Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headtorch suitable for kilimanjaro

Options
  • 07-07-2009 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I am looking for advice about what would be suitable. I spoke to someone who has been there, and they told me they got a basic headlight for around 10 euro and they didn't really use it at all. My local equipment shop have recommended a high tech floodlight costing 75 euro. Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Enduro

A good reliable lightweight LED headtorch, like one of the Petzl (or Lidl/Aldi :D) ones will do fine. You don't need a floodlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

smurff wrote: »
    they told me they got a basic headlight for around 10 euro and they didn't really use it at all.

you'll need it for summit night and reading in bed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I use a Petzl Tikka XP. Not too expensive, doesn't eat batteries (but bring a spare set!), reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Theres no reason why you specifically need a head torch for climbing Kili. The only benefit you gain from it is having two free hands instead of one. This is only a significant benefit if you plan to use two trekking poles.

Theres also absolutely no reason why any one head torch should be more suitable than another.. its only 5 hours of your life, spent in the dark climbing up a steep dirt track for which you just happen to need a small amount of light so you can see where to step in front of you.

I used a head torch on Kili, but the mechanism that kept it pointing upright broke, it kept falling down to aim at the ground, so I just carried it in my hand. After a while I simply hung it around my arm and let it swing. Later I simply turned it off and worked off the headtorch from the guy in front of me.

As far as the climb is concerned, you will only need this head torch for five or six hours on summit day. So unless you plan on using this headtorch again and again in future for serious alpine pursuits, I wouldn't bother buying anything expensive. A basic 10e model is the way to go.

It's not just for the climb though, a light of any kind is invaluable for various mundane activities that must happen in the dark such as navigating your way to the loo in the middle of the night, or reading as a previous poster said. There wont be any streetlights on Kili, and there won't be a light in your tent/hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I climbed Kili on the route from Kibo to Gilmans Point. I can't recall if the moon was full, or not, but there was enough ambient light to see where you're going. Your only focus will be on the 10 metres in front to you ;).

IMHO, a head torch is more weight/kit than you need to carry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

TarfHead wrote: »
    I climbed Kili on the route from Kibo to Gilmans Point. I can't recall if the moon was full, or not, but there was enough ambient light to see where you're going. Your only focus will be on the 10 metres in front to you ;).

IMHO, a head torch is more weight/kit than you need to carry.

The moon was definitely out then. Kilimanjaro is almost bang on the equator, and at the equator, it doesn't really matter much what time of year it is, the sun rises and sets at around 6am/6pm in a very abrupt manner. If the moon is not in the sky then at 5.30am it will be quite dark indeed, and at 5am, almost certainly pitch black. Youre in the middle of african wilderness, hundreds of miles from any big city, not that theyre big into street lights over there, either way there will likely be no cloud cover to reflect them. If theres no moon and you don't have a light of some kind, you won't be able to see your hand in front of you. But you can still get by using stray light from the headtorch of the guy in front of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I use a Petzl Tikka XP. Not too expensive, doesn't eat batteries (but bring a spare set!), reliable.

+1 on this one. They are great little torches

Advertisement