Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Source Engine replay spec entering beta soon

Options
  • 08-07-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭

Record

Stop

Record

Stop

I ****ing had the demo files. Actually never used them. Difficult to work with, tbh. And you never think to run one until youve already done something spectacular anyway. That moment is gone forever! Oh woe!

Until now!
    Via email, Valve mentioned that it was developing a new demo type format — for Team Fortress 2 or perhaps all Steam Games. This comes as players have been breaking demo files after downloading new updates.

Tell us about that Robin Walker! The Valve developer explains, "It's getting close to being releasable in a beta form."

The basic idea is that after players die or finish a round you are particularly proud of, you can ask the server to send you a demo of it. "The server then sends you a demo that it recorded, which has the complete game state instead of just what your client saw, and it's in a format that's robust and won't break as easily when we update the game," Walker adds. "In addition, the format has a some side benefits, like supporting full backwards and forwards time scrubbing."
    Not bad!

The way it should have been all along... but we'll forgive them. ta.
    http://kotaku.com/5308976/new-demo-format-for-team-fortress-2-nearing-beta

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Indeed - sorting through fecked user submitted demo files has been a nightmare for server managment. Tis good news.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Nice, now I just need to do something epically cool which is demo worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeh. i need to get back into source games again altogether :p oblivion is still eating up all my game time and looks set to be doing that for a few more weeks at least. For Akatosh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Overheal wrote: »
    yeh. i need to get back into source games again altogether :p oblivion is still eating up all my game time and looks set to be doing that for a few more weeks at least. For Akatosh!

TF2 FTW :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

so just an updated version of stv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Oh hey server! Was just wondering if I could get a demo file of that last match?
    Cool, thanks!

Yeah, I'm good, what about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can only imagine the god like omnipotence of admining a server now.

"Nope your ban stands. You called our man a ****tard. Oh, and you got stabbed in the back while you were typing it. Ha HA."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Let me get this straight, is this basically BF2's battle recorder for Steam games? If so and if they can get it working for Left 4 Dead, then it'd be a dream come true for me!

Advertisement