Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Junckers Flooring

• 07-07-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

We laid about 180m2 of Junckers wide board and narrow board in our new house about 2 years ago. We noticed last winter that there was quite large gaps in the header joint and in the leght of the boards - they looked pretty awful. We got one of their approved fitter to lay the boards and we do have under floor heating. After getting the sales rep out to us twice he has sent us a letter stating that the were insufficient clips laid down by the fitter and the Junckers were not taking any reponsibility for relaying as it was not related to manufacture and the we would have to pay the labour costs for rectification. I am fuming as I bought Junckers because I thought that at least it would be on trouble free area and spent a lot of money in buying the boards and getting them laid. Any advice on what route I could now? I dont want to have to pay somebody again to take up these boards and relay them. They dont have an office in Ireland any more - its not in Essex.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

BTW just because a fitter is 'approved' it doesn't mean he's a Junkers employee, they're usually independent contractors so Junkers aren't liable for repairs.

If your contract with the shop included fitting you'll need to check the terms of sale to see who's responsible for fitting. Usually the terms state that fitting is the customer's responsilbility in which case shop is not liable as is merely acting as an intermediatory. If this is the case I'd say you'll have to chase down the fitter youself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

Usually you have to wait a certain number of months after you move into a new house before you can lay timber flooring due to the high moisture content in the freshly set concrete,also the packs of floor boards when delivered to your house should have been left in the rooms they are going to be laid in to climatise/adapt to the room temperature,if this was done then the floor layer made a boll*x of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

I have Junkers in my home and found it an excellent product and very easy to fit just by following their manual for spacing the clips.

I also think your problem is with the installer not the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Building Surveying Solutions

LeotheLion wrote: »
    Usually you have to wait a certain number of months after you move into a new house before you can lay timber flooring due to the high moisture content in the freshly set concrete,also the packs of floor boards when delivered to your house should have been left in the rooms they are going to be laid in to climatise/adapt to the room temperature,if this was done then the floor layer made a boll*x of it.
    Leothelion is right in that the moisture content of a concrete floor needs to be less than 90%RH in order to avoid swelling of the timbers. However Junckers do state that their floor boards do not need to be aclimatised and should remain in the plastic wrapping until they are laid.

Junckers have good technical support team which is UK based and their website is full of useful information and downloads. I would also note that when laying a clip system floor, the boards need to be glued at the heads to avoid the joints from opening up.

Good luck.

Advertisement