Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭highnc

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ah the memories of those classic scams, i mean "games"!!

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You beat me to it. :D

This gem about the matchsticks from December 30th was very damming.
    The presenter informed viewers throughout the game that all they had to do was move two matchsticks to create the highest possible number. The Committee noted that the scientific notation „E‟ is a way of writing numbers that accommodates values too large or small to be conveniently written in standard decimal notation. The solution which incorporated a scientific notation was not a number in itself but a representation of a number. It was, accordingly, inaccurate, unreasonable and misleading to ask viewers to find a „number‟. The Committee was of the view that the presentation was misleading, the methodology was misrepresented and therefore, the quiz was conducted unfairly.

Roman numerals on soccer jerseys got hammered on January 5:
    The Committee considered that the high monetary prize available and the high number of wrong answers would have indicated to viewers that the solution was not easy. However, while there was a cryptic nature to solving the puzzle, the Committee considered that the viewer was not sufficiently made aware of this fact. The presenter informed viewers throughout the programme that they only had to „count‟ all the „numbers‟ in the picture. The Committee noted that the only numbers visible were the numbers on each of the team member‟s jersey. The presenter also claimed that the answers provided, the majority of which were under 200, were „close‟ to the solution. The Committee noted the solution provided was 1369. In the Committee‟s view, the answers provided by participants up to that point, could not reasonably be considered „close‟ to this number. There was no winner. The Committee noted the submission of the broadcaster which confirmed that the solution included the use of „several‟ letters visible on the bill boards in the picture as Roman numerals. The Committee considered that it was unreasonable to expect, and unlikely, that viewers would arrive at the correct solution given the nature of the presentation. The Committee was of the view that the presentation was misleading, the level of difficulty was misrepresented and therefore, the quiz was conducted unfairly.

More matchstick madness on January 17:
    The Committee noted that the game involved a puzzle based on matchsticks forming the number 2185. Viewers were asked to create the highest possible number by moving two matchsticks. The complainant raises an issue with the reasonableness of the solution provided which was 2^1E5.

However, on viewing this broadcast, the Committee was of the view that the methodology of the game was misrepresented. The presenter informed viewers throughout the game that all they had to do was move two matchsticks. She also reviewed some of the incorrect answers provided. The possible use of mathematical/scientific notations was not at any time referred to in this review, rather the presenter assessed the validity of the answer by attempting to recreate a higher number using the standard decimal notation. The presenter also noted that another presenter had played the same game and that presenter had heard some fantastic answers and she believed that they were „getting closer and closer to the correct answer‟. However, none of the answers provided up to that point included scientific or mathematical notations such as „E‟ or „^‟. The Committee noted that a scientific notation is a way of writing numbers that accommodates values too large or small to be conveniently written in standard decimal notation. The solution which incorporated a scientific notation was not a number in itself but a representation of a number. It was, accordingly, inaccurate, unreasonable and misleading to ask viewers to find a „number‟. The Committee was of the view that the presentation was misleading, the methodology was misrepresented and therefore, the quiz was conducted unfairly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bond-007 wrote: »
    This gem about the matchsticks from December 30th was very damming.
    The Committee was of the view that the presentation was misleading, the methodology was misrepresented and therefore, the quiz was conducted unfairly.
    Roman numerals on soccer jerseys got hammered on January 5:
    The Committee was of the view that the presentation was misleading, the methodology was misrepresented and therefore, the quiz was conducted unfairly.
    More matchstick madness on January 17:
    Will anybody who called in get their money back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

kbannon wrote: »

I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carolluke1

kbannon wrote: »

Those scammers are long gone, TV3 will accept no responsibility. It's just awful that they got away with it for so long.:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Broadcasting Authority ad just broadcast now on TV3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭enigmatiq

carolluke1 wrote: »
    Those scammers are long gone, TV3 will accept no responsibility. It's just awful that they got away with it for so long.:mad:

Still, it was good fun here for the duration! :)

What was broadcast?

enigmatiq wrote: »
    Still, it was good fun here for the duration! :)

yes, good company and good fun.:D

Frig, missed it
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Crap. Missed it! Didnt think they would do it so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They may have to do it on different days if they were different broadcasts. Midnight TV3 viewing begins again lol.

I think they only need to do them once, since the first lot.

Hopefully they will have to do it more than once to give a higher chance of ex-viewers seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

We could complain to the BAI that it was shown at an unreasonable time and that it should be broadcast again so that boardsies the general public can see it :)

• Advertisement

It is supposed to be shown at the same time as the original transmission went out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

no sign of my six complaints on that list. and my reference numbers were a lot lower than some of those adjudicated complaints.

I see Lauren's back in town, there seems to be some confusion as to where she was for the last few months.

http://www.showbizireland.com/news/april09/07-rogue-model-straight-back-to-compton.shtml

Perhaps someone should put them straight?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thats gas, I saw the notifications in my email inbox, and I was just about to turn on the TV to PlayTV thinking that it was on - last two posts roughly the same time as the previous start of it!

Thats gas, I saw the notifications in my email inbox, and I was just about to turn on the TV to PlayTV thinking that it was on - last two posts roughly the same time as the previous start of it!

Old habits die hard!

• Advertisement

That showbiz ireland site won't let me submit a comment. could be that my IP address is on the wrong side of the M50 :D

Not a single mention of play TV in the article which I found quite telling. far as I'm concerned that lauren one is damaged goods after Play TV. How many of the BAI complaints relate to broadcasts she participated in? quite a few I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 marganne

Just been lookiing at the info about playtv. Does anyone know what is happening about prize money?? I phoned in on 2nd March for first time ever and won €50, or so I thought!! But then the whole thing went off air a couple of days later. I have emailed them and got no reply!! Thats probably the end of that!

Contact their info line. 0818 270 921

Thanks Bond 007

There is just an answering machine, but l;eft a message, so maybe something will happen. I often watched the show, but the night of 2nd March was the only time I ever rang in and got through straight away. I think they were having a slow night! Some of the puzzles were so daft, but also some of the answers that people gave were ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

marganne wrote: »
    Just been lookiing at the info about playtv. Does anyone know what is happening about prize money?? I phoned in on 2nd March for first time ever and won €50, or so I thought!! But then the whole thing went off air a couple of days later. I have emailed them and got no reply!! Thats probably the end of that!

I'm also a winner from that night - March 2nd - and haven't received the check yet. I'm not worried as I also won on Feb 24th with the check arriving in the post last week. The check was dated March 29th so that was a five week wait. I'm expecting the March 2nd winnings to arrive this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

Did Fiona send ya a picture of herself in a particular pose?!!!

She loved you :pac:

From Canada:
    Burt said on PlayTV Canada is a Scam

This show is a bloody scam and I think Global finally took it off the air. I called in thinking it was a legitimate game to the tune of $42. They showed triangles within triangles having numbers in them and you had to guess the total.

An Irish tart with nice cleavage (but still a dirty, stinkin’, lyin’, cheatin’, filthy, slutty whore of a con artist) cons you into calling and is always soooo disappointed that callers have the wrong answer, then goes on about how someone should have had the correct answer by now. When it comes time for them to show you the answer, they do NOT prove how they got their solution. It’s a scam and I hope it’s off for good.

I believe this show is broadcasted from Hungary. I have seen various hosts and none of them have Canadian accents or Canuck lingo. The Irish slut always refers to the Pound Sign (#) as “hatch”; as in “Call us from your cell phone on Hatch 5656.” How Canadian is that????? LOL, I am surprised anyone called! I only knew what a hatch-symbol was thanks to an Australian friend.

***Now the SUPER GOOD NEWS that will help you, but tick off a lot of cellular phone companies.***

***By law, you can get a refund if, and only if, these calls were your first calls to #-Numbers/900 from your cell phone.*** I got my $42 refunded!

*** Telecom Decision 2006-48-Paragraph 31, known as: FIRST TIME WAIVER FOR 900/# CALLS. Google it or contact the CRTC; but the jist of it states: Amounts on phone bill should be waived by provider. *** (CRTC was helpful and friendly when I spoke to them)

I got Fido to waive the charges, although it took 2 calls and 2 managers to do it.

I believe that the Telephone Companies bear some responsibility to whom they give 900/# numbers—if it’s not legit, then the company didn’t do their homework or signed a bull**** contract with the TV show to collect the $2 from their telephone subscribers.

If cell phone companies are forced to refund money, then hopefully they won’t allow these buttholes to scam their subscribers. I know we got duped and have some responsibility, but telephone companies are NOT completely innocent in this scam in the quest for revenue themselves.

***So, if you were a first time caller of #-numbers from a cell, then call *611 from your cell phone for customer service and demand a refund as per: Telecom Decision 2006-48-Paragraph 31; like mentioned… I got it and I have learned my lesson!***

Most cell phone companies will re-rate your bill from 3 – 6 months ago. (Don’t let them tell you that it is too late.)
    Sorry for this being so long, please tell everyone you know who called “PlayTV Canada Scam Show”

Please tell everyone you know who called in and let us know if you got your refund.

Thank you

There are similar rules here that not many victims would know about.

Also any calls made by under 18's must be refunded. Again many would not know of this.

Burt has a way with words!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Final check arrived yesterday.

Final reckoning today at the BAI.

I got my cheque today also. Whoopee!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 PlayTVFan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

Shame she wasn't presenting the irish version, it don't matter what language she speaks in either, preferably her native language though:P

• Advertisement

so they are doing the dodgy E numbers over there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Anyone record the apology broadcast by TV3?

Which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Which one?

Any of them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

PlayTVFan wrote: »
    She' scorchio!

Elmo wrote: »
    Anyone record the apology broadcast by TV3?
    Elmo wrote: »
    Any of them.

It's been posted more than once. e.g. here

Results form the latest BAI meeting are out. ;)

Not on site yet though.

Nope.

Only got the letters this morning. ;)

• Advertisement

990wu9.jpg
    5d06bp.jpg
    97i4at.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement