Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Veg*ns (Pictures and info!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Namaste1

Greetings fellow veg*ns!

Been reading this for a while and finally found my log in and password and getting a bit more active in my posting!

I'm 29, been a vegetarian for 6 years now following years of people assuming I was a veggie cos I ate healthily as a teenager! Recently took the plunge into vegan life, started slowly and now really getting into it (I know this because I even turned my nose up at cheese this morning while making my husband's lunch!) What else, emmm, I'm a yoga teacher and postdoctoral researcher, have two adorable beagle puppies which cured me of my fear of dogs and am just trying to live a "kind life" through my food choices and barking at my husband for not putting drink bottles in the recycling! :)

When I'm not working I'm either baking or knitting, so now I'm working on veganising both of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Welcome Rock, and welcome Namaste :)

Hey Tar, You shaved the very same week I did...someone gives You informations? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Hi All Fellow Veggies

Just joined boards.ie the other day - finally woke up :eek: to the joys of the internet and started following the veggie forum and now this thread. Been a veggie a looooooooonnnnnng time! Tried vegan a few years ago but couldn't find any food I really liked:mad: so have decided to stick to the easier option for the mo anyway but looking forward to trying out some of the lovely recipes you guys have posted. BFN:)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sourire

Hi guys!

I've been a vegetarian for eight years(and I still have to look up how to spell that word!) and vegan on and off for the last two years. Honestly, I'm finding it a bit hard:( I eat vegan at home and when I go out to restaurants...it's just when I go to someones house and they offer me biscuits or cake, I find it hard to say no. I guess I'm slowly eating less animal products.

I don't log on much but I do read the threads so know I'm here...reading what you write....

creepy?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

welcome to the internet indeed!

it's a lot harder on the putar! looks weird reversed like that, there's a gif asking to be made!

• Advertisement

oh hello sourire, missed you there. It's a lurker, get it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sourire wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I've been a vegetarian for eight years(and I still have to look up how to spell that word!) and vegan on and off for the last two years. Honestly, I'm finding it a bit hard:( I eat vegan at home and when I go out to restaurants...it's just when I go to someones house and they offer me biscuits or cake, I find it hard to say no. I guess I'm slowly eating less animal products.

I don't log on much but I do read the threads so know I'm here...reading what you write....

creepy?:cool:
    Hey, welcome to the forum, well posting on it anyway heh
    sure most vegans start like that i think, just limiting and slowly reducing what they eat. now back to your lurking :P
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    welcome to the internet indeed!

it's a lot harder on the pulos! >_> looks weird reversed like that, there's a gif asking to be made!

it would just be me kinda side to side dancing, oh wait the other pics :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

5792842039_9be5f28b00_z.jpg

I'm being a bit more active posting here as after six years of vegetarianism I am making the transition to veganism, prompted by watching the film Planeat. I'm not sure if I will eat vegetarian when out with friends/family, still have to think it through, but am slowly reducing the amount of dairy in my diet. I'm nervous and excited at the same time.

Oh that's me this summer at Castle Howard, York.

more gingers! ^^ you're from sligo ff?

too much time on my hands these days, this what happens...

purple testing! that's enough for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

bleedin rapih purple hair :)

i was thinking of doing the same [but red on blond]. Honestly, unemployment really opens the doors to fun at home projects ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

So You done the purple ends like You said would happen soon...savage looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

more gingers! ^^ you're from sligo ff?

too much time on my hands these days, this what happens...

[IMG][/IMG]

purple testing! that's enough for now!

I love the dip dyed ends, tempted to try it myself before I have to start looking respectable.

I am from Sligo, I moved away last year though, no plans to return in the near future!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

/veggie zombie...

grains....GRAINS....GRAINS

SAM_1120_700x525.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 VeganStephen

Thanks Tar for your quick reply and your help.

Well a litte about me then, I am a recent convert to veganism (in earnest about three months now). I have been a vegetarian since I was about 17. I am a lifelong Smiths fan and it was the "Meat Is Murder" album that converted me to vegetarianism.

My passions are music,working out, running, cooking and Marxism.I participated in my first half marathon this summer, and plan to run a couple of half marathons and hopefully a full marathon next year.

I think that's enough to be getting on with for now.

I really look forward to participating in the board here, and getting to know other members (isn't it exciting:D )

And a picture too (I am such a poser by the way!)

180440.jpg

I have edited in your picture properly like you asked Morissey! :p
    Welcome to the forum great to have new people. How are you finding the change from vegetarianism to veganism? Marathon eh, impressive! I'm sure I'll see you running up the finglas road some day. :)

Admit it newbie! You are Morrissey! :p
    Hope you enjoy the forum almighty one. :)

Omg Morrisey's in the forum flutter.jpg
    <3 The Smiths

You're very welcome Stephen, do stick around!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 VeganStephen

Thanks everyone for a really nice welcome, and for the case of mistaken identity (a mistake I'm happy to have made).

I've already taken a look at the thread on protein sources and I must say I am impressed with some of the members knowledge of protein sources for us lot.

As for my own situation Tar regarding my journey to veganism, well that's precisely how I would describe how I arrived at that decision, a journey. It's also a decision I am hugely proud of in the sense it's an aspect of my life that defines me as a person.

I am 43 (44) next month, mentioning my age is important in the context of me talking about my journey to veganism. I am very fortunate to have got my dream job just before my 40th birthday. I work full time in the trade union movement (a subject I am passionate about is workers rights ). I am fortunate because not everyone can say they are in a job they love (indeed in this climate it's for the majority of us we are fortunate to have a job if we have one).

I can only speak for myself but I think for a lot of people reaching 40 is a milestone in one's life. You begin to realise your not as invincible as you might have thought you were. It's a time too in one's life to reflect back and try to make sense of the journey one has been on. Without sounding morose or downbeat, life throws a few surprises one's way, such as maybe the death of a loved one, which again forces one to reflect on ones on mortality, and to reflect on what one has achieved or not as the case may be. The loved one I lost was my Mum. I miss her still, but the best tribute I can pay her is to try to be the best person I can be. To remain true to myself and try to make a difference. If I can do that I feel I have achieved something.

I gave up drinking (4 years ago), stopped smoking (2 years and counting come January 2012). Two key decisions I made in my life. My new journey took me towards taking much better care of my health, diet, and sense of self. The fact that I no longer drink or smoke combined with my vegetarianism I started to say to myself I should be in great shape (at the time I was about 13 stone). At the time of giving up smoking I made a promise to myself that I would knock myself into better shape. I lost 2 stone in weight over a year, joined a gym and learnt to swim.

Two years down the road and bringing you to the present, I now have converted my spare room into a home gym. I work out three times a week and run three times a week. I joined a running club and completed my first half marathon during the Summer.

In tandem to these changes I was also finding that I was starting to question my vegetarianism. Not doubting my commitment but I begun questioning if there was a more ethical approach I could take towards animal rights. Now I understand that we are all on our own journeys in life, but for me personally speaking there were elements of vegetarianism that I continued to question. Issues such as the consumption of dairy products and eggs. The type of questions I asked myself was,was it ethical for me to take this from an animal, and did I actually need dairy products to survive. I kept coming to the same conclusion that I didn't need them and there were alternatives available, and in some cases were far healthier options.

I would emphasis becoming a vegan is not to be taken lightly. I gradually began to eliminate all animal by products from my diet, before I finally made the decision. I am delighted to report my own GP keeps telling me I am in his words "as fit as a flea". In fact recently I got tested for diabetes (at my request), as it was as a result of complications that my Mum had passed away from, and my brother recently got diagnosed with diabetes. Two things stuck out for me resulting from the various tests that were carried out on me. My cholesterol levels are considered impressively low, and because I don't eat meat I am in a strong position to avoid a particular blood disorder commonly found in meat eaters (not sure what the blood disorder is).

I would say that becoming a vegan has been fun for me. Fun in the sense that it poses a challenge in the kitchen (and I love to cook), but that's the fun part. I have begun to experiment more with food, and enjoy my food more. The down side is vegans are hopelessly catered in terms of convenience food in places like sandwich bars, or local food stores (which can be frustrating when your on the go and you need to eat right). Thank goodness I work in town, travel a lot on the road so can check out local health shops around the country and have access to Nourish ( a health store in the Omni), and the Dublin Food Coop in town (when I can get to it).

So in summary, becoming a vegan has been for me and I only speak for me , it has been both ethically and morally the right one in terms of how I live my life. I am proud to say it also goes some of the way to defining me as a human being.

Just to finish on this, I went on an exhilarating 21 k (13 miles) run in the Phoenix Park this morning in glorious frost and sunshine. I am currently seeing a nutritionist as she is designing a dietary programme to maximise my muscle tone in the fullness that she is dealing with a vegan. I also have a personal trainer helping me tone up. All this is part of the journey I have been on, that I am absolutely loving. There is a part of me that wants to prove to the meat eating world that all their bluff and bluster about the "protein deficiency" in a non meat eating diet is just that, bluff and bluster, I will have fun along the way proving them wrong.

I think that's about it for now folks.

Are you saying that is not morrissey and is in fact you? Look very like him if it is the case!

Great post and nice to hear your story, seems like you are starting to enjoy yourself more and get to where you want to be in life. Great to have a job and lifestyle that you like have a passion for. Sounds like you'll be up for that full marathon in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

Hi there
    My name is Louisa, I have been vegetarian, sometimes vegan, since I was about 14 - nearly 25 years.. time flies! Currently vegan.
    Looking forward to getting to know you all :)
    L

• Advertisement

Welcome Louisa hope you enjoy your stay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

thanks for the welcome! :)
    anyone going to the veg soc annual lunch on saturday?

louisa

This is your friendly neighbourhood cat bubba!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Ha, I think this is actually how you can judge the smallness of Ireland; not by people also knowing people that you know, but by knowing cats that you know!

Bubba is my neighbour! She's my favourite cat (in Dublin). I like how she hides on top of the electricity box and pretends like she's not there then once you look at her she goes 'meeeeeeeeow I was here all along hahaha'

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

bubba is gorgeous!!!!!

Ha, I think this is actually how you can judge the smallness of Ireland; not by people also knowing people that you know, but by knowing cats that you know!

Bubba is my neighbour! She's my favourite cat (in Dublin). I like how she hides on top of the electricity box and pretends like she's not there then once you look at her she goes 'meeeeeeeeow I was here all along hahaha'

haha that is unreal! Do you live there? It's actually Tar that lives in that estate, I just see the cat a lot. It always recognises me and comes running over meowing looking for the rubs, I love it :D

Yeah, been living there a few months now. That's mad that Tar lives there too! I've never seen him, but then again I'm generally keeping my eyes peeled for Bubba and the other neighbourhood cats. She's the friendliest though. There's a black and white one near the entrance who seems to like to hang out but isn't around that often. There's two cats that circulate in the vicinity of my back garden but I think they think I am a crazy person. Just a glance of indifference and they go on their way! Oh well.

This is one of them:

B153FCE0AD9544A8B75E5E7134C238E2-0000329149-0002732478-00500L-F6E0EFD6309C44A98040C315414A1E03.jpg

haha you live in the same estate as me, weird! I'm down the end so it's a fair bit to the road. 2 cats living here ^_^

Here is one making herself comfortable on my bed as usual

mVTL6.jpg

When I moved in it was so scared for agesss, look at it's eyes! They would go even bigger as well.

mudbut.jpg

Bubba is an amazing cat, so friendly! Just runs to us miaowing. The one by the road has a little hitler like tache thing or is it the other one without the tache? I rubbed the former good!

Yeah, been living there a few months now. That's mad that Tar lives there too! I've never seen him, but then again I'm generally keeping my eyes peeled for Bubba and the other neighbourhood cats. She's the friendliest though. There's a black and white one near the entrance who seems to like to hang out but isn't around that often. There's two cats that circulate in the vicinity of my back garden but I think they think I am a crazy person. Just a glance of indifference and they go on their way! Oh well.

This is one of them:

That's coz he rarely leaves his bubble, it's quite hard to recognise him when there's a computer screen attached to his face. And he is not good at recognising people at all. I think theres more people than cats in that estate anyway :P

• Advertisement

haha you live in the same estate as me, weird! I'm down the end so it's a fair bit to the road. 2 cats living here ^_^

Bubba is an amazing cat, so friendly! Just runs to us miaowing. The one by the road has a little hitler like tache thing or is it the other one without the tache? I rubbed the former good!

I'm way down the back as well, it gets weirder! Yeah, it seems to take way longer on the way back from the main road than on the way in. Slight incline, I believe! Ah, you have cats actually in your house, I'm jealous now! I think it might have been the one with the tache but it's a while since I've seen him. But yes, he was very willing :p
    That's coz he rarely leaves his bubble, it's quite hard to recognise him when there's a computer screen attached to his face. And he is not good at recognising people at all. I think theres more people than cats in that estate anyway :P

Ha, perhaps. It's been a few years anyway. I'm mostly coming and going on my bike also and not really noticing who's about. Yeah it's a kitty hotspot all right. One of the reasons I took the house :pac:

Advertisement