Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MG ZS

• 07-07-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

I've been offered an MG ZS and a CBR250 as a swap for my car (Skyline R33 GTS-t).
    I'm looking for a bit of information on the MG please. It's a 2002 1.8 model.

All help appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Cathy666 wrote: »
    I've been offered an MG ZS and a CBR250 as a swap for my car (Skyline R33 GTS-t).

Piece of sh*t but might be better than a 1994 skyline;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

upthedub wrote: »
    Piece of sh*t but might be better than a 1994 skyline;)

Just as well mine is a 93 so. Cheers for that constructive comment :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Just as well mine is a 93 so. Cheers for that constructive comment :rolleyes:
    Even better:D

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I would do the swop for the CBR250 alone :D.

I have no idea about the MG, but a few more details would help.
    Such as:

Year
    Millage
    General condition, inside and out.
    Extras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Nice motor them skylines always liked them.

be careful if you get a MG, there prone to head gasket

failure and tappets tend to get rattly after only a few thousand miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the MG doesn't appeal to people looking for:

badge
    low road tax
    speed (only 115bhp)
    reliability (head gasket problems)

Even a 1.4 ZS is a hard sell, a 1.8 is saleproof.

P.C. wrote: »
    I would do the swop for the CBR250 alone :D.

I have no idea about the MG, but a few more details would help.
    Such as:

Year
    Millage
    General condition, inside and out.
    Extras
    Haha :D

Yeah a bit of info would be useful alright.

Year: 2002
    Mileage: 90k miles
    Condition: Very good all round (so he says)

I'm not too bothered about the mileage, once it has been well looked after.

Muckie wrote: »
    Nice motor them skylines always liked them.

be careful if you get a MG, there prone to head gasket

failure and tappets tend to get rattly after only a few thousand miles.
    Cheers, me too. I don't want to sell it, but I'm trying to buy my house, so it has to go. Plus I do a lot of driving every week, so could do with a more economical car.

Thanks for that info. I'll keep an ear out for the tappets and check for any blow from the engine.

Just as well mine is a 93 so.

Yeah a bit of info would be useful alright.

Year: 2002
    Mileage: 90k miles
    Condition: Very good all round (so he says)

I must be missing something here.
    Not a fan of the MG ZS - not the best engine out there, but still -
    Someone wants to swop a 2002 MG ZS, value +/- 2500
    and a CBR250 (not sure of the year, or condition), but could be worth as much as 3000

for a 1993 Skyline, value 4000 :confused:

Tax on the MG and CBR will be cheaper.
    Insurance would probably be cheaper (if you have a full bike licence).

how is a 1.8 litre ZS worth 2500?

I must be missing something here.
    Not a fan of the MG ZS - not the best engine out there, but still -
    Someone wants to swop a 2002 MG ZS, value +/- 2500
    and a CBR250 (not sure of the year, or condition), but could be worth as much as 3000

for a 1993 Skyline, value 4000 :confused:

Tax on the MG and CBR will be cheaper.
    Insurance would probably be cheaper (if you have a full bike licence).

The bike is only a 91. He was looking for €1300 for it. I have the Skyline advertised at €4500. If I was to break the car, I'd get a lot more than that for parts. There's a lot of work gone into that car. I just want to get rid of it. €150 a week on petrol just for commuting to work is a joke at this stage.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    how is a 1.8 litre ZS worth 2500?

Sorry, just based it on this:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/MG/ZS/1.8/200920192806812/advert?channel=CARS

But then, I don't think a 1993 Nissan is worth anything :eek:.

Sorry, just based it on this:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/MG/ZS/1.8/200920192806812/advert?channel=CARS

But then, I don't think a 1993 Nissan is worth anything :eek:.

Clearly, you don't know much about modified cars then.

Don't need to.
    They do not interest me.

Maybe your thread would have been better off here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=603

Don't need to.
    They do not interest me.

Maybe your thread would have been better off here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=603

the question was about the trade in, not the car for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

I know the Skyline is typically overpriced in Ireland, even though its a ZS Id swap for the savings and variety of the car and bike.
    1993 Skyline is not worth the running costs IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Are you going to sell the bike on?
    Running a bike and a car will cost the same, if not more than running the skyline.

I've done this for a while myself and used neither enough to justify the cost of having both.

Bikes can be just as expensive as cars to run with the exception of road tax.

If the purpose of this exercise is to save on running costs then it is not the right deal for you.
    Hold out for a straight sale or a better swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

wouldent touch an mg for love nor money except if your going classic ..... there probably more reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

OP. I actually have a ZS so, just to seperate the bullsheet from the facts for you....

I had one for the last 3 years. Same as what you're looking at.

A 2002 1.8 MG ZS 120+

In that time I have done about 80k miles in it. I have mixed feelings on it :

Positives :
    It is a really nice car to drive. Comfortable. The road holding is fantastic on it. And while the 120 bhp engine won't exactly stick you to the seat it is no slouch either as it is not a particularly heavy car.

In my own opinion, it is a fantastic looking car. Nice shape. Lovely standard alloys. Really looks well after a good wash.

For a 1.8 petrol, it's not bad on juice. I didn't measure exactly, but I think I was getting around 40ish mpgs.

They're cheap as chips. I bought mine for €8k 3 years ago. You should be able to pick one up for €2,000 Max now. (In fact, I would sell you mine for a grand....!!!!!)

Negatives

Head Gaskets - Let me just confirm - The Head Gasket is indeed a serious problem. I have done mine twice in three years and I have a feeling it is on the way out again. Now, the only thing I would have to say in it's defence, is that in those three years, the head gasket is the only thing that went wrong. I know it is a big thing, but still apart from the head gasket, the rest of the car is well put together.

Sellability
    As someone else said, they are practically unsaleable. I am currently trying to sell mine and it's nigh on impossible. It's driving great, but it needs an NCT and maybe the Head Gasket done again (I'm not sure) and I would let it go for a grand as I don't have time to spend on it and I already have another car. I'm even thinking of giving up and storing it away (living on a farm - lots of sheds) to try and put it together as some kind of a track car or something in the next few years. But this would be a positive for you as it means you can pick it up cheap.

Turning Circle
    Just a small thing but it can be a pain in the a55. The turning circle on them is very poor. You'll find a 3 point turn in a standard saloon becomes a 6 point turn in a ZS. Can be a bit of a pain in enclosed spaces like car parks etc. Not the end of the world though

So to summarise, I don't know what your car and the bike are worth, but if the MG is NCT'ed and in good nick it is probably worth between € 1,500 and € 2,000. If that fits in with your figures, then check when the head gasket was done on it (It was bound to have been done at least once). You should probably even get someone to check out the head gasket to see what it is like. If it seems solid enough, then I think it is a good car for that kind of money. You will get a year or two out of it and it'll owe you nothing then.

Advertisement