Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

merlie wrote: »
    It is also quite possible it has to do with TV3 gearing up for the St. Patrick's celebrations!!

Gearing up for Paddys Day with movies like Alfie and reruns of the Graham Norton show? Doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

They took the show off before, so it is not a new thing to me. Just waiting to see if they are indeed ceasing to broadcast this 'show' here!

They took the show off before, so it is not a new thing to me. Just waiting to see if they are indeed ceasing to broadcast this 'show' here!

I know it might only be a rumour because of missing listings, but this combined with absolutely dire caller numbers, the prize pots being pitiful due to awful call ins(one night it was €20 or €30 for one puzzle), the constant BAI upheld complaints all lead to the realistic speculation that the "missing from the listing" fact is the end of the show. And it's not as if it's being pulled in favour of something else, it's just being axed for re-runs.

I know it might only be a rumour because of missing listings, but this combined with absolutely dire caller numbers, the prize pots being pitiful due to awful call ins(one night it was €20 or €30 for one puzzle), the constant BAI upheld complaints all lead to the realistic speculation that the "missing from the listing" fact is the end of the show. And it's not as if it's being pulled in favour of something else, it's just being axed for re-runs.

Yea, I understand what you mean especially with the prize money being pittance! We shall wait and see what happens.

Ok, just did some hunting online and got some confirmation about this, and yes it would seem that this show is going to be axed.

Check out this out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV3_%28Ireland%29

Scroll to the part where the heading is: Play TV Controversy and to the last part of it.

Here is the quote:"On the 4th of March 2010 it was announced that TV3 had axed the controversial program. The last show is due to be aired on March 13 2010."

So there we have it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Wikipedia doesn't confirm anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Is Aoife the new(est) girl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Here is the quote:"On the 4th of March 2010 it was announced that TV3 had axed the controversial program. The last show is due to be aired on March 13 2010."

So there we have it!!

The rest of that is quite well referenced, however that last part has no reference. Where on the 4th of March can we see something that tells us that TV3 axed the infomercial?

Well it is some evidence after the fact, that something is obviously happening because there is no show after March the 13th on the tv guides.

And yes I would agree that Wikipedia doesn't confirm anything but there is just that quote at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am sure the papers are doing some research and by that actually are asking TV3 for a comment.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I am sure the papers are doing some research and by that actually are asking TV3 for a comment.

What will the papers do without a press release?

I do know that some journos have contacted TV3 for a comment. So we should know by this evening.
    TV3 are hoping that it can axe the show with no publicity and that no one would notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Wikipedia doesn't confirm anything.
    I beg to differ, wikipedia is pure fact. Check out Ryle Nugents page, last line in the 'style' paragraph, there's no way that can be a lie!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryle_Nugent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

some Gob****e with an O2 dongle and no wikipedia account made those edits to the TV3 page. has about as much value as the paper the wikipedia page is written on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

some Gob****e with an O2 dongle and no wikipedia account made those edits to the TV3 page. has about as much value as the paper the wikipedia page is written on.

Billy, What's happening now...? Is it being axed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Is anyone hosting a PlayTV final episode house party tonight? :)

UPC EPG has updated. my box in now set to record Alien Versus Predator.

looks like Play TV has been 86ed.

now have to figure out how to stop it from recording at that time.

robbie99 wrote: »
    Is anyone hosting a PlayTV final episode house party tonight? :)

Are you sure it's ending tonight?

BMollie wrote: »
    Are you sure it's ending tonight?

good point, it could be a new variation on those damn last moments

anyhoo

most recent mention of play TV in the news refers only to the three upheld complaints.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0302/1224265431008.html

your bog standard summary of BAI press statement.

• Advertisement

It certainly appears so.

I have spoken to two well respected journalists and they are seeking an official statement from TV3.

Just checked Wikipedia for PlayTV and under FUTURE:

"Show does not appear on TV3 listings after March 13"

"Some Sky Ireland customers reported that the programme was no longer present on their Electronic Programming Guide after the morning of Sat.6th."

So when do you all reckon it will finish?

BMollie wrote: »
    Just checked Wikipedia for PlayTV and under FUTURE:

"Show does not appear on TV3 listings after March 13"

"Some Sky Ireland customers reported that the programme was no longer present on their Electronic Programming Guide after the morning of Sat.6th."

So when do you all reckon it will finish?

well considering it was I who wrote that particular quote, I have no idea.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Just an observation here.

It's strange how more detailed the official rules are for Canada's website compared with Ireland's terms and conditions.,

I just had a look online and I am really surprised that they never went to any lengths to put this necessary stuff out there here.

I would post the links to it but I am not sure if I am allowed to do so. In any case you can look it up I am sure.

I think it's a case of starting with the absolute minimum required by law and expand as and when required.

I think the link has been posted before.

Did the herald have anything?

• Advertisement

A search of herald.ie returned 72 results for TV3 in the las t week. that is shocking.

A search of herald.ie returned 72 results for TV3 in the las t week. that is shocking.

All good news I imagine. (Indo in general TBH)

its all robbie99s fault for not letting the rest of us win on those damn triangle games. :D

Elmo wrote: »
    All good news I imagine. (Indo in general TBH)
    The Indo/Herald won't say a bad word about TV3. Sure many of their journalists also do work for TV3.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The Indo/Herald won't say a bad word about TV3. Sure many of their journalists also do work for TV3.

Next you will be telling me that Brendan O'Connor will be singing the praises of RTÉ <<< sarcastic.

• Advertisement

call up tonight "I thought Alien versus predator was on, oh crap , that's tomorrow night, sorry."

sweet jesus, is this woman serious?
    I forgot to tell Ray when talking about the 'TV3 look' that the 'on air' women in TV3 get weighed once a week. The men don't have to, built like thoroughbreds, the lot.

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/colette-fitzpatrick-why-im-chief-cheerleader-for-show-that-fills-me-with-glee-2090017.html

ok hands in the air, i fell for it. but it seems so damn credible to be honest
    Disclaimer. If, by the end of this column you still believe the women get weighed in TV3, you're way too gullible and would probably fall for the same one we tell the work experience: 'I'll be in my trailer...'

heh trailer trash.

Colette Fitzpatrick
    Enough said.

come to think of it. if TV3 did weigh their female presenters, would we be reading about it in the herald?

come to think of it. if TV3 did weigh their female presenters, would we be reading about it in the herald?

We are reading about it in the Herald when the don't. :rolleyes:

Nope. That would would come from the equality authority.

RTÉ Bully, TV3 Weigh In, Equality Authority writes to the BAI.

It's official!
    TV3 GROUP RELEASE
    IMMEDIATE: Friday 5th March 2010

TV3 ANNOUNCES THAT IT IS NOT RENEWING THE PLAY TV SERVICE

TV3 announces that it is not renewing the Play TV service. We would like to thank Telemedia for their professional service which gave TV3 the revenue to prevent further job cuts at the low point of the recession. The service was very popular with viewers but recently viewership to the service has declined.

TV3 will likely introduce different interactive services to the station subject to viewer demand. Commercial revenues from interactive services such as Play TV are an important source of funding for TV3 since TV3 receives no licence fee income. The revenue is used to fund the constantly increasing output of Irish programming, now accounting for over a third of TV3’s schedule; and has helped TV3 to produce award winning programming.

TV3 has made an excellent start to 2010 with viewer numbers up over 5%, building on the increases achieved in 2009. Neilsen data shows TV3 is the only terrestrial channel viewed in Ireland (including the UK channels) to increase its share in 2010; and 3e has rapidly become one of the top three digital channels in the market.

Ends.

Notes to editor:

PLAY TV commenced in May 2009. The service was an “infomercial” which ran between 12 midnight and 3am. Telemedia, the service provider, broadcasts similar programmes in most European countries.

TV3 won three of the major awards at the recently held IFTA’s: Best News Programme (News at 5.30); Best Factual Programme (Tonight with Vincent Browne); and Best Entertainment Series (The Apprentice)

Please see attached ratings data from Nielsen for January and February 2010, and for the full year 2009.

For further information:
    Maureen Catterson
    TV3 PRESS OFFICE

Well, everyone, it's been a beautiful journey....

Well is tonight the last night ? Would love to see JG back just for the one night

• Advertisement

Conor Pope on Twitter
    Tv3 has cancelled its contract with PlayTV with immediate affect. The last programme will be broadcast tonight.

If the contract was just allowed to expire, why did it require the changing of programme guides.

I smell bovine excrament.

Conor Pope on Twitter

If the contract was just allowed to expire, why did it require the changing of programme guides.

I smell bovine excrament.

I've heard of some clauses in contracts that if there are a certain number of upheld complaints from broadcasting authorities (in the UK or Ireland), they're allowed can the show with no notice on a policy basis.

Just announced on Matt Cooper Show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard it. No loss to broadcasting.

is Cooper going to cover it more or did he just mention it.

Just mentioned it.

One must dust down the DVD recorder.

The last show will be a keeper. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

One must dust down the DVD recorder.
    You have a DVD recorder?

• Advertisement

In the attic.