Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place to purchase a domain

Options
  • 07-07-2009 8:28pm

guys where is best place to purchase a web domain in terms of not getting viruses or spam and at a good reasonable price too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well I don't know about spam or viruses when you get a domain but godaddy.com does cheap domains but you might want to do a search on here as some people have had complaints about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

never had a problem with Godaddy. Very good service.

If you want to go Irish then choose Digiweb or Blacknight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Quick question on this out of interest...

When you "purchase" a domain name from a third party reseller like (for example) Digiweb or Blacknight do you the own that domain?? As in - if you take a 3 year option then it's absolutely yours for the 3 years but can then be released after that time if you don't renew? And no danger of someone gazumping you say during those 3 years?

Just curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I've used GoDaddy and also Joker.com and had no trouble with either

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Quick question on this out of interest...

When you "purchase" a domain name from a third party reseller like (for example) Digiweb or Blacknight do you the own that domain?? As in - if you take a 3 year option then it's absolutely yours for the 3 years but can then be released after that time if you don't renew? And no danger of someone gazumping you say during those 3 years?

Just curious...

yeah, its yours, and when it runs out you have first dibs on renewing it, even if you dont renew it on time, there is still a few weeks after it runs out where only you can renew it.

edit: and Ive used godaddy aswell. I dont like their control panel but its cheap so you'll get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

With regard to domains, it's important to know the extension. Different extensions have different rules and prices. So for .com's, for example, GoDaddy or 1&1 could be best while for, say, .eu's it could be other companies. And many people miss another important point - the hosting is often separate. A domain without Web space or even a parking page may not be very useful. Unless you want redirection to another site.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

if your going with godaddy here are some codes to get money off your order:

http://revision3.com/godaddy

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've used DynDNS's custom domain service - it's very good if you want to move web hosts easily and/or keep track of your own servers through dynamic IP's.

thanks everyone for your suggestions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

I use dynadot.com

Very clean, no bull**** like godaddy.

• Advertisement

Kingser1 wrote: »
    OVH.ie 12 months free hosting when you buy any domain and they're the 9th largest registrar in the world...so I think your safe with them

Just arrived in Ireland so they're trying to promote themselves like crazy :pac:
    A few months ago they said they're creating an Irish site but I didn't really take it seriously, to be honest. Still, I don't know if that's a good news they've arrived. Competition is, of course, good, especially on the stale Irish market, but they're definitely not one of the best. And I actually didn't know they're 9th biggest in the world, sounds doubtful to me. In short, during the past three years I used their com (French) and co.uk sites and they're pretty amateurish, to say the least. They do throw in good deals on a regular basis but their service is rubbish and their systems are malfunctioning quite often. Just for a domain parking may be OK but still I wouldn't recommend them for anything more or less important/valuable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Does anyone know if the 12 month free hosting with OVH.ie has any strings attached. i.e. get 12 months free but have to pay for another 6 months after that.

Or could you get the 12 months free and then stop using their hosting services?

When I used them before, there was no obligation to continue beyond the original contract term. Most other hosting providers or Registrars don't put any restriction either. Except the German ones who sneak in some 6 months cancellation notice in their T&C and then start threatening you for breach of contract. OVH is French so should be OK. They do owe me a fiver but I'm not overly upset :) The Deutsch tried overcharging me for more than a hundred:eek:

p.s. Where has the original Kingser1's post on OVH promotion gone? Probably, local censors found it a threat to Digiweb :cool:

Advertisement