Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

highnc wrote: »
    thanks for the good memories!! if i was to pick my favourite "moment" of that video, it's the last few seconds when playTV in Ireland ends forever!!
    Is that the bit when the picture goes BLACK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dcr22B wrote: »
    Only she hasn't been, she told me herself ;)
    So is she going to stay on in Budapest doing some other quiz for an english speaking country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Bond-007 wrote: »
    So is she going to stay on in Budapest doing some other quiz for an english speaking country?
    That's what she reckons anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭highnc

JG is probably giving her some italian lessons for the Italian PlayTV...mama mia!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

dcr22B wrote: »
    That's what she reckons anyway.

Hopefully it will be under the watchful eye of a regulator with teeth like Ofcom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

JG Murphy - Posters for your Bedroom.

Water

69ndhu.jpg

Bad Back

vnc8jt.jpg

Posing

44arp.jpg

€2000 for a STD. Those were the days!

JG Murphy - Posters for your Bedroom.

Water

Bad Back

Posing

That's BMollie's new bedroom wallpaper sorted!

The Poses of JG

33mo2ms.jpg

2432r6a.jpg

29v0393.jpg

2njx8n7.jpg

axkpu.jpg

He wore it well. Casual and the famous white runners.

2qswk5g.jpg

And there it goes. No more "and that's your viewing for this Saturday evening. Join us bright and early tomorrow for another great lineup/Ireland AM"

• Advertisement

Suffering with withdrawal.
    Try the game.
    You know the PTV rules.

106932.jpg

Have fun.
    Goodnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

33mo2ms.jpg

Heil_Hitler.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    Suffering with withdrawal.
    Try the game.
    You know the PTV rules.

106932.jpg

Have fun.
    Goodnight

I'd say 7^584?

I see someone has butchered the Play TV Wikipedia page.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

I see someone has butchered the Play TV Wikipedia page.

Can it be verified that it is THE JG Murphy who edits that page from time to time or just someone using his name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 PlayTVFan

I'd say 7^584?

4E811

For the first time in a long long time, I am getting an early night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

God just watched the youtube video of the last ten minutes of the show. She does sound pissed. Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

Would Derval, Fiona, Aoife and Lauren get a job on 3e with a phone in their hand on the teleshopping programme, which is on now,

girls in skimpy outfits waiting for a call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Right that's it, I'm really pissed off with Play TV. Last nights game was ridiculous.
    There was no presenter, no explanation of the game. Look at the screenshot, think it was a STD but it was very difficult as the pictures kept moving and changing.

Also noted there was no phone number on screen and no explanation of answer at the end. What is going on?

Alien-vs-Predator-ff01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Only one night gone and already I'm going

cold_turkey_CoolClips_cart0306.jpg

Any of the sundays worth purchasing?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Right that's it, I'm really pissed off with Play TV. Last nights game was ridiculous.
    There was no presenter, no explanation of the game. Look at the screenshot, think it was a STD but it was very difficult as the pictures kept moving and changing.

Also noted there was no phone number on screen and no explanation of answer at the end. What is going on?

thats fiona on the right and derval on the left. the latter was helping the former with a puzzle.

Any of the sundays worth purchasing?
    There is an article in the Sunday Tribune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Agonist wrote: »
    Go Harvey Go, I need to see a post from you so I can thank it. You were so generous with your thanks in this thread :)

I guess that was because there were so many great comments made during the show's run. :):D

I ended up missing most of the final episode including the end - I couldn't help but pay more attention to the brunette on Brain Box, and after that finished, I couldn't keep my eyes open...

But it clearly wasn't much of a final curtain anyway.

And boy, does the midnight to 3am slot on TV3 look unfamiliar now...

PlayTV Ireland RIP
    25 May 2009 - 6 March 2010

• Advertisement

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/mar/07/plunge-in-calls-killed-off-play-tv/
    Plunge in calls killed off 'Play TV'
    Ken Foxe, Public Affairs Correspondent

THE number of people entering a controversial TV3 quiz show had dwindled so much that the station was forced to call back entrants who had entered the competition online.

Play TV, which has now been scrapped by the station, had 26 complaints against it upheld by the Broadcasting Authority, and its predecessor the Broadcasting Complaints Commission.

A decision was made in recent weeks to jettison the show and Play TV vanished from the scheduling. TV3 then made an official announcement that the service was being dropped following enquiries by the Sunday Tribune.

One viewer, who had a number of complaints against the service upheld, said he had monitored the service in its final weeks and the number of calls being received, as posted on the show's website, was in terminal decline.

"The call levels had dropped from around 200 per minute to around 50 to 60 per minute for the first hour in recent times," he said.

"After the first hour, call levels were persistently below 10 per minute with periods where there were no calls per minute being recorded.

"They had got to the stage where they had no callers at the end of the show so they had to call back people who had entered via the website."

In its early days, TV3 had been getting up to 200 calls per minute, which at €1.50 for each call, was offering potential revenue of up to €18,000 per hour.

"The service was very popular with viewers but recently viewership to the service has declined," said a TV3 statement.

The Broadcasting Authority found that the operation of Play TV had been "misleading and unfair".

March 7, 2010

It seems that the rulings of the BAI in January and all the negative publicity in the media at the time was really the beginning of the end of the show.

Shows how stupid they were. If they had had an honest game with legit and entertaining games (not bloody STD's) then I'm sure the show would still be on the air and making money for them.

Instead they were greedy, lied and deceived the public and have now paid the ultimate price. So the demise is to be welcomed.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that posted in this thread over the last 7 months or so. 17000+ replies is testament to the outrage that Play TV caused amongst the readers of boards.ie. From memory only 4 bans were issued during the course of the thread which shows that an emotive subject like this could be calmly discussed without much moderation being needed.

I would like to thank everyone for their exemplary good conduct and professional attitude for the last few months. I would especially like to thank Billy and Auld Yin for the many screen-shots which made scrutinising the games all that easier. I would also like to thank everyone else for their analysis and opinions on the games.

It is a shame that it all ended so suddenly but the fact it ended shows how a group of concerned people can make their views felt and bring about change. Today Play TV, tomorrow the government. ;)

It has been a pleasure and a privilege to work with you all and I hope that we all keep posting elsewhere on boards.ie.

This thread will remain open for people to post their views or even just to say hi. It certainly felt strange last night without it being on. A number of us still have active complaints with the BAI and we will be continuing with them to a conclusion.

I am no good at speeches so I shall leave it at that.

cashback wrote: »
    God just watched the youtube video of the last ten minutes of the show. She does sound pissed. Or something.
    Maybe not

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that posted in this thread over the last 7 months or so.

and i'm sure everyone will join me in thanking Bond for moderating the thread so professionally at very unsociable hours of the night! job well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

RIP PlayTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jsemple

I haven't really kept up with PlayTV much this year, only catching it occasionally and checking the thread every few days but I do have to say I am really surprised how much of an effect all the effort in the thread made, I can think of no reason they wouldn't still be going today if it weren't for the complaints sent (granted some were probably sent from people who have no idea about this thread but still)

Telemedia aren't the only company going to suffer, I heard a certain telephone provider were kept afloat during the recession by Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭enigmatiq

murpho999 wrote: »

Excellent bit of satire there - love it! ;)

That's one of the producers on the right explaining to Aoife on left that being a presenter on the show does involve speaking occasionally. And possibly even moving from time to time.

:D

enigmatiq wrote: »
    Excellent bit of satire there - love it! ;)

That's one of the producers on the right explaining to Aoife on left that being a presenter on the show does involve speaking occasionally. And possibly even moving from time to time.

:D

Cheers, don't think alot of people realised that Alien v Predator was on at midnight last night! Either that or my joke was crap!:)
    Anyhow, 2nd night in and I'm missing Play TV, despite it being absolute crap!

Who's starting the campaign to bring it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I miss it too oddly enough :(

*sniff* this time last week it would've been on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

Last night I went into withdrawals .....so I ended up falling asleep on the sofa. Woke up at about 5a.m. and was delighted that it was past 3a.m. so sleep got me over that first night.

It all ended so quickly...even if we could have had a few days notice...but bam..like a flash..and gone! I am going to miss all the banter, the funny remarks, and the great wit and all the boardsies. (I have enough cats here at home, and I won't be using a tourist bus) although I heard there was one up for sale - (check Ben Dunne site :p). What memories we all have, and we enjoyed it all so much....Thanks again BOND for starting this off...and also for leaving this thread open for us to keep our posts going.

One of memories that will stay with me is the image of Lauren coming out. clumsily carrying the 2 giant matchsticks.... she must have felt so silly. And telling us to "drink the coffee to stay awake and get out the spaghetti and pretend they are matches"

Let's all stay in touch.

BMollie wrote: »
    Last night I went into withdrawals .....so I ended up falling asleep on the sofa. Woke up at about 5a.m. and was delighted that it was past 3a.m. so sleep got me over that first night.
    I prescribe:
    Start at Post #1 then read one day's posts. Continue nightly until natural living is restored!
    It all ended so quickly...even if we could have had a few days notice...but bam..like a flash..and gone! I am going to miss all the banter, the funny remarks, and the great wit and all the boardsies. (I have enough cats here at home, and I won't be using a tourist bus) although I heard there was one up for sale - (check Ben Dunne site :p). What memories we all have, and we enjoyed it all so much....Thanks again BOND for starting this off...and also for leaving this thread open for us to keep our posts going.

One of memories that will stay with me is the image of Lauren coming out. clumsily carrying the 2 giant matchsticks.... she must have felt so silly. And telling us to "drink the coffee to stay awake and get out the spaghetti and pretend they are matches"

Let's all stay in touch.

107078.jpg

107078.jpg
    Sweet Jesus! :eek:

I think Fiona also played with big ones but I just don't have (or can't find) a pic.

She did to be sure. ;)

JG may have even used them at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Catch-up time. It's only the last 8 mins approx. but that's bad enough:

Thanks for putting that up Auld-Yin, I'll treasure it! You wouldn't mind adding 'PlayTV Ireland' as a tag to it? It'll make it easier to find this historical piece on Youtube :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭matty_fryatt

i would like to award an oscar to j.g.,derval,aoife,fiona and lauren for their great acting,pretending games were hard when they were easy and easy when they were hard e.g. the cats on the bus was obviously unclear and the presenter said all you have to do is get a calculator or with the match sticks,you can even use pasta or spoons as derval said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭matty_fryatt

She did to be sure. ;)

JG may have even used them at one stage.

I remember JG using the giant match sticks because he said these are John "the Bull" Hayes's matchsticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Catch-up time. It's only the last 8 mins approx. but that's bad enough:

Is she pissed in this video?

robbie99 wrote: »
    Thanks for putting that up Auld-Yin, I'll treasure it! You wouldn't mind adding 'PlayTV Ireland' as a tag to it? It'll make it easier to find this historical piece on Youtube :)
    Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Here is a little clip I put together of some of favourite bits from the last year's viewing. It's been emotional fellas, this is me saying my goodbyes so, 'it's been great tuning into you'. :)

Done.

I see you added the tags now (thanks!) but can you make 'Play' and 'TV' one word - 'PlayTV'? At the moment(!) the tags are still bit generic and a 'PlayTV' tag will be the one that works best. Thanks!

robbie99 wrote: »
    I see you added the tags now (thanks!) but can you make 'Play' and 'TV' one word - 'PlayTV'? At the moment(!) the tags are still bit generic and a 'PlayTV' tag will be the one that works best. Thanks!
    Already done
    added another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hope they put some of the props up for sale on ebay, eg. the matchsticks, the conveyor belt, and the Hungarian ATM

• Advertisement

added another

You can't add that one without doing a compilation (hint hint) ;) :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement