Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Rig

Options
  • 07-07-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Ok, basically, i have an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro going into an Ampeg 4x10HLF cab.

thats a 4ohm cab. and the head is giving out 4 ohms to it.

so thats fine. but now i want to get another cab. and not because i need it, and not even because i want to add to the stack particularly..
    I have recently joined a new band, but stayed with the old one.

I need 2 amps because lugging the head and cab around isnt practical. but thought just buying a second cab and carrying the head around would make more sense... but when/if i want to use the 2 cabs together. would this be ok for my head? the 2 cabs together (the 15inch one is ampeg too) 8 ohms and 4ohms = 2.66ohms in parallel...

(i know about the 200W thing on the 1x15 ampeg, im not worried about this as i wont be pushing it that much only with the two speakers together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

From looking online, the SVT-4 has a minimum rating of 600W@2ohm x 2. so you could connect two 4 ohm cabs in parallel to it no problem as long as there are two separate speaker connections.

If the heads lowest rating was 4 ohm, you should never load it lower than that, unless you want your transformer to melt! It wouldnt be anything to do with the volume either. you can load a 4 ohm head with an 8 ohm cab, but that will half your power output, but if you put 2 8 ohm cabs in parallel, you will half the resistance, and double the power. (Ohms law)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

But the two cabs i want to run arent both 4ohms... only the 4x10 is 4ohms. the 1x15 is 8ohms (i suppose they want you to hook up 2 1x15s to get the 4ohms)

If i just use 1 power amp, and hook them up in series... is there any benefit to this? and will the 2.66ohms be hurting the head?

So, what youre saying should still stand? using the 2 poweramps seperately, i should have no problem powering both cabs?
    thing is, i cant control each power amp independantly. so, with the 500W limit on 1 cab, and the 200W limit on the other. would this be a problem?
    (not sure if im explaining this part very clearly... i dont want to blow out the speakers on the 200W cab)

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

thanks for the link rigsby, thats really a useful link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The SVT4 is a dual amp. Do you mono bridge into the 410hlf?

Just use the amp in stereo mode and run the two cabs.

So the 4Ohms cab gets 490w and the 8Ohms cab gets 300w.

• Advertisement
Advertisement