Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car jerking when accelerating

• 07-07-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone might have an idea what could be causing this.
    Last week I got my car serviced (00 Focus). Pretty standard oil change, new oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and a rear tire replaced along with wheel balancing.

However since the service I noticed that sometimes when accelerating (usually in 2nd or 3rd gear) the car will sort of jerk a few times, almost like the car loses power for a split second each time. It usually jerks maybe 3 or 4 times and then stops.

This doesn't happen all the time, but may 30-40% of the time I am accelerating.

Any ideas? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

Same thing started happening to my carolla last week after a service. No idea what it is hopefully some here can throw some light on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Coil pack or Air Flow metre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Would something they did during the service cause the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Flow meter, or water got inside the engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

How is it resolved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Maybe the HT leads got damaged when the service was done.

Worth checking, if there sparking properly after that i'd be guessing

coil pack or Air flow meter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Mr. darragh

coil pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Clutch slipping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Coil pack should trigger a engine light, the focus had a problem with waster jets, the water was leaking from them and goin down around the plug leads causing the car to misfire when under load. There is a modified set of washer jets available and new plug leads. I'm not saying thats the problem but its worth checking

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Noopti wrote: »
    Would something they did during the service cause the issue?

can you double check that the sparkplugs are tightened and the plug leads are stuck to the plugs securely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 zander74

this has happened twice on my 00 focus, both times it was the coil pack

beam99 wrote: »
    Coil pack should trigger a engine light, the focus had a problem with waster jets, the water was leaking from them and goin down around the plug leads causing the car to misfire when under load. There is a modified set of washer jets available and new plug leads. I'm not saying thats the problem but its worth checking

By under load, would that include a full car? I noticed it a lot more when driving to Cavan at the weekend with the car full of people.

I am going to bring the car back to the garage that did the service and ask them to check the various items mentioned here:
    Coil Pack
    Air Flow Meter
    HT Leads
    Spark Plugs

It just seems odd that I never had the issue before, and it suddenly crops up after the service. Thanks for all the advise! :)

Edit: Just in case it is the coil pack, what can I expect to pay to get it sorted?

Just to update, the garage couldn't find anything wrong with the coil pack. But they said it could be beginning to go.

So I just bought a new coil pack and installed it myself, seems to be running good so far. So fingers crossed that is the end of the issue.

Advertisement