Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Mounting Problem.....

Options
  • 07-07-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I have an 11month old Jack Russell since he was 8weeks old. He lives inside and outside, and is as healthy as they get. He's always being walked, usually twice a day and on top of that a good deal of playing ball.

The thing is since we moved into our new house 2months ago, he's started to try an hump your arm(if your sitting on the couch) or your leg at every oportunity. In our old house i used to have an old knee high slipper thing and he used to go mad about on that, but since moving, its long thrown out so he has nothing. I'm deadly serious when i say this even though i am laughing as i type, if you tell him "NO" in a stern voice, he just gets this mad look in his eyes and only stops for a while.

Has anyone got any thoughts or opinions... short of getting a blow up bitch!! i don't know what to do with him!!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

First question anyones going to ask is - is the dog neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

**Mac** wrote: »
    In our old house i used to have an old knee high slipper thing and he used to go mad about on that,

So in other words ...you had no problem with him humping the living daylights out of an old slipper, but that's gotten lost during the move and now he's humping things that actually bother you?

Emmm ...whaddaya expect?
    You let him get away with it for so long, he's not going to stop now ...not immediately anyway. Be persistent with your "no", keep at it, and mean it when you say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

star-pants wrote: »
    First question anyones going to ask is - is the dog neutered?

+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Seriously, if he's not already done, just get the poor thing neutered. He has the hormones of a 16 year old boy at the moment, and is probably feeling really really frustrated. Plus, if he's that highly sexed, he'll be off out the door at the first sniff of a bitch in heat, and get himself into all manner of problems.
    For your sake, and for his own, a little trip to the vets will calm this behaviour down before it borders on the excessive. Castration is not a quick fix, it can take a few months for the behaviour to change due to the high level of testosterone in his blood immediately after the surgery, but it's certainly the first line in defense against this habit!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    Seriously, if he's not already done, just get the poor thing neutered. ..............it's certainly the first line in defense against this habit!

Nope ..it isn't.
    Castration has many benefits, but it's not educational. Humping behavior may be sexually triggered (dominance being the other trigger), but it's still a behaviour ..i.e. you need to correct it if you don't like it.

Let the behaviour establish itself and it becomes routine and a bad routine is hard to erradicate ...giving the dog the snip will remove the trigger over time but the behaviour will most likely continue nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

True - our b*tch is neutured but she sometimes humps our pup, asserting her dominance. I don't like her doing it so I tell her to stop. (the pup REALLY doesn't like it).

Being firm with the dog and proper correction is part of it, neutering is another I'd say.
    Just from the POV that as someone else said, if he gets a whiff of a female in heat he might land you in trouble. Unless you're planning on breeding it's probably better for him.
    You also must remember that you let him do this with another item in the old house, he doesn't understand why he can't do the same thing somewhere else. You have to discipline him.

Advertisement