Darby could possily be a very good short-term option.

Aurelio got 5, Arbeloa got 2.
    I always mix up those names for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

marbar wrote: »
    nah. the amount of times i've heard people say "bollox i gotgot to change my team/captain"
    now what will happen is the extra transfer that carries for one week will be used by everyone in the double week so you wont get rewarded for planning.
    then if you dont change captain or just get it wrong, it'll default to your most expensive/highest scoring player

this will mean pot luck and lazyness will get rewarded and planning something well in advance wont

really not happy about it

It would be much better if you could pick a vice captain who would step in when your captain doesnt play.. at least it would take away some of the luck that will be involved this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I always mix up those names for some reason.

Haha, I still can't tell which is which.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Haha, I still can't tell which is which.

One is a left back that is Brazilian and has light coloured hair. The other is is Spanish, plays in right back and has jet black hair.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Wow, some of the good guys last year really did become super-expensive.

Time to do some nit-picking of the new blood methinks.

EDIT: Second draft. Still wondering what else to change

1) Schwarzer

2) Hangeland
    3) Figueroa
    4) Evra

5) Kuyt
    6) Gerrard (c)
    7) Ireland
    8) Arshavin
    9) Neville

10) Macheda
    11) Zamora

Subs:
    - Sorenson
    - Doyle
    - Faye Ab
    - Johnson (the Birmingham one)

I think I may have too much money tied up in midfield :/

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Wow, some of the good guys last year really did become super-expensive.

Time to do some nit-picking of the new blood methinks.

EDIT: Second draft. Still wondering what else to change

1) Schwarzer

2) Hangeland
    3) Figueroa
    4) Evra

5) Kuyt
    6) Gerrard (c)
    7) Ireland
    8) Arshavin
    9) Neville

10) Macheda
    11) Zamora

Subs:
    - Sorenson
    - Doyle
    - Faye Ab
    - Johnson (the Birmingham one)

I think I may have too much money tied up in midfield :/

A United fan could probably make a more educated guess than me on this, but I can't see Macheda starting more than about 5 games next year. Replace him with someone who will at least get you 2 points for playing. There are some good cheap options there, Beattie is only 6.0. He'll play 90 minutes and will be Stoke's main goal threat (other than Delap that is!)

As for your midfield, yes I think you've probably tied up too much money. Maybe think about losing Kuyt, or Ireland. There are some decent cheap options in midfield as well, someone like Mark Noble (6.0) could be a good points scorer. Neville is a poor choice as well IMO (I know he's only 5, but he's going to pick up very few points, there are better value players around his price).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

My team at the moment. I've been changing constantly so any advice would be appreciated.

FAKE MADRID

Schwarzer

Evra Warnock Baines Hangeland

Gerrard Arshavin N'Zogbia Modric Young A

Johnson A

SUBS:

Hart, O'Shea, Doyle, Cresswell (Stoke)

Two things going through my mind at the moment are

1) Will Cresswell actually play for Stoke at all? Most likely not.

2) I have 3 Fulham players, that seems like a bit of a gamble...

Average-Ro wrote: »
    My team at the moment. I've been changing constantly so any advice would be appreciated.

FAKE MADRID

Schwarzer

Evra Warnock Baines Hangeland

Gerrard Arshavin N'Zogbia Modric Young A

Johnson A

SUBS:

Hart, O'Shea, Doyle, Cresswell (Stoke)

Two things going through my mind at the moment are

1) Will Cresswell actually play for Stoke at all? Most likely not.

2) I have 3 Fulham players, that seems like a bit of a gamble...

Seems like a solid enough team IMO.

1) Cresswell probably won't play much but you can't go any cheaper than 4.5 on a striker. You may just have to leave him in, but considering he's your last sub this may not be a huge problem.

2) Just keep in mind that Fulham will be in the Europa League this year. But if Hangelaand and Shwazer perform as they did last year they are very good value. Bit of an 'if' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Yeah, Cresswell I'm not too worried about, it's the three Fulham players that I'm worried about, and I forgot that they're in Europe as well. Him, might do a bit of re-thinking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

1 GK Robinson
    2 DF hangeland
    3 DF woodgate
    4 DF shawcross
    5 DF Bramble
    6 MF gerrard
    7 MF Lampard
    8 MF arshavin
    9 MF Barry
    10 MF Nzogbia
    11 ST agbonlahor

Midfield heavy i think lol so prob change it a fair bit before season starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Revised team -

Jaaskelainen

Clichy
    Skrtel
    Woodgate
    Davies
    Evra

Noble
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Pienaar

Tevez

Subs: Hart, Zamora, Doyle, Fahey

Plus 0.5 million left over to play about with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

I have changed my team around A bit. what is yer opinions of this one

sorenson

zhirkov
    vidic
    carragher
    corluka

kuyt
    ireland
    cahill
    arteta
    young

cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Can anyone join this?, I never done a fantasy football before, really wanna give it a bash though..Also, is it n00b-friendly?

EDIT: Oops, should have read the first post :o

EDIT2: Holy crap, the amount of people in this league!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

My team
    Cech
    A.Cole Carragher Ferdinand Evra
    S.Pienaar A.Young M.Petrov
    Torres Van Persie Doyle

Subs
    Hart Muamba Foley Mcsheffrey

I have changed my team around A bit. what is yer opinions of this one

sorenson

zhirkov
    vidic
    carragher
    corluka

kuyt
    ireland
    cahill
    arteta
    young

cole

That is a good team, very good in fact!! Replace Zhirkov with a cheaper full back from the big 4 and you could maybe upgrade Cole or Sorenson.

How it's looking right now;

Given.

Johnson, Tomkins, Hangeland, Samba.

Kightley, Gerrard, Arshavin, Behrami.

Torres, Tevez.

Subs: Kirkland, A.Ferdinand, Rodwell, Jerome.

Still not happy.

That is a good team, very good in fact!! Replace Zhirkov with a cheaper full back from the big 4 and you could maybe upgrade Cole or Sorenson.

Cole's a great player and at 7.0 is fantastic value IMO.
    I think he will outscore most if not all of the 7.0-9.0 ranged players.

• Advertisement

hughes2558 wrote: »
    My team
    Cech
    A.Cole Carragher Ferdinand Evra
    S.Pienaar A.Young M.Petrov
    Torres Van Persie Doyle

Subs
    Hart Muamba Foley Mcsheffrey

Good team, but maybe think about giving petrov a miss. can see him warming the bench a lot this year

Morzadec wrote: »
    Cole's a great player and at 7.0 is fantastic value IMO.
    I think he will outscore most if not all of the 7.0-9.0 ranged players.

hmmm fair point I guess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

First time making a FF team, found it quite hard!

Given

A. Cole---Vidic---Evra

--A. Young--Modric--Cahill--N'Zogbia

----Gabby----Rooney(C)----Cole

What you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Schwarzer

Evra
    Cole A----Carragher---Zhirkov
    Hangeland

Gerrard
    Lampard(C)

Cole
    Beattie
    Doyle

Opinions?

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    First time making a FF team, found it quite hard!

Given

A. Cole---Vidic---Evra

--A. Young--Modric--Cahill--N'Zogbia

----Gabby----Rooney(C)----Cole

What you think?

For a first time team not bad at all imo. You seem to have the fundamentals of the game in place anyway and no glaring mistakes. Only thing I would say is that I wouldn't like to be going in with no Gerrard AND no Lampard as they are consistent points machines and guaranteed points. They are that little bit extra though and itd force you to weaken in other areas. Then again, you could argue that Rooney will be the new Ronaldo this season and he could end up outscoring Lamps and Gerrard.

Think I'm properly addicted to ff, really can't resist giving my 2 cents on everyone's teams, apologies for hogging this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Just finished I think. What do ye think?

1: Jaaskelainen

2: Lescott ~ 3: Skrtel ~ 4: Evra ~ 5: Figueroa

6: Gerrard (C) ~ 7: Ireland ~ 8: Pienaar ~ 9: Valencia

10: Rooney ~ 11: Beattie

12: Sorenson
    13: Zayatte
    14: Neville
    15: Folan

Schwarzer

Evra
    Cole A----Carragher---Zhirkov
    Hangeland

Gerrard
    Lampard(C)

Cole
    Beattie
    Doyle

Opinions?

I like your team. Not a million miles away from mine. Perhaps Ebanks-Blake intead of Doyle? Can see him scoring more goals. Although that might just be a matter of opinion.

Morzadec wrote: »
    For a first time team not bad at all imo. You seem to have the fundamentals of the game in place anyway and no glaring mistakes. Only thing I would say is that I wouldn't like to be going in with no Gerrard AND no Lampard as they are consistent points machines and guaranteed points. They are that little bit extra though and itd force you to weaken in other areas. Then again, you could argue that Rooney will be the new Ronaldo this season and he could end up outscoring Lamps and Gerrard.

Think I'm properly addicted to ff, really can't resist giving my 2 cents on everyone's teams, apologies for hogging this thread!

thanks for the advice. Wanted Gerard in there but just counldn't really mange to fin him in! I'm sure I'll make more changes before then season starts. The only thing is I basically bought the cheapest subs possible! Which could cuase a problem I'm guessing ha!
    Subs: Sorensen, McShane, Gunter, Mendy.

I know Gunter is not guaranteed his game at all but like I said I'll probably change it up before season starts and I wanted cheap subs :D

T-b0n3 wrote: »

I know Gunter is not guaranteed his game at all but like I said I'll probably change it up before season starts and I wanted cheap subs :D

Gunter is actually being sold to Forest, so zero chance of any points!

Gunter is actually being sold to Forest, so zero chance of any points!

Oh fair enough thanks for the heads up, I'll buy some other random player that I'm hopefully never going to actually have to play! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bah, I have to stop logging onto that feckin site. Changed my team AGAIN, though this time I'm pretty happy.

Jaaskelainen

Yobo
    Skrtel
    Woodgate
    Onouha
    Evra

Noble
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    N'Zogbia

Rooney

Subs: Hart, Mascherano, McFadden, Doyle

I think a solid backline plus the trio of Rooney, Lamps and Stevie G is a decent start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

1: Schwarzer

2: Baines
    3: Evra
    4: Figueroa
    5: Hughes

6: Arshavin
    7: Alonso
    8: Modric
    9: Rosicky

10: Torres(C)
    11: Berbatov

Subs: Sorensen, Doyle, Muamba, Zayette

I know that Alonso could be going and Rosicky is a bit of a gamble with his injury proneness but I'm happy enough for now

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

What I have at the moment is:
    GK: VDS
    DEF: Evra, Cole, Tomkins, Bouma
    MID: Lampard, Malbranque, Dempsey
    FOR: Rooney, Anelka, Ebanks -Blake

SUBS: Sorensen, Woodgate, Larsson, Marney.

It will probably definitely change though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Very pleased with my team

Given
    Evra Bridge Agger
    Petrov Gerrard Arteta Modric
    Torres SEB Cole

Thoughts on on going down a peg with SEB, to improve my backline? I've Cahill on the bench, thought if I had Skrtel instead of Agger, bought a **** striker I could go for a decent 442 formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Think this is fairly decent:

1: Cech

2: Skrtel
    3: Hangeland
    4: Woodgate

5: Noble
    6: Danny Murphy
    7: Gerrard(C)
    8: Anderson

9: Van Persie
    10: Torres
    11: C.Cole

Van Persie, Gerrard, Noble and Danny Murphy are all the usual penalty takers for their clubs so think that'll help too hopefully

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement