Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

Just going carefully through the video posted here...it is obvious that Fiona was hoping that Roberto would get the open line. Even with the compliments from Gerry, she was too couldn't care less. I agree with the remark made on an earlier post about this that she really couldn't be bothered. It's Roberto she wanted, without a doubt! ;)

Also PLAYTV is advertised in tonight's tv listings in the Evening Herald.. :confused:

Almost a week now, this is our 6th night without it. "We will survive" ....anyway had a few early nights for a change

And she has left then so? How come do we know?

No, she's probably getting herself ready for to do the Canadian show tomorrow night! And the South African one tonight! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I haven't been able to locate footage of them on the South African show.

Enquiries are continuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I watched the Graham Norton Show for the first time last night at 'Play TV time'. Bloody good!! Gonna watch again tonight to try and wean myself off the cravings. Play TV Nicorette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

BMollie wrote: »

Also PLAYTV is advertised in tonight's tv listings in the Evening Herald.. :confused:

Even "threetext" had it on their schedule on page 173 all week, and even for today's schedule - they still have it up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    Does the fact that their previous relationship with UTV suggest to anyone that there could be a link with brain box?
    Just an idle thought

TV3 never had any reletionship with UTV (just gutter press :D )

UTV is a separate company to ITV. UTV hold the Channel 3 Franchise for Northern Ireland while ITV hold the licence for England and Wales after the merger of Granada (owners of TV3) and Carlton. The new company - ITV plc - took control of their shareholding of TV3 and in 2006 sold the share when Canwest pulled out of TV3.

I always found brianbox to be more trust worthy, I think it is because it is produced in the North. Not that I would ring or that it is actually trust worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

I got my telephone bill yesterday. €86 plus VAT. :(. It includes the madness of the last night when I fell for Fiona's charm and challenge and tried to get through. I honestly didn't think I attempted that often but it'd include all my attempts over the past month. Smart telecom must be charging around €2 per call.

On the plus side the first check arrived in the post this morning :). €150 from Feb 12th. It was posted yesterday, from Dublin, by Phonovation ltd. Happy days!

I would have said they had your number blacklisted. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I would have said they had your number blacklisted. ;)
    Only to the studio. They'd still accept the call fee.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 never had any reletionship with UTV (just gutter press :D )

UTV is a separate company to ITV. UTV hold the Channel 3 Franchise for Northern Ireland while ITV hold the licence for England and Wales after the merger of Granada (owners of TV3) and Carlton. The new company - ITV plc - took control of their shareholding of TV3 and in 2006 sold the share when Canwest pulled out of TV3.

I always found brianbox to be more trust worthy, I think it is because it is produced in the North. Not that I would ring or that it is actually trust worthy.

UTV were briefly involved in the early days but lack of agreement ended it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

UTV were briefly involved in the early days but lack of agreement ended it.

True but I don't think that represents a relationship. UTV were never happy with TV3 one of the reasons the pulled out and Canwest went in. And I think they thought about bring ITV to court about the price TV3 paid for ITV shows.

I haven't been able to locate footage of them on the South African show.

Enquiries are continuing.

I was googling last night re this, and only info. I coud get re South Africa show was that it's called 'Game Time' ZA. Couldn't come up with anymore info. It is a difficult one to find any footage of.

Did you manage to find out the channel and time it is on in South Africa?

Did you manage to find out the channel and time it is on in South Africa?
    No, unfortunately not. I spent a few hours looking for it. They have a lot of channels in S.A. and I didn't go through all of them.
    So maybe another search would tell us something. Will keep trying. They seem to be using the ZA.

Just something to whet the appetite about our Ms.Bannon.
    She was on the red carpet tonight, for the VIP Awards,in the Shelbourne Hotel, with an unkown gentleman. She was wearing an emerald green dress, (i've seen the pics) and must say she looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just something to whet the appetite about our Ms.Bannon.
    She was on the red carpet tonight, for the VIP Awards,in the Shelbourne Hotel, with an unkown gentleman. She was wearing an emerald green dress, (i've seen the pics) and must say she looks great.

She was hardly up for an acting award was she?

murpho999 wrote: »
    She was hardly up for an acting award was she?

No, just on the scene promoting herself! Well we all know she's a good actress...plenty of intense training there.
    I think PTV is a distant memory for her now. (Long way from 2 sandwiches and one apple)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I tried to enter online but got this message:
    Sorry but you can only enter PlayTV when the live competition is running. Please check your TV-guide at www.tv3.ie Welcome back!

:(

What were you trying to achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

What were you trying to achieve?

Nothing really, although in the suggestions box I did ask them to bring it back :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

Nothing really, although in the suggestions box I did ask them to bring it back :o

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!!

And then we'll have to start the process all over again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its on over in Spain as well - mother was over there and saw it, even took a picture of the TV to show me, I'll upload it when I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 PlayTVFan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

Was it wrong of me to select the Ahora o Nunca video in the bottom right hand corner, how weird was it of me to select that particular video, even if they are fake ahem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Was it wrong of me to select the Ahora o Nunca video in the bottom right hand corner, how weird was it of me to select that particular video, even if they are fake ahem

I'd say your eyes are hanging out of their sockets from repeat watching of this! :D:D:D Maybe we could track her down for you. A holiday on the costa brava might be a good option for you this year :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭alanatoday

cast_iron wrote: »

Can you imagine the prank calls to play tv ireland if she was hosting it! :eek::o

See PTV Canada is being axed on 26th March. Delighted for them.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

alanatoday wrote: »
    Can you imagine the prank calls to play tv ireland if she was hosting it! :eek::o

What size are her "basketballs"???

Has this been shut down yet?? someone told me today it was AXED?!?!?!?!?!

• Advertisement

Has this been shut down yet?? someone told me today it was AXED?!?!?!?!?!

Ends 26th March!

Source?

Source?
    90b42c83d624c29abdfa860cf419b9d1?s=48&d=http%3A%2F%2F1.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D48Jeremy said on PlayTV Canada is a Scam

November 2, 2009 at 6:36 pm
    Canwest
    Tuesday March 16, 2010
    Jeremy B
    RE: Your comp’aint concerning Play-TV Canada
    (CBSC FUe C09/1O-1132)
    Dear Mr. B:
    We are in receipt of your letter via the CBSC regarding Global Television’s broadcast of Play-
    TV Canada, February 20th 2010, on Global Toronto (CIII).
    In your letter, you have expressed concerns regarding this show suggesting it may be a
    scamming game show, with no logical answers to impossible questions.
    Let me begin by saying that as responsible broadcasters, we are sensitive to the members of
    our viewing audience and we apologize if this program has offended you. I assure you that it
    is neither Global’s nor the producer’s intention to do so. As of March 2010, our contract
    with Play TV will end and the show will no longer air on Global Television.
    Under The Broadcasting Act, broadcasters are required to provide a broad spectrum of
    entertainment and information programming for “men, women and children of all ages,
    interests and tastes”, Television programming is required to be diverse and appealing to a
    wide range of audiences. As a result, what one viewer might consider an interesting or
    informative program might lead another to turn the channel.
    Global Television adheres to the television rating system created by the Canadian Association
    of Broadcasters (CAB) and the Action Group on Violence on Television (AGVOT). This public
    rating system is intenaed to advise viewers of a program’s content in order to allow you, the
    viewer to determine a program’s suitability for your own viewing needs and desires. As
    required, an on-screen key airs for the first fifteen seconds of the program and matching V -
    Chip data is encoded into our transmission for the entire duration of the program.
    Play-TV Canada is rated 18+. Programming with this classification contains themes suitable for
    viewers (and possible participants) 18 or older. We also air the following advisory coming out
    of each commercial break, so that viewers can make an informed decision whether they wish
    to watch (or participate in) the program:
    The following program requires participants to be 18 years or older. Viewer discretion is
    advised.
    Independently produced, Play-TV is paid programming which consists of’ a series of puzzles,
    riddles, trivia and other general knowledge and skill testing questions, (collectively, the
    “Quizzes” and individually, a “Quiz”) which viewers will be invited to solve interactively during
    the live broadcast of televised episodes of the television program entitled Play-TV Canada (the
    “Program”).
    121 Bloor Street East
    Suite 1500
    Toronto, ON M4W 3M5
    canwest.com CANWEST & DESIGN is a traderoark of Catwest Global Corrrrrroticatiots Corp. Used orrder license.
    Please note there are crawls at the bottom of the screen in addition to verbal mentions made
    continually throughout the telecast informing viewers that once they decide to play, they will
    be charged $L99 per call regardless of if they are randomly selected to go live to air or not.
    Again, this is explained both on-air by the host and on the show’s website.
    For further information please visit the Play TV website at:
    According to the Producer of Play-TV, all puzzles have robust audited methodology. This
    audited methodology means that there is only one correct solution to the puzzle and question,
    and that this solution is checked and audited. Not disclosing the methodology, (having this
    formula for counting) does not mean there is any trickery or anything hidden in the puzzle.
    Everyone viewing has an equal chance to calculate the answer and all telephone and on-line
    entrants then have the same chance to be randomly selected to come live to air to answer the
    puzzle.
    Where appropriate and applicable, the Producer’s puzzles are first checked and validated by a
    computer program, and the one and only answer is then checked again by the show director,
    prior to broadcast. The answer to the puzzle is then handed in a sealed envelope to the host
    and he or she opens it live on air, either (1) immediately if the correct answer is given by a
    viewer, or (2) at or near the end of the show if the correct answer is not given by a viewer.
    This ensures a fair and open process as the answer cannot be changed once it has been
    approved by the computer, double checked and placed in the sealed envelope. Please be
    assured our audited system is supervised and checked regularly. How the answer is reached
    is not explained because these puzzles often follow the same format – to explain how one was
    calculated is providing the formulas for many others; that would not allow all viewers to be on
    an even playing field.
    You, the viewer, are our valued customer. As such we strive to ensure that our viewers will
    continue to watch our programming. We appreciate open dialogue with our audience because
    communicating with our viewers helps us do a better job,
    cc. Solange Courteau – Correspondence Officer, CBSC
    Karen Clout – Manager Regulatory Affairs, Canwest Media Inc.
    Ace Mclean – EA Regulatory Affairs, Canwest Media Inc.
    See all comments on this post here.

Being forced off the air in 2 countries within a month! That is some going.

Where will Derval turn up next?

Being forced off the air in 2 countries within a month! That is some going.

Where will Derval turn up next?

Maybe she'll be 'forced' to do the red carpet like Lauren.....;)

Any info on the South African one?

As far as I recall Canada only had a few hours of the show at weekends so from Telemedia's viewpoint it may not have been profitable and they pulled it.

Maybe she'll be 'forced' to do the red carpet like Lauren.....;)

Any info on the South African one?
    I can't find any info on Telemedia South African exploits. Certainly nothing on youtube.

The web page doesn't say very much either.

I can't find any info on Telemedia South African exploits. Certainly nothing on youtube.

All I could find was that it is called Quiz Night Live on SABC3 12 - 2a.m.
    I couldn't find any utube videos either.

• Advertisement

SA Web Page It's not much.

So since its beening axed in Ireland are ye launching a campaign against them in a different country??!?!?!

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

So since its beening axed in Ireland are ye launching a campaign against them in a different country??!?!?!

Look at the post above....(no appropriate words can anwer your question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭farryakafaz

Just one of the memories I have that stay's in my mind and makes me laugh.
    I'd like to share.

About 4 mths. back CarolK and myself were posting about JG. She wanted to know his age and said he looked fit, and I said he looked very toned of recent times. About 5 minutes later he lifts up his tshirt and walks to the camera...At that point I realised, this board was being read, and relayed.
    So when he was on again, I posted about his arms being very toned, and true to form, he walked over to camera (to get something?) and showed off his arm. Well the laughs I got from that, and still do, when I think about, are precious. :cool:

Gosh... I haven't been on this thread in AGES.
    And now I find that Playtv is over.... oh well... I had stopped watching it really, after JG left. I only caught one or two episodes in that past few months, and I was kind of surprised at this Aoife one. (Her name is Aoife, right?). She struck as too quiet for presenting.

Oh and I just remembered that I promised months ago to post up that video of the last episode that JG appeared on (the one with the bathroom break...) I've still to get round to it. But I'm really busy with college exams, so it'll have to wait until early June.

PS: Has nobody recorded that JG moment which you mentioned above, at all ??? For all posterity?

PS: Has nobody recorded that JG moment which you mentioned above, at all ??? For all posterity?

• Advertisement

A classic TV moment there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carolluke1

Just one of the memories I have that stay's in my mind and makes me laugh.
    I'd like to share.

About 4 mths. back CarolK and myself were posting about JG. She wanted to know his age and said he looked fit, and I said he looked very toned of recent times. About 5 minutes later he lifts up his tshirt and walks to the camera...At that point I realised, this board was being read, and relayed.
    So when he was on again, I posted about his arms being very toned, and true to form, he walked over to camera (to get something?) and showed off his arm. Well the laughs I got from that, and still do, when I think about, are precious. :cool:

Ah, yes, PRECIOUS, Moments like that don't happen too often (except of course the moments on PLAYTV.:D

Jeepers it's almost all a distant memory now!!!!

That is a precious piece. Very interesting though the way when he mentions going to the toilet, obviously with his mike still on, that they suddenly start giving the dial tone sound....pity ha ha! (might have missed an even better PTV experience)

First time last night I turned over to Brainbox. Heard 2 familiar voices, Gerry and Keith. Also a guy rang in from Donegal and gave his name as Bond - it was a game guess the other word WATER..... HE gave GATE and it was wrong. Carmel commented then on the Bond name saying (certainly not a first name)"oh I suppose there were different Bonds over the years"! Also they almost had a Noel episode with a guy phoning, probably had been at the pub, saying "drinking water" and she said no, "it's water something" and caller from Limerick replies "Ballygowan", no tells him again it's water.... and he gives a third answer (i forget) but it was really funny. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

108757.jpg

108758.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement