Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tyres rubbing off wheel arches

• 07-07-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

hi all i've an 01 passat which is giving me a bit of trouble,whenever I have passengers in the back of the car and i go over a bump or a ramp i can hear the tyres rubbing off the wheel arches and it makes an awful sound,im just wondering as to what could be the cause of this,the car is fully standard no upgraded alloys and its not lowered or anything like that,although i did notice that one of the cv joints is on its way out as its making a clicking noise when i turn,im wondering if that could be related to the rubbing tyres?or could it be a suspension problem?,
    any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sounds like you need new shocks/springs.
    Once springs get old they start to get saggy and putting a few people in the car will show it up quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sounds like you need new shocks/springs.
    Once springs get old they start to get saggy and putting a few people in the car will show it up quickly.
    cool,do you know if this is a big/pricey job for a mechanic to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not that big of a job but it can be pricey, depending on what kind of shocks and springs you get.
    Price the bits from GSF and see what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

triple-M wrote: »
    hi all i've an 01 passat which is giving me a bit of trouble,whenever I have passengers in the back of the car and i go over a bump or a ramp i can hear the tyres rubbing off the wheel arches and it makes an awful sound,im just wondering as to what could be the cause of this,the car is fully standard no upgraded alloys and its not lowered or anything like that,although i did notice that one of the cv joints is on its way out as its making a clicking noise when i turn,im wondering if that could be related to the rubbing tyres?or could it be a suspension problem?,
    any advice appreciated

Are you sure it's not the mud-flaps rubbing off the ground? Better to make sure it's not something simple before condemning anything.

Are you sure it's not the mud-flaps rubbing off the ground? Better to make sure it's not something simple before condemning anything.
    i doubt it as the sound is quite loud,

• Advertisement

So are mud-flaps scraping off tarmac! Have a look at your tyres to see if there is any damaged/excessively worn areas where it would be rubbing along the wheel arch - check the bottom of the mud-flaps while you're down there.

just out of interest,if it was the springs or the shocks causing the problem,would this need to be done urgently or could i put it on the long finger for about 2 months if i was to drive carefully for the time being as funds are quite low, same for the cv joint thats on its way out too,i'd get it done tomorrow if i thought there was a chance of further damage to the car but if i could leave it be for now that would be good,i drive about 30 miles a day mostly on m50

So are mud-flaps scraping off tarmac! Have a look at your tyres to see if there is any damaged/excessively worn areas where it would be rubbing along the wheel arch - check the bottom of the mud-flaps while you're down there.
    hmmm...hopefully your right i'll look into it in the mornin,
    thanks

You'd want to get the cv joint done asap - it'll cost a lot more if it fails and the car has to be recovered from the side of the road.
    The shocks and springs should be alright, but I wouldn't leave them off any longer than necessary.
    If you want to put your mind at ease, call into your mechanic and ask him to check them out - it's hard to determine the condition of the components over a few posts!

Advertisement