Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving without NCT but with a booking?

• 07-07-2009 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Basically i have bought my first car, taxed it, insured it etc. but my NCT test isn't until August, i have my booking sheet on my windscreen near my tax disc for the Gardai but could i get in trouble and am i legally allowed to drive it?
    I'm just asking because i still drive without NTC and just a booking and so far nothing happened but i'm going to Oxegen and there will be alot of Gardai officers so im just wondering if they will be 'cool' with it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Basically i have bought my first car, taxed it, insured it etc. but my NCT test isn't until August, i have my booking sheet on my windscreen near my tax disc for the Gardai but could i get in trouble and am i legally allowed to drive it?
    I'm just asking because i still drive without NTC and just a booking and so far nothing happened but i'm going to Oxegen and there will be alot of Gardai officers so im just wondering if they will be 'cool' with it.

Thanks
    You do not have a nct so you cannot use the car !Does not matter if it is booked in ,it does NOT have a nct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Yea ther is a Grace period..no problem.
    Its not your fault they keep failing cars for stupid things so as to getb the retest fee,which leaves to many cars still in the system.
    But once you have a test date you will be ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

thetyreman wrote: »
    Yea ther is a Grace period..no problem.
    Its not your fault they keep failing cars for stupid things so as to getb the retest fee,which leaves to many cars still in the system.
    But once you have a test date you will be ok...
    Completly wrong !

upthedub wrote: »
    You do not have a nct so you cannot use the car !Does not matter if it is booked in ,it does NOT have a nct.

Technically nobody without a valid NCT can drive because they are not insured,but the guards dont inforce this..What the OP is worried about is the new rule of getting points on his licence because he has no NCT,which the Guards are giveing time for a person to get sorted,once he has a booking he is ok....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

Technically nobody without a valid NCT can drive because they are not insured,but the guards dont inforce this..What the OP is worried about is the new rule of getting points on his licence because he has no NCT,which the Guards are giveing time for a person to get sorted,once he has a booking he is ok....
    ya heard the same off a gard. System is backed up, especially with them failing me for a bit of rubber missing on my clutch pedal...and I mean a tiny bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

In all fairness, after watching 4 episodes of Traffic Blues now I would safely say a blind eye will be turned on you, seeing how lenient they were on drivers with far more serious crimes. Just don't piss any of them off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

always address them as Garda this and Garda that

be polite. don't lie. make sure nobody in car is messing if you are talked to.

You'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

You are always insured. So long as you've paid up thats what insurance is. They except the liabilty for a fee. This is a long standing myth that certain things can void your insurance policy. Nothing can void your policy as far as Im aware except none payment. What can happen though is that the insurance company can come after you in a civil case to prove neglegance or liability at your end. Take a drunk person for example. Their insurance isnt void if they have an accident when driving over the limit, the insurance still pays out. But the insurance company can then persue them after.. ......Back to the NCT. There is no grace period. You should not be driving with no NCT. BUT I dont know a guard in the country who would bother doing you for it unless you gave him/her some other good reason to have a go at you in the first place. Only my opinion mind...;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

In a car last week as a passenger and we come up to a check point. The NCT has expired but the owner has a test date for Sept. He shows the Garda the letter and we proceed on with the journey when the Garda says that's fine.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    You are always insured. So long as you've paid up thats what insurance is. They except the liabilty for a fee. This is a long standing myth that certain things can void your insurance policy. Nothing can void your policy as far as Im aware except none payment. What can happen though is that the insurance company can come after you in a civil case to prove neglegance or liability at your end. Take a drunk person for example. Their insurance isnt void if they have an accident when driving over the limit, the insurance still pays out. But the insurance company can then persue them after.. ......Back to the NCT. There is no grace period. You should not be driving with no NCT. BUT I dont know a guard in the country who would bother doing you for it unless you gave him/her some other good reason to have a go at you in the first place. Only my opinion mind...;)

Not so technically the car should not be on the road without a NCT pass cert,(not road worthy)so if push comes to shove the insurance co can walk away if anything happens,the only reason they insure you and dont ask for a cert is because they know this and will just take the premium anyway so they cant loose,,,,,i know of this happening in a case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They in any event must pay out on a third party claim. They cannot get out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Thanks
    if car isnt due to be NCT'd till August you have nothing to worry bout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....without a NCT pass cert,(not road worthy)

Complete and utter fiction. The NCT is not a guarantee of roadworthiness. Once you drive out the door of the NCT station, you're on your own, and the NCT guarantee's nothing. This is why insurance companies use, and need, assessors.
    .....so if push comes to shove the insurance co can walk away if anything happens,the only reason they insure you and dont ask for a cert is because they know this and will just take the premium anyway so they cant loose,,,,,i know of this happening in a case

...again, pure fiction. Under the Road Traffic Act, once you have an policy and cert issued to you, you are covered, irrespective. You cannot be prosecuted for no insurance, and the company cannot walk away. This has already been ruled on, years ago, in the courts.

What an insurance company can do is pay out, and then, separately, in a civil suit, sue you to recoup their money.

Less of the scaremongering.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks
    sorry if you bought this car new why is not already NCT'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

OP, I'd seriously disregard what 'thetyreman' is saying.

If you were to believe all of those scare tactics you probably wouldn't leave your house in the first place.

Especially don't believe that insurance urban myth, because from experience, insurance companies don't give a crap about tax or NCT, whether it's on your car or the other party's.

Anyways, there's plenty of perfectly innocent people who's NCT legitimately ran out a month or so ago, which coincided with the latest NCT crackdown, and they (as normal) went and booked themselves in without realising they'd need to do it waaay in advance because our tiny little backward country can't process the amount of tests that have recently flooded in..

That's not the drivers fault and having a booking print-out in your car in the event of getting pulled over will, 99 times out of 100, be enough for the Garda if they happen to ask for it.

The Garda are people just like us, who are probably also in a long queue to get their own private cars NCT'd as well.

So just relaaaaaaaaax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭L_gaucho

sorry if you bought this car new why is not already NCT'd.

He didn't say it was new, he just bought a car..

Vertakill wrote: »
    OP, I'd seriously disregard what 'thetyreman' is saying.

If you were to believe all of those scare tactics you probably wouldn't leave your house in the first place.

Especially don't believe that insurance urban myth, because from experience, insurance companies don't give a crap about tax or NCT, whether it's on your car or the other party's.

Anyways, there's plenty of perfectly innocent people who's NCT legitimately ran out a month or so ago, which coincided with the latest NCT crackdown, and they (as normal) went and booked themselves in without realising they'd need to do it waaay in advance because our tiny little backward country can't process the amount of tests that have recently flooded in..

That's not the drivers fault and having a booking print-out in your car in the event of getting pulled over will, 99 times out of 100, be enough for the Garda if they happen to ask for it.

The Garda are people just like us, who are probably also in a long queue to get their own private cars NCT'd as well.

So just relaaaaaaaaax!

I'd have to agree with all this. I'm in the same boat, NCT is out since end May, no test date till September.
    No way they can prosecute you either. In the past , you got a letter reminding you , with a provisional booking (usually a month before) . That has stopped, I noticed this , and went to do my own booking (3 weeks in advance of expiry), and could only get Sept. This is the systems fault.
    I have the booking printed out, and in the glove box...

L_gaucho wrote: »
    He didn't say it was new, he just bought a car..
    well then driver doesnt need to get it NCT'd till August then. but strange to buy a car that had not been NCT'd recently. must have got it cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Ive passed 3 check points accompanying my sister who is learning to drive, her nct expired end of april and the earliest booking she got was august. Two of the check points waved us on without any questions after checking the disks, the third I simply showed the garda the booking sheet and he was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd have to agree with all this. I'm in the same boat, NCT is out since end May, no test date till September.
    No way they can prosecute you either. In the past , you got a letter reminding you , with a provisional booking (usually a month before) . That has stopped, I noticed this , and went to do my own booking (3 weeks in advance of expiry), and could only get Sept. This is the systems fault.

Gaucho, ring up every couple of days first thing in the morning and see if you can get a cancellation.
    I booked my NCT on June 11th and got the end of October for a booking! I rang back a couple of times over the next week and got my NCT done on Monday 6th July .... got a cancellation. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

always address them as Garda this and Garda that

be polite. don't lie. make sure nobody in car is messing if you are talked to.

You'll be grand.

Always address a Garda as Sergeant. Makes them feel more important!! :D

gyppo wrote: »
    Always address a Garda as Sergeant. Makes them feel more important!! :D
    what if they are a higher rank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

what if they are a higher rank?

Doing traffic duty??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

and went to do my own booking (3 weeks in advance of expiry), and could only get Sept. This is the systems fault.
    You can change the booking online, a bit of patience and you'll have an NCT within a week or two. It's not the system's fault, it's the fault of people clogging up the system with appointments they don't keep. I've done two cars recently, in neither case did I have to wait more than 10 days.

Doing traffic duty??
    never call a policeman by rank. they would know if you were buttering them up.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Gaucho, ring up every couple of days first thing in the morning and see if you can get a cancellation.
    I booked my NCT on June 11th and got the end of October for a booking! I rang back a couple of times over the next week and got my NCT done on Monday 6th July .... got a cancellation. :)

To be honest, I'd quite happy to wait till Sept, reckon I'll have to spend a little to get it through, will be more flush then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

never call a policeman by rank. they would know if you were buttering them up.

T'was said in jest, my good man. Hence the :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To be honest, I'd quite happy to wait till Sept, reckon I'll have to spend a little to get it through, will be more flush then...
    Truth comes dropping slow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

My NCT expired and I could not get a test date until November so went ahead and booked anyway. Walked in about 2 weeks ago, gave them the booking page clearly showing a November test date.

They checked the system and then said I was not booked in for that day but when I explained that I needed it tested urgently as the NCT expired they said ok and went ahead with the test.

• Advertisement

gyppo wrote: »
    T'was said in jest, my good man. Hence the :D
    sorry. My Bad!

Advertisement