Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First car recommendations? Mitsubishi Colt?

• 07-07-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

im starting driving soon! looking at a mitsubishi colt 1.3 '97 has NCT until 10/10. 140k asking 1200. any advice more than welcome...:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

k8bcly;
    Please don't drag up old threads.
    Moved to a separate thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Nice little motor. Is a jap import, if so there a slightly better

spec, come with air conditioning. Make sure its had its timing belt/water

pump done. Clutch if it was done, check for wear.

Service history or any receipts for past work done on the car.

Haggle, never give what there asking for. :D Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭k8bcly

Muckie wrote: »
    Nice little motor. Is a jap import, if so there a slightly better

spec, come with air conditioning. Make sure its had its timing belt/water

pump done. Clutch if it was done, check for wear.

Service history or any receipts for past work done on the car.

Haggle, never give what there asking for. :D Good Luck.

tanx ya ders no way im giving im dat much!!! lol tanx:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Only saw the first half of the thread and thought 'Mitsubishi Colt'

I had two mirages (coupe versions of the colt), which had the same engine..Great cars, very reliable...but slowest cars in the world (well probably not but not fast). if i had to go back to a 1.2 or a 1.3 car though, id be buying a colt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

k8bcly wrote: »
    tanx ya ders no way im giving im dat much!!! lol tanx:cool:

No text speak please :)

I think they're a great car, my friend had one and treated it like shìte. Drove the arse off it, had it stolen a couple of times and it still never missed a beat.
    ottostreet wrote:
    but slowest cars in the world (well probably not but not fast)

What are you comparing it to? I'd have thought it would be nippy enough compared to similar cars.

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    No text speak please :)

sorry yeah theres no way i'm giving him that much!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

consider a Starlet too, livlier and more fun to drive. plenty ex-nun cars out there with small mileage.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    consider a Starlet too, livlier and more fun to drive. plenty ex-nun cars out there with small mileage.

ya had a look all i can find is either field cars or 1.4l and i can't insure them:(

Left field choice and far from bullet proof - but if you are really restricted by engine size, you won't find many 1.0 cars that are more fun than a classic mini.

sorry to break it to you but Colts are 1298cc and Starlets are all 1332cc. hardly a major difference. my sister got insurance on one for around 600 when she was 20 with no driving experience.

• Advertisement

Left field choice and far from bullet proof - but if you are really restricted by engine size, you won't find many 1.0 cars that are more fun than a classic mini.

ya but have you seen the price of them:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

1200 is too much for that car, in fact i find that most colts are over valued. how about a fiesta, some good examples out there, fairly cheap and 1.25 engines are meant to be a decent compromise between economy and pace.

sorry to break it to you but Colts are 1298cc and Starlets are all 1332cc. hardly a major difference. my sister got insurance on one for around 600 when she was 20 with no driving experience.

tell that to the insurance companys! im 17 all they want to do is screw me out of money

and they'll insure you on a Colt for small money?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    1200 is too much for that car, in fact i find that most colts are over valued. how about a fiesta, some good examples out there, fairly cheap and 1.25 engines are meant to be a decent compromise between economy and pace.

ya had a look there not bad! might go to see one in the city

and they'll insure you on a Colt for small money?

ya 1600! cheapest i can find

tell that to the insurance companys! im 17 all they want to do is screw me out of money

What kind of quotes are you getting? I remember there being a £500+ difference between changing from a 1.0 to a 1.1, so I know what you're taking about with the difference in engine sizes.

Hate to break it to you, but they're not really trying to screw you out of money - you're just in a high risk category.

As mentioned, the 1.25 Fiesta might be a good compromise.

Here's your car.

1.0 Suzuki Swift, 29,000 miles, 2 laydee owners, all for a grand.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Suzuki/Swift/200928194542485/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif

What kind of quotes are you getting? I remember there being a £500+ difference between changing from a 1.0 to a 1.1, so I know what you're taking about with the difference in engine sizes.

Hate to break it to you, but they're not really trying to screw you out of money - you're just in a high risk category.

As mentioned, the 1.25 Fiesta might be a good compromise.

ya 1400 not a huge diff

You can get insured for €1400????

• Advertisement

You can get insured for €1400????

ya its lyk 1367 or smetin lik dat
    best part of 1400quid nyway

ya its lyk 1367 or smetin lik dat
    best part of 1400quid nyway

*cough no more text speak cough!*

You have no idea what high insurance is then! I was in my mid twenties before I could get a quote that low in a 1.1 car.

*cough no more text speak cough!*

You have no idea what high insurance is then! I was in my mid twenties before I could get a quote that low in a 1.1 car.

sorry habit!! ya but i have extra things going for me!! the main one is... i'm female!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had 2 Mirage's too (hatchback & coupe) 99/98 respectively and found them a great car. Not the fastest with a few people in them, but otherwise nippy enough, neither gave me any trouble, and the boot on the coupe was a suprisingly decent size.

Go for it OP :)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I had 2 Mirage's too (hatchback & coupe) 99/98 respectively and found them a great car. Not the fastest with a few people in them, but otherwise nippy enough, neither gave me any trouble, and the boot on the coupe was a suprisingly decent size.

Go for it OP :)

OP????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OP????

OP = Original Poster/thread starter.. ie: you! :D (not to be confused with OAP though! :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP????

OP = Original poster = you.

OP = Original poster = you.

oh right! sorry new to this!! lol:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1998 Toyota Starlet asking €1k:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194462715

Actually I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Nissan Micra, if you could stretch your budget a bit for something like this, could probably be bought for around €1500 straight:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200919192737939

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    1998 Toyota Starlet asking €1k:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194462715

Actually I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Nissan Micra, if you could stretch your budget a bit for something like this, could probably be bought for around €1500 straight:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200919192737939

nah cant stretch it im afraid! saw one for 950 the clutch and gear box were pretty much F*****!!and it looked like it had been crashed and repaired badly! so that was a non starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

get a 98 almera. good car. won't let you down and cheap to run.

EX_474_1153076_01.jpg

get a 98 almera. good car. won't let you down and cheap to run.

EX_474_1153076_01.jpg

thanks ill have a look! whats the engine size in in one of them???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

thanks ill have a look! whats the engine size in in one of them???

1.4 litre

bazz26 wrote: »
    1.4 litre

i already said i can't insure a 1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

would you not be better off getting mother/father to buy a car, insure themselves on it then put you down as named driver??? would be cheaper I'd say

• Advertisement

Or just see if you can get insured as a named driver on their car for a year or two, as you can't drive on your own without a full licence anyway.

Advertisement