Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timetable 2010??

Options
  • 07-07-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Apologies - I KNOW the 2009 LC is barely over, and I'm already thinking of 2010.... but more just as a query as to how much it will change next year?

The official timetable isn't out until November but I was hoping someone might have an idea whether the order of subjects will change from this year (I know the exams will start later on 9th next year) or whether it will most likely follow the same schedule, bar the later start date??? :confused:

Or are the Department planning another overhaul similar to this year to balance out the written/oral etc etc???

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

i reckon they will stay the same as this year as there was generally no complaints unlike the two previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Itll be the same by most parts i would think. They might change around some of the subjects that are on at the same time depending on uptake etc

I can see them moving either chemistry or physics to create a longer gap between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yoda08 wrote: »
    Apologies - I KNOW the 2009 LC is barely over, and I'm already thinking of 2010.... but more just as a query as to how much it will change next year?

The official timetable isn't out until November but I was hoping someone might have an idea whether the order of subjects will change from this year (I know the exams will start later on 9th next year) or whether it will most likely follow the same schedule, bar the later start date??? :confused:

Or are the Department planning another overhaul similar to this year to balance out the written/oral etc etc???

Thanks!

Nobody will be able to say if there are changes in the timetable until it's published in November. There are a number of factors which would affect timetable changes.

- Subjects uptake and common combinations taken by students. Having Home Economics and Engineering on the first two days this year overall was probably a good move as it's highly unlikely that there are many students taking both subjects. I'd say that will be unlikely to change.

The other side of it is the correcting conferences. If correctors are finding the correcting schedule tight, it might be the case that the SEC would want to move a subject forward on the timetable if there is a large uptake for the subject

Overall I think this years changes were good. There are quite a number of students who take the Construction/Engineering/DCG/Ag Science combination especially in vocational schools and had 4 of their subjects on the last week. Putting Engineering on the first week benefits them by breaking things up as well as students who do not take it and have a gap in the timetable at the start.

Minority subjects like Applied Maths and Religion could get moved around depending on uptake, but it's anybody's guess really.

Also considering the way things are going in this country, the SEC are going to be looking at the most cost effective way of running the exams, so they could well have all the most popular subjects on the first few days to minimise the number of centres needed in each school and keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Expect the actual thing not to be over until nearly July... :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

when is the 2010 timetable coming out in November?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I hoping they won't have biology and art history on the same day again; that kind of sucked :o

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Just aslong as there isnt a clash with any of Ireland's world cup matches (if they get there) I'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It's possibly worth noting that, in the SEC's report to the Minister on what the media referred to as the "English fiasco", one of the recommendations is that in subjects where there are two papers, they not both be on in the morning. (The perception was that the fact that the two packets were green contributed to the superitendent's cock-up.)

Hence, if the SEC follows its own recommendation, then either English Paper 1 or English Paper 2 will be scheduled for an afternoon, and similarly with maths and Irish.

The report is on their website, if you're interested, and it's recommendation 4.1 on page 20:
    http://www.examinations.ie/press/sec_report_2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It's possibly worth noting that, in the SEC's report to the Minister on what the media referred to as the "English fiasco", one of the recommendations is that in subjects where there are two papers, they not both be on in the morning. (The perception was that the fact that the two packets were green contributed to the superitendent's cock-up.)

Hence, if the SEC follows its own recommendation, then either English Paper 1 or English Paper 2 will be scheduled for an afternoon, and similarly with maths and Irish.

The report is on their website, if you're interested, and it's recommendation 4.1 on page 20:
    http://www.examinations.ie/press/sec_report_2009.pdf
    would I like English paper 1 on an Afternoon - possibly
    would I like English paper 2 on an Afternoon - absolutely not unless it was the only exam on that day.

I don't see many changes being made to the timetable other than a few lesser taken subjects being moved around

• Advertisement

Lolwut? I don't quite follow the logic on that one.
    Well I suppose if the times were printed on the envelope, but even then the superintendent would probably be more likely to check the name of the paper, rather than the time it's on at.

I mean honestly, wouldn't it make more sense to just have the English papers in separate boxes; like paper 1 and Home ec. in one box delivered the first day, and then paper 2 and [whatever] delivered the next day.

Me thinks they are over complicating things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All the exam papers arrive in centres in one go, in a big metal box.
    Having them arrive in separate batches would double delivery/collection costs.

spurious wrote: »
    All the exam papers arrive in centres in one go, in a big metal box.
    Having them arrive in separate batches would double delivery/collection costs.
    Ah, I was under the impression the exam papers for each day arrived in those little* metal boxes.

*Well not exactly little, but you know the ones I'm on about(!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I thought the timetable came out in January 0.o

I remember back in 2007 when I did my JC the timetable wasn't out till January 0.o

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Can anyone tell me when the orals/music practicals usually take place?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The music practicals are usually around April.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

I feared that :(

I've been given the opportunity to purchase presale tickets for a gig in London, 20th anniversary of Opeth, if you know them. This gig is a pretty huge deal, but it looks like I won't be there :(

Oh the joys of the Leaving Cert... thanks for answering my question nevertheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

My german teacher said the provisional dates for the orals and the practicals are the first two weeks after the easter holidays, good because we'll have lots of time directly before to prepare, bad because we'll have a stressful easter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I know the practicles are starting on the 12th of April, Orals will proberly be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Would love to know the timetable now, Pearl Jam playing on the 22th june!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

@qwertplaywert:
    I'm in the same boat. with my luck chemistry or music will be on that day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Yeah, think my latest will prob be economics, hoping to **** its on before that!

Gonna get my ticket on friday anyway; can always sell it on toutless if Leaving clashes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

STILL no timetables! Tá sé ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Conor108 wrote: »
    STILL no timetables! Tá sé ridiculous!

It will be out next month and its not ridiculous because the exams are in June and releasing the timetable in January is fine

unknown13 wrote: »
    It will be out next month and its not ridiculous because the exams are in June and releasing the timetable in January is fine
    It's only because they said the timetables would be available in December. It's ridiculous that it's a month late. I mean can't the SEC set deadlines they can actually stick to?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    :D, how casual btw. I'd be like omgggg:P

Haha looks like they put it up right after my post, mental.

I see the feckers have put biology and art history on the same day again, seems to be the same as last years with just English paper two on in the afternoon instead of the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

someone just told me it's on joe duffy that this is a leaked timetable and the backup timetable is out on saturday. don't know if this is true or not

Advertisement