Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H&R 17hmr break barrel

Options
  • 07-07-2009 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Anybody got one or had one? are they any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

I handled one recently in dealers,not very impressed at all with finish and very heavy but was also very cheap(tink around 200e),
    barrel and chamber looked to be made from a piece of bar stock!!even had bandsaw teeth marks across ends,didnt shoot it though so cant comment on accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If they exist in .17hmr a good break barrel rifle is just as good as anything. Go and ask a couple of thousand continentals if they love their break barrel rifles. I'm sure that the only thing they don't love about them is the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Becoming a big seller in Germany as a cheap&cheerful knockabout gun.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i had a new england break barrel (same company).22 hornet for shooting foxes years ago , i paid some tiny amount for it as the box the rifle came in had burst and the scope mounting rail had gotten lost , i finally got a scope on it and the thing was an absolute tack driver !
    the only problem was it would rust very quickly in the rain . i don't think you can go too far wrong for the money you're paying .

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

this thing is not the most elaborate gun you have ever seen, single shot ejector, i looked at a new one and a second hand one, id say you right about rusting easy but i only want it for bashing around wacking greybacks and bunnies, brand new with picatinny and mounts for 350, id like to know where you can get them for 200??? a few people said they were deadly accurate

zoom_sportster_17.jpg

scope not included, id be putting big zoom jobbie on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

guns and ammo magazine did a varmint shooting article going through the various calibers mainly .22 centrefires and larger, and the dedicated varmint rifles and suprisingly they did include the h+r/new england break open single shots and they stood up very well against the usual remington 700's , savage varminters and all the expensive custom jobs .
    the irish shooters digest also did an article on them too , i think it was cal ward who did it , he was expecting a rubbish rifle and it left him amazed , it was very accurate in .22 hornet which was the foxing calibre back then .
    mine had plastic trigger guard and fore end parts , one problem was with the scope i had on it ,it was difficult to cock the hammer and i drilled and tapped it and put a small piece of metal sticking out to the right of the hammer which i used to cock it .
    i love single shots and i'd really a love ruger no.1 .

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Yea, there is a little extension for the hammer for when there is a scope on it, im in two minds now between this gun and a cz 453 american, sweet looking gun with set trigger, going to price it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Think around 200,as far as i can remember,while ago but i have dealers details lying around somewhere so i'll send to you,didnt seem to know much about it himself tbh
    Good S/H CZ would be the way i'd go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Last year when I was trading the remy 597 for a 22 hornet I searched for a nice break barrell ruger or falling block single shot and couldnt get a decent one

Advertisement