Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owning a car in Germany... bringing it back to Ireland

• 07-07-2009 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi there,

I'm after buying a motor over here in Germany and was wondering what the situation was bringing it back to Ireland on holidays. Being Irish am I allowed to drive on German plates? I plan on being over here for a few years at least, but if I decide to come home with a car will I be stung for VRT?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

An overly officious garda might start to try it on because of your Irish licence.

But your KFZ-Schein should bear the vehicle data together with your name and German address ..keep your ferry tickets for the return trip in the glove compartment together with that and tell him/her to get lost (politely:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Of course not. If you are only visiting here on holiday there is no reason for you to register it here. You are not a resident so you dont have to pay it. It'd be like asking me to pay Danish VRT when i go over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

samsemtex wrote: »
    Of course not. If you are only visiting here on holiday there is no reason for you to register it here. You are not a resident so you dont have to pay it. It'd be like asking me to pay Danish VRT when i go over there.

Unless his holidays here are not longer than 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Put a German address on your (German) licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He should obtain a Führerschein from the German authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

What are ye on about, License makes NO difference whatsoever, you are under no obligation to exchange it under EU Rules.

All you have to prove is your not resident in Ireland.

The Dutch say your supposed to exchange within a year but the EU are disputing this.

OP, as long as you have your Insurance, License and Tax paid up then you've nothing to worry about, just check how long your Insurance covers you for outside Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

The Spanish insist on you changing after 6 months, but a lot of people dont do so.

There is nothing illegel about the OP driving his German car in Ireland. Just make sure to carry some german paperwork.

Whilst it may not be necessary, having a German Führerschein would make things alot easier if confronted by the usual over zealous customs officers or Gardaí.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

craichoe wrote: »
    The Dutch say your supposed to exchange within a year but the EU are disputing this.
    Since when? the Dutch are just as much a party to the relevant EU legislation as any other EU country.

For example ... http://www.zwolle.eu/cms/e-loket.nsf/AllByUNID/A673DCCE80E637EAC12568EA004493AF
    U mag met een geldig rijbewijs uit de EU of de EER maximaal 10 jaar rijden in Nederland, gerekend vanaf de afgiftedatum van het buitenlandse rijbewijs. Is dat rijbewijs al meer dan 10 jaar geleden afgegeven, dan mag u in Nederland rijden tot 1 jaar nadat u officieel in Nederland bent ingeschreven.

Translation:
    You may have a valid license from the EU or EEA driving up to 10 years in the Netherlands, from the issue date of the foreign license. Is this license for more than 10 years ago issued in the Netherlands you may drive up to 1 year after you are officially registered in the Netherlands.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Whilst it may not be necessary, having a German Führerschein would make things alot easier if confronted by the usual over zealous customs officers or Gardaí.

Nah, i wouldn't bother with a German License, can get penalty points then :P

I'll go with the European Commissions take on it thanks very much ;)

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/en/citizens/living/car/driving-license/index_en.html
    1) You already possess a driving licence issued by a Member State

You are no longer required to exchange it if your "normal residence" (1) is in a Member State other than that which issued your licence. But you may ask to exchange it if you wish.

Its about proving residence, having a German License doesn't prove residence in Germany at all.

Besides, what kind of Tulip would import a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

Translation:
    Sorry about that, craichoe should be able to read it though :) Anyway, it's just the standard spiel that's valid in any EU country, or should be.

Hi there,

I'm after buying a motor over here in Germany and was wondering what the situation was bringing it back to Ireland on holidays. Being Irish am I allowed to drive on German plates? I plan on being over here for a few years at least, but if I decide to come home with a car will I be stung for VRT?

Cheers

Btw .. where abouts are you ... :) ?

RE: 1 year thing,

Came from the bloody Irish Embassy :)

http://www.irishembassy.nl/home/index.aspx?id=40464

Irish full driving licences are valid for use in the Netherlands for one year. After that, you will need to either exchange your Irish licence for a Dutch one, or register your Irish licence with the RDW - the Dutch Road Traffic service. In both cases, you should contact your local municipality for further information. You will only be able to exchange or register your Irish licence if it is still valid, if it is a full driving licence (ie not a provisional license), and if you make your application within one year of your arrival in the Netherlands. For further information, please contact the RDW: www.rdw.nl/eng/index.html Tel: 0900.0739 (within the Netherlands - EUR0.10/minute) or +31.598.393.330 (from outside the Netherlands)

Total disinformation from our own lads :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Victor wrote: »
    Put a German address on your (German) licence.

German driving licence does not contain address.

craichoe wrote: »
    RE: 1 year thing,

Came from the bloody Irish Embassy :)

http://www.irishembassy.nl/home/index.aspx?id=40464

Total disinformation from our own lads :(
    That would explain everything, stelletje klootzakken :D

Alun wrote: »
    That would explain everything, stelletje klootzakken :D

Jees ... the boards.ie filter didn't catch that one :D

stelletje klootzakken
    :D very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alun wrote: »
    stelletje klootzakken :D

:D

Lot's of closet Dutch speakers around here all of a sudden!

U niet zeggen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Remember when a foreign registered car is in Ireland temporarily it cannot be driven by anyone normally resident here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you have to change your licence after 12mths in the UK as well, it's not just the Dutch, Germans and Spanish at it.....

Dank je wel, and guten nacht!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    you have to change your licence after 12mths in the UK as well, it's not just the Dutch, Germans and Spanish at it.....
    You can keep your Irish licence for as long as it is valid. That applies to all EU countries. Where do people get all the misinformation from?

You can keep your Irish licence for as long as it is valid. That applies to all EU countries. Where do people get all the misinformation from?
    I really don't know, to be honest. There's lots of old stale information out there on various websites that has never been updated to reflect the (not so) new legislation, and a lot of people who should know better, including Gardai, giving out the same misinformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

From traffico and the Guardia Civil in Spain. They are the ones who will fine me if I dont comply.

From traffico and the Guardia Civil in Spain. They are the ones who will fine me if I dont comply.
    There are Gardai here, and police in the UK who still think the same, they're wrong, plain and simple.

I'm sure if you trawl the relevant websites there you'll find some material in Spanish to back this up. I don't speak a word of it myself so can't help out.

OK, this is in English, but it's quite definite on the matter ...

http://spain.angloinfo.com/countries/spain/exlicence.asp#eu

Advertisement