Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health and Safety Issues

Options
  • 07-07-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I work full time in a bar/offlicence. The pay is good but im becoming extremely depressed and stressed out in my job.

Im suffering severe back pain as a result of all the heavy lifting i do everyday, i received no manual handling training.
    I find myself crying everyday while working and not able to sleep on nights before i come to work.
    At weekends im expected to work three 15 hour days in a row.

Is this normal??..:confused::confused::confused:
    Im tempted to just leave but there is no work out there...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Regarding your shifts-are your co workers on a similar deal? To me weekend work seems to be the nature of the beast when employed in the pub trade. (family in the business) How many do you and your colleagues work a month?

Have you spoken to your colleagues about what they think about your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lynnmarie wrote: »
    Im suffering severe back pain as a result of all the heavy lifting i do everyday
    In a few weeks, your back may give in/break, and you'll be up sh|t creek without a paddle.
    Im tempted to just leave but there is no work out there...
    Once you are up sh|t creek without a paddle, you won't be able to work anywhere.

The dole is temporary. A broken back is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lynnmarie

the_syco wrote: »
    In a few weeks, your back may give in/break, and you'll be up sh|t creek without a paddle.

Once you are up sh|t creek without a paddle, you won't be able to work anywhere.

The dole is temporary. A broken back is permanent.

If i leave myself, am i entitled to the dole?.
    also i'm only 19 so i dont think i'm entitled to get the full amount anyway?..
    some one also mentioned social welfare cert's to me, does anyone know what there cert's are all about?..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

OH FOR GODS SAKE!!!!
    Talk to your manager before you hand in what could possibly be the only job you may get in the next while!!!

If you go on the dole the most you will get is €100. So whats it to be? €100 a week for the next couple of years or the (high) probablity that your boss will do something for you. Why would your manager want to either damage your back and land himself with a courtcase?

Politely and very nicely- Grow a pair!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You (hopefully) have a long life ahead of you. MIND YOUR BACK

this guidance from the Health and Safety Authority

http://publications.hsa.ie/getFile.asp?FC_ID=582&docID=305

gives specific guidance for the retail sector.

The law does require you get manual handling training, but in my experience a lot of it is pointless as most employees quickly fall back into bad habits.

Personal fitness/ability is a major factor in determining how much you can lift, perhaps you should, for your own sake, look for a job that requires less physical strength.

Alternatively maybe something simple like a handcart could reduce the amount of lifting required and your boss would probably buy one if you ask!

However there are limits to how much you can eliminate manual handling from any occupation (in that info from the HSA it mentions that the new self-service checkouts eliminate the hazards involved in operating a supermarket checkout; but that also means less employees!!!!)

As regards the long hours at the weekend, they are probably not in accordance with the working time act 1997 which provides for an 11 rest period between shifts (with some exceptions!), but then again if you are only working for the three shifts your working week is only 45 Hrs. Unless you have another job to go to I wouldn't press the issue too much!

Last year I started a new job, realised after a week I hated it so I kept looking and got another job after a few months that I enjoy (slightly less pay, but enough for my needs). I think you should reconsider your options and plan a new career for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

i know how you feel. i too have a bad back from lefting kegs. it really hurts to lie down at bed time. At bank holidays i would be nearly doing 40 hours. i don't work there any more due to an accident i had there. haven't been back to work yet and its well over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

At weekends im expected to work three 15 hour days in a row.

Is this normal??..:confused::confused::confused:

Most weekends only have two days in 'em!

And if you do three 15 hour days, that's 45 hours. You're only allowed to work a maximum of 48 hours in a week.

Are you sure the days are really that long, or do they just feel long?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

There is supposed to be an eleven hour gap between periods of duty. If you are working three 15 hour days on the trot there is a breach of the working time directive. Even at risk of losing your job you should complain to the Rights Commissioner. You should also complain if you have not been give a written statement of the terms and conditions of your employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You say the pay is good, how good?

Even thou there no jobs about, you have experience in alcohol, you might be able to get a job in a super market off licence. The bigger the company the more likely they will have the equipment you need to do your job.

Try sending Cv out with a cover letter saying you have an interest in off licence and would like a position in their supermarket. You might be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Legally your employer is obliged to provide you with manual handling training and as mentioned you have to have an 11 hour break between shifts.

For your own sake you should find out how to lift correctly and minimise the load you are putting on your body. This is something you can do independently. It's your back and at the end of the day your employer won't care if you quit or not. You should also endeavour to get some tips on looking after your back, there are exercises you can do to increase the strength and there may be other lifestyle factors that you aren't aware of that are contributing to your pain.

I don't know about the social welfare side of things but I wouldn't fancy being unemployed at 19. Chances are that you won't get another job at the minute. What are you thinking of doing long-term?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Hi

I work in Health & Safety and we come accross a lot of workplaces like yours. Firstly, your employer is obliged to provide you with Manual Handling Training. However, what would also be very worth while would be getting a H&S person into the pub for a few hours to look at your work practices. It won't cost a fortune and often by making a few simple changes to your work practices you can hugely reduce the actual amount of manual lifting you do in a day.

Advertisement