Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with a small cut, does it need treatment?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

One of my indoor cats has a very small cut on her head. It appears like a scab was healing and has been scratched at and the wound is fresh again. I can’t believe that I didn’t notice it before now because, a) I watch them like a hawk and, b) she’s always rubbing my face and gets brushed often. The cut doesn’t appear deep but could there be a risk of it getting infected? Should I take her to the vet or nip in on my own for some advice / medication?

Thanks,

T4E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If it's not deep enough to need a stitch, and if there's no signs of infection (green pus, bad smell, etc) then it probably doesn't warrant a trip to the vet. I'd just keep an eye on it. For peace of mind you could clean it with cotton wool and boiled water with a pinch of salt. Clean away any grit or dirt, which can harbour bacteria. Once the wound is dry, you could put a little antiseptic spray or antiseptic powder on it, so long as it's a part of her head that she can't reach with her tongue! You can get animal-safe antiseptic sprays and powders in most chemists that do basic veterinary supplies. Don't use human ones like savlon or germolene as some of these are toxic to cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Thanks Boomerang. No sign of infection but I'll just give it a clean now with a cotton bud and boiled water (don't have salt in the house). Cut definitely does not require a stitch and it's between her ear and eye so she can't lick at it but it's in prime scratching area. Might nip to the chemist tomorrow for a safe anti-septic.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Warm salt water may help as well, put plenty of salt in a bowl and use some tissue or cotton pads to clean it. Even if it doesn't look infected or dirty the salt water will help keep it clean and dry it up a bit as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

my jack russel had a small cut on his face 8/9 days ago, I cleaned it and it looked ok so I didnty bring to the vet, it healed nicely and I thought no more of it.

Then sunday nite his cheek started to swell, monday it was massive! by the time we got to the vet tuesday the abcess had burst through the cheek :eek::eek:

this happened twice more later that evening the poor fella :(

He was in today, sedated, had it cleaned, course of antibiotics etc.

the vet *hopes* theres no foreign body left in there and this will be the end of it but were not 100% sure yet. its cost nearly 100 euro so far not to mention the pain/discomfort for my poor little man.

so long story short, even the smallest cut will be brought to the vet from now on right away. I would make an appt just in case if I were you. just my 0.02c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Taking her to the vet tomorrow just to be sure. Heading to UK for a few days next week so she's going to a kennel and I'd rather be 100% sure there's nowt to worry about. Hate putting them in the kennels and all... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah it's the thing with cats - cuts are often from other cats, and it's very possible that a tiny claw tip is left in there - though saying that, the vet may not spot that either and it's only when it does go to an abscess that the wound will clean itself out.

Advertisement