Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You know I have to say fair play to the regulars here. This thread could have been a nightmare, but there were only about 45 reported posts since July last year (when this thread was created). Yep, I counted. :)

Only 45 reported posts out of 17,000+ is pretty remarkable.

Fair play to Bond-007 for keeping on top of it, and a small ironic smile that it was Bondvillain that reported the first dodgy post. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

robbie99 wrote: »
    You can't add that one without doing a compilation (hint hint) ;) :pac:
    Already working on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭matty_fryatt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You would think she would be keen to remove Play TV from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

Fiona was looking for a Yippee or Yahoo for the last word - pity she didn't ring Mary back and she could have a big YAY :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Hold on guys... The same presenters are also involved in the US edition?

Is this new or has it been pointed out before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

none of these clips will have anything on Quizmania tho:

That is Play TV Canada. The US version was forced off the air.

That is news that Derval is moonlighting on Play TV Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The US version was forced off the air.

Unlike the Irish Version ;)

That depends on who you ask. ;)

• Advertisement

That is Play TV Canada. The US version was forced off the air.

That is news that Derval is moonlighting on Play TV Canada.

So she went from PLAYTV at 3a.m. to Canadian one immediately afterward, with the 5 to 6 hr.difference....And it look's like it's comiing from the same studio. Or maybe on her nights off (as we thought) she was doing the show..
    Were the others doing it as well. I'm sure Mike in Canada would be very interested to hear this.
    Who came across this video???
    It's almost like opening a can of worms :confused:

BMollie wrote: »
    So she went from PLAYTV at 3a.m. to Canadian one immediately afterward, with the 5 to 6 hr.difference....And it look's like it's comiing from the same studio. Or maybe on her nights off (as we thought) she was doing the show..
    Were the others doing it as well. I'm sure Mike in Canada would be very interested to hear this.

I found it whilst looking for clips from the last ever Irish one
    (Sorry I know that sounded pompous, I just love saying 'whilst' :D )

Yeah it's a bit like unmasking a huge global conspiracy at this point
    "Keep pulling the sweater baby... Eventually the whole thread will unravel" - Zoolander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Cpt.Jack

r.i.p

dcr22B wrote: »
    Only she hasn't been, she told me herself ;)

(above referring to Fiona about her getting the boot)

So now we know why she is staying in Hungary...Goodness knows how many of the shows are done from there.
    Good on Hatrickpatrick for finding that one... "skeletons in the closet" :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

PlayTV Canada's website...

http://calltv.com/playtvcanada/index.php?page=home

They don't have a Presenters page like with the Ireland one.

PlayTV Canada's website...

http://calltv.com/playtvcanada/index.php?page=home

They don't have a Presenters page like with the Ireland one.
    They just find whoever is wandering around the building and stick them on.

It seems they have expanded their Canadian operations. There was never a west coast version before. Also it was only 1 hour for the east coast version. It has expanded to 2 hours on a Friday night and 1 hour on a Saturday. Things must be going well for them hence why the familiar faces are appearing.

I'm looking at the Canada times and it appears that they're only on 2 nights a week.
    Global TV Ontario
    Friday Night / Saturday
    2am to 4am Eastern

Saturday Night / Sunday
    2am to 3am Eastern

Global TV British Columbia
    Friday Night / Saturday
    2am to 4am Pacific
    If you translate those to Budapest time you get the following schedule...

Friday Night
    01:00 - 04:00 PlayTV Ireland (3 hrs)
    04:00 - 10:00 4 hour lunch break ?
    08:00 - 10:00 PlayTV Canada (Ontario, 2hr)
    10:00 - 12:00 PlayTV Canada (British Columbia, 2hr)

Saturday Night

01:00 - 04:00 PlayTV Ireland (3 hrs)
    04:00 - 08:00 4 hour lunch break ?
    08:00 - 09:00 PlayTV Canada (Ontario, 1hr)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I often wondered why the girls used to say 'I have to be up for work in the morning too'. That could explain it. On another note, could JG be doing the Italian version if there is one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

Is that not the Canadian version still going?

EDIT: Just seen Bonds post, it is the Canada version

And I had to look closely at the picture to make sure it was grapes she was attempting to put in her mouth, I swear at first for quite a few seconds I thought it was something else!

http://www.uk.castingcallpro.com/view.php?uid=157280

Apparently she's on a South African equivalent as well.

The plot thickens immensely...

We'll be like a bunch of disillusioned wartime soldiers or protesters, so used to their life of opposition that once their aim is achieved they branch out to take on wider and wider forces...

THE ILLUMINATI ARE BEHIND THIS I TELL YOU!!!
    TO THE FLAMING TORCHES!!!

• Advertisement

They must have serious trouble getting native Canadians or South Africans to front their shows.
    We'll be like a bunch of disillusioned wartime soldiers or protesters, so used to their life of opposition that once their aim is achieved they branch out to take on wider and wider forces...
    We shall simply become mercenaries, soldiers of fortune. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

We shall simply become mercenaries, soldiers of fortune. ;)

cue the A-Team music

I often wondered why the girls used to say 'I have to be up for work in the morning too'. That could explain it. On another note, could JG be doing the Italian version if there is one?

Two very good points there....I used to wonder about how they all said they had to be up for work in the morning...never JG..but the girls.
    I put it down to them adding it into the chat to make us (the public) not feel bad about being up so late. and encourage phone calls.

And agree, with JG's fluent Italian, he would be the ideal person to do the Italian version. (if one exists)?

The only video I saw from Canada must have been done quite a while ago.
    With an idiot of a guy. Pity they didn't have the board flow that we have had. And also from what i've read the Canadians are dealing with the main television company (licence payers).

Pity they didn't have the board flow that we have had. And also from what i've read the Canadians are dealing with the main television company (licence payers).

Global is owned by CanWest, former owners of TV3. CBC is the PSB in Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

telemedia made a youtube channel and left comments open. that is just asking for trouble.

They seem to love Aoife on that channel. A few videos of her there.

Sad music plays to an empty studio. those of us who have watched from the start will recognize this particular studio.

the best part is I didn't have to upload this. they uploaded it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Do you not mean a few STILLS of her there?

Yeah it's a bit like unmasking a huge global conspiracy at this point
    So now we know why she is staying in Hungary...Goodness knows how many of the shows are done from there.
    Good on Hatrickpatrick for finding that one... "skeletons in the closet" :eek::eek:

Check this out, particularly the intro, and the legs on the Polish presenter:)...

http://www.interactv.com/

:eek:

Sorry, I couldn't resist using that smiley :) but that link was posted on this thread a while back.

Basically, the company that produces these congame shows is called Telemedia InteracTV. The formats include General, Sports, Music and Fortune Teller. They produce "truly quality entertainment" for over 40 countries, broadcast by over 70 TV stations. The shows are produced in four locations - Hungary, China, Middle East and Argentina. Revenue is shared with the broadcaster. The presenters are supposed to be natives of the country they broadcast to. The hosts and editors receive "intensive training" and meet daily with the show directors accross all countries share ideas to "maximise call volumes".

It doesn't surprise me at all to see the studio being reused. It also doesn't surprise me if JG and Fiona who are both very talented (and now also experienced) presenters that ooze personality have a guaranteed role with telemedia despite not being native presenters for whatever other countries they may be earmarked for. I suppose Derval is also a good presenter who doesn't need prompting.

I guess the presenters must have been signed on longer contracts than the one with TV3 so they're keeping them busy!

• Advertisement

It's the voice... Oh how I will miss that voice :(

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I only just heard this finally got cancelled! It's been so long since I'd watched it, back in the days of JG Murphy. What a star :D

54 it was in January ??
    27 it is now in March ?
    Uncut.

0:35 "I'm waiting for somebody, I'm waiting for somebody in particular with this one, I expect to hear from him, the triangulator, robbie99, he's won I think two, possibly three, I can't remember but I know he's definitely won two."

6:25 "Challenge. You know who you are!"

10:05 "Now, robbie99 I'm raging!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Check this out, particularly the intro, and the legs on the Polish presenter:)...

http://www.interactv.com/

:eek:

Sorry, I couldn't resist using that smiley :) but that link was posted on this thread a while back.

Basically, the company that produces these congame shows is called Telemedia InteracTV. The formats include General, Sports, Music and Fortune Teller. They produce "truly quality entertainment" for over 40 countries, broadcast by over 70 TV stations. The shows are produced in four locations - Hungary, China, Middle East and Argentina. Revenue is shared with the broadcaster. The presenters are supposed to be natives of the country they broadcast to. The hosts and editors receive "intensive training" and meet daily with the show directors accross all countries share ideas to "maximise call volumes".

It doesn't surprise me at all to see the studio being reused. It also doesn't surprise me if JG and Fiona who are both very talented (and now also experienced) presenters that ooze personality have a guaranteed role with telemedia despite not being native presenters for whatever other countries they may be earmarked for. I suppose Derval is also a good presenter who doesn't need prompting.

I guess the presenters must have been signed on longer contracts than the one with TV3 so they're keeping them busy!
    Cool promo..these guys really fancy their product and its "high standards -ethical!!!!! and technical".....Billy's last clip is a good example!..cameraperson must have been on the gargle!!
    Many thanks to all the boardies esp Billy, robbie, Auld Yin for the informative, entertaining posts on this topic and success in its removal.. 12.00 last night and no Playtv - reminded me of having a bad tooth out..missing it but what a relief....next campaign lads???

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carolluke1

Well done to all who have lived here for the last nine months, a job well done. Congratulations to you all and thank you for a very enjoyable and enlightening time.

• Advertisement

Or a disguised version of 'count the legs' passing.

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/mail-on-sunday-london-england-the/mi_8003/is_2010_Feb_7/confessions-play-tv-girl-woman/ai_n49414313/?tag=content;col1

have you seen this?

Confessions of a Play TV girl; 'One woman, Mary, was so desperate my heart used to sink when I heard her voice. I was saying in my head, 'Mary, stop ringing and go to bed' I knew then I had to get out'; '

So Lauren wasn't so bad after all!!!!

I really don't know what to make of that article.

I doubt we will see confessions from Fiona and Derval anytime soon.

I really don't know what to make of that article.

I doubt we will see confessions from Fiona and Derval anytime soon.

That it isn't from a family news paper :) and that Lauren was duped just as much as Mary.

Lauren was duped just as much as Mary.
    I find that hard to believe. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I find that hard to believe. :rolleyes:

I don't know people could have conned her just as much. People get taken advantage of all the time, Lauren may not really have understood what her terms of employment were.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭enigmatiq

0:35 "I'm waiting for somebody, I'm waiting for somebody in particular with this one, I expect to hear from him, the triangulator, robbie99, he's won I think two, possibly three, I can't remember but I know he's definitely won two."

6:25 "Challenge. You know who you are!"

10:05 "Now, robbie99 I'm raging!"

:D

Robbie, I hate to disillusion you, but I think this is called Stockholm Syndrome!! :D

Stockholm Syndrome on Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    54 it was in January ??
    27 it is now in March ?
    Uncut.

Who is this?

Fiona Derval or Lauren?

Watched her one night when I was back home in Ireland and she was positively horrible!

Even someone who was complimenting her and shes propped herself on the bar couldn't really give a damn!

That would be Fiona Mulhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

That would be Fiona Mulhall.
    And she has left then so? How come do we know?

Who is this?

Fiona Derval or Lauren?

Watched her one night when I was back home in Ireland and she was positively horrible!

Even someone who was complimenting her and shes propped herself on the bar couldn't really give a damn!

That is Fiona ... the Other Mother.

Do you feel the response of TV3 was adequate? How did the BBC, ITV and C4 approach their problems with premium rate phone-ins a few years ago?

Do you feel the response of TV3 was adequate?
    They should have acted pro-actively and removed the show after the first round of upheld complaints. Instead they adopted the there is nothing wrong defence and brazened it out.
    How did the BBC, ITV and C4 approach their problems with premium rate phone-ins a few years ago?
    They didn't. They adopted the TV3 stance of we are doing no wrong. The regulator had to act to force the shows off the air.

...and there's a veiled threat/suggestion of introducing something similar in the future.
    Does the fact that their previous relationship with UTV suggest to anyone that there could be a link with brain box?
    Just an idle thought

Elmo wrote: »
    I don't know people could have conned her just as much. People get taken advantage of all the time, Lauren may not really have understood what her terms of employment were.

Thinking about the article, I reckon Lauren is a smart cookie, she saw the end coming and got out early.She gave the interview to try and save face here in Ireland and improve her chances of employment here. God help her!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement