Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan Parent & Maintenance Question

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

yeah i think i met that guy once

No need to be smart about it.

Why should both parents split child benefit if one parent has main custody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Why should both parents split child benefit if one parent has main custody?
    Because child benefit is meant to offset the expense of a child. If both parents are paying those expenses - both the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent (in paying maintenance) - then that is why both parents should split child benefit.

That's why it's called child benefit as opposed to single mother benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

what he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

There's no point in splitting it. It would be seen as income to the non custodial parent and would end up on top of the maintenance payment anyway.

You could look at this way: without child benefit maintenance payments would increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Because child benefit is meant to offset the expense of a child. If both parents are paying those expenses - both the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent (in paying maintenance) - then that is why both parents should split child benefit.

That's why it's called child benefit as opposed to single mother benefit.

Don't you mean one parent family.:p But I see you point.

Where as in some cases the non-custodial parent has child one night a week with everything supplied to them. While the custodial parent pays for creche/school fees, food, clothing, shelter, etc.*
    I don't see why child benefit should be split in that case.

*Please note that is not my current situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Where as in some cases the non-custodial parent has child one night a week with everything supplied to them. While the custodial parent pays for creche/school fees, food, clothing, shelter, etc.*
    I don't see why child benefit should be split in that case.
    Well if the non-custodial parent is not paying towards the expenses of the child(ren) then I'd agree, but if they are then the custodial parent is not paying for creche/school fees, food, clothing, shelter, etc. - both parents are.

Easily solved. When calculating maintenance, add up the child related costs per month, deduct the CB amount from the total, then split the rest.

Total child costs per month = €800
    Total Child Benefit per month = - €166
    Costs shared between parents = €634.

If there is no weekly maintenance involved, such as in a 50:50 shared parenting situation, then CB can be used for once off or annual shared costs (there are always some) such as clothes, back to school, GP visits, birthday, christmas....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Even in a 50:50 custody situation you're always better off to have a central fund for the larger expenses. Child benefit alone isn't always going to cover them. You're never going to be in a position where there are no contributions made towards a child if you split up imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

omg first of all i would like to say fair play for paying for your child unlike some men aka the father of my son who is a lazy good for nothing excuse for a father does not pay a penny and am taking him to court next month.

not that ill get anything but its worth a try but looking at some of the posts they make me sick how on earth can people say single parents get free house etc i pay rent i pay for, play school ,clothes ,food ,easter ,birthdays ,xmas there friends birthdays, petrol in the car to get them to school, uniforms, doctors ,esb,bins,oil,coal,sky,should i go on cause there is plenty more so dont ya there say we have it easy ,if you dip ur wick u should pay for the oil but 100 for one child for what ur living on is not right she is getting to greedy let her take you to court cause the judge will see that and she will get some kick up the arse when it gets cut good luck hope you sting her

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement