Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenfly on the roses - any idea how to get rid of them ?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

My first post ........... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

A cheap fast working remedy is to cover them with soap suds. It kills them and does not harm the plant.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smilingcat

Thanks very much, will give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Something I discovered by accident - Dithane 945 is very good for roses - I have been using it for the last 2 years and my roses have never been more disease free.

Dithane 945 is what farmers use to kill (and prevent) the potato blight fungus. It is only a fraction of the cost of Rose Clear etc, and in my experience, does a far better job. I give them a heavy dose once a month (starting in April, until September). Weed the ground around the roses first and spray the ground as well. Use a pressure sprayer.

I use a knapsack sprayer, but I have 36 of the damn things... but they are putting on a mighty display at the moment.

Any shop that supplies farmers has it in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I also use the soap suds style method. I put a small amount of washing up liquid in a hand-held plant sprayer and then fill it up with water. It works well but then I only have two rose bushes; if I had 36 I'd probably use a different method!

You can also try to attract ladybirds to rid the greenfly for you. You can buy ladybird boxes and attach near the rose bush. If they set up home in the box, you should be aphid-free. I haven't had much luck with this as yet, but I will persist with it is a more natural remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

I tried the Garlic additive and it works a treat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement