Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone use galway homeopatic ibr/bvd/lepto

• 07-07-2009 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering has anyone used this and did it work had a rep around yesterday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Used them for high scc a few years back did not work for me
    I found it a waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

A neighbor here used them for a cow with mastitis. Complete waste of time and money. There is no scientific evidence to show that homeopathy works and plenty evidence to show that it does not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

the rep said they are all licensed by the medical board -or somewhere - so they do work:rolleyes::rolleyes: it is some thing like 8.81 euro per cow per year , think i wil order my leptovoid in the morning:D at least i know it works

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Wouldn't trust that stuff. I would definitely not take the risk.
    Stick with what you know works, and what is proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 squarebale

Homeopathic veterinary medicinal products can be licensed in two ways:-
    1. Simplified scheme - they have to prove they are safe but cannot claim efficacy (basically that they work)
    2. Full authorisation (VPA number on all "proper medicines") including proof that they are effective ie. efficacy

No homeopathic medicines have been proven to work better than placebo controls and none are registered in the latter way. They are a complete waste of time and money. In fact the only reason the medicines board allowed the first kind of approval was to prevent consumers buying products that are actually harmful (although homeopathics are not usually harmful because they contain only water)

In fact its ironic that they have a product for these diseases. These are all diseases that have been discovered by science - the syndrome described, the disease pathways identified, the causative agent identified and ultimately named. Yet these hocus-pocus peddelers then hijack science's discoverys and offer solutions that are counter-scientific ie. no logical hypothesis and never any experimental proof of efficacy in proper controlled studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

i actually never inject for any of them diesases,,
    touch wood all has been good,this last 10 yrs...
    all healthy cows+calves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

wiggy123 wrote: »
    i actually never inject for any of them diesases,,
    touch wood all has been good,this last 10 yrs...
    all healthy cows+calves!

The problem with BVD and Lepto is that your own herd is probably 100% disease free, but if you buy in a bull, there's a 75% chance he has it and will give it to all your cows. Also there's a risk with heifers or cows that you buy in that they will pass it to your bull and he will give it to the rest of your cows.

Your herd may have it, and you might never have a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

My vet told me that BVD is endemic in vast majority of Irish Herds.
    If that is the case, is it not better to let it run it's course and build up a natural resistance. That is cull poor thriving animals, as farmers do anyway. Drug companies will tell us to vaccinate ($$$$), but if it's there already, this will only have an effect on animals born thereafter. Then there's problems with Persistent Infectors (PI's).

If it is such a big problem, why isn't the dept doing something about it.:confused:

• Advertisement

Because it dos'nt affect trade

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement