Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James May on Jonathan Ross Friday night

• 07-07-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Wossy said at the end of his show last week that May would be one of his guests this week. Old Captain Slow is quietly building up quite a TV career for himself - he's on the 3rd series of that wine travelogue and has done a piece on space travel lately AFAIK.

Yes admins, I know there's a 'Top Gear' section in Arts>TV but I don't like it over there...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Poor old Captain Slow gets so much slagging from Clarkson and the Hamster on Top Gear specifically about his sexual orientation, that I was starting to think he was gay, but on last week's show, they mentioned that he has a girlfriend. He makes a good straightman (no pun intended) to the other 2's jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Poor old Captain Slow gets so much slagging from Clarkson and the Hamster on Top Gear specifically about his sexual orientation, that I was starting to think he was gay, but on last week's show, they mentioned that he has a girlfriend. He makes a good straightman (no pun intended) to the other 2's jokes.
    No he is actually gay,They used the term GF as referance is all.

I dont think he'd be worth watching because outside top gear he is by no means funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well the motors forum certainly wasn't the place for it.
    Moved from motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I like watching him outside of TG. I don't find him really funny but I enjoy watching his shows. I enjoyed the one he done on sharks and some of the 20th century stuff.

I don't find TG to be all that funny. I'm in my 20s so maybe you have to be a teenager to find the show really funny.

edit: I preferred this in the motors forum. I'll remember to PM Alanstrainor if anything remotely mentions a TV show to be immediately moved to the TV forum. That Garda traffic show maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I enjoyed that wine series he did with Oz Clarke. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Mick K wrote: »
    No he is actually gay,They used the term GF as referance is all.

No he isn't. His girlfriend is Sarah Frater. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/theatre/Sarah%20Frater-critic-19-archive.do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yes! I love James, he's so sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

When you saw her pic, did anyone think ''Christ is that Lorraine from the Apprentice?''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

another fan of his non Top Gear stuff here too.
    Loved the 80's toy documentary he did also his Big Idea's series.
    Very relaxed and dry style about him that's very easy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just read about this on Wikipedia:
    In an interview with Richard Allinson on BBC Radio 2,[12] May confessed that he was fired in 1992 from Autocar magazine after putting together a hidden message in one issue. At the end of the year, the magazine's "Road Test Year Book" supplement was published. Each spread featured four reviews and each review started with a large, red letter. May's role was to put the entire supplement together, which "was extremely boring and took several months". He went on to say:

So I had this idea that if I re-edited the beginnings of all the little texts, I could make these red letters spell out a message through the magazine, which I thought was brilliant. I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was to the effect that "You might think this is a really great thing, but if you were sitting here making it up you'd realise it's a real pain in the arse". It took me about two months to do it and on the day that it came out I'd actually forgotten that I'd done it because there's a bit of a gap between it being "put to bed" and coming out on the shelves. When I arrived at work that morning everybody was looking at their shoes and I was summoned to the managing director of the company's office. The thing had come out and nobody at work had spotted what I'd done because I'd made the words work around the pages so you never saw a whole word. But all the readers had seen it and they'd written in thinking they'd won a prize or a car or something.

May's original message, punctuated appropriately, reads: "So you think it's really good, yeah? You should try making the bloody thing up. It's a real pain in the arse."[13]
    Legend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I heard that before. Fantastic story.

Advertisement